Match Discussion: Game 1 - Sky Blues (A)

PON_News

I know when someone mentions the referee, it does seem like an easy target to blame but honestly, Notts was poor today without or without mentioning him.

However the match officials can take credit for killing the game, including its momentum. Would we have won with a better official? I doubt that very much but we could have drawn. The penalty appeal for me was incorrect, even the Coventry fan who answered our questions for the opposition view said he felt it was. I do think Coventry City fans, and players are used to the diving due to being an higher team. There's no bitterness at all, though this crap shouldn't be acceptable in the Championship let alone League Two.

Very disappointing day.

This doesn't make for good reading. I didn't watch the stream as I was out and about with visitors. I won't be making my (live) ifollow debut until the Wycombe match. How did you watch it @Super_Danny_Allsopp?

The decision to leave Grant on the bench surprised me, I haven't seen Walker play yet but I assumed Grant would have been one of the first names on the teamsheet.

There have been a lot of harsh words aimed at Jones for his performance. While he clearly had a stinker, comments suggesting we should release him straight away are going too far. You can't judge a player on one performance.

How many Notts fans were there in the end? 1500+ is a fantastic following. What did you think of the place? I've never been a fan of the Ricoh myself, much too far out and an absolute pain to get to.

21 minutes ago, DangerousSausage said:

How many Notts fans were there in the end? 1500+ is a fantastic following. What did you think of the place? I've never been a fan of the Ricoh myself, much too far out and an absolute pain to get to.

There were 1,727 Notts fans in attendance, a tremendous show of support given our uninspiring pre-season in terms of results and recruitment.  While The Ricoh is undoubtedly an impressive stadium which would suffice in the Premiership, I can't say I'm a fan of it either.  I'm a bit of a traditionalist and prefer the old school 'four stand' type of ground to these modern 'bowl' arenas.  Add the fact that they don't sell tickets for the end behind the goal opposite us, it makes it hard to create any real atmosphere as well as looking a bit odd with a big empty stand.  I must admit that this afternoon though it was preferable to an open terrace at Accrington when the huge thunderstorm that delayed kick off 10 minutes was at it's peak!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, DangerousSausage said:

This doesn't make for good reading. I didn't watch the stream as I was out and about with visitors. I won't be making my (live) ifollow debut until the Wycombe match. How did you watch it @Super_Danny_Allsopp?

The decision to leave Grant on the bench surprised me, I haven't seen Walker play yet but I assumed Grant would have been one of the first names on the teamsheet.

There have been a lot of harsh words aimed at Jones for his performance. While he clearly had a stinker, comments suggesting we should release him straight away are going too far. You can't judge a player on one performance.

With IFollow using Windows and Chrome - the quality was pretty good to be fair. There were about 5 minutes where it was a bit jittery but apart from that a very decent stream. Not sure why the sound was just noise from the ground and not commentary (should be able to choose home or away commentators). When I loaded Stall and the new guy they were behind at first by 2 seconds, then in front by a second, which was annoying.

I only paid a 5er to watch on the day as £130 quid seemed a lot to shell out on an unknown service. I'm going to the next couple of league games and won't watch the JPT anyway, so I think I will pay another 5er to assess a game and then pay the full £130 if it's decent.

Jones was abysmal though - it wasn't just the one incident where he practically let them score, he did it on numerous occasions. If I were KN I'd honestly be trying to get rid of Dicko and bring in another LB perhaps on loan. 

10 hours ago, Chris said:

I know when someone mentions the referee, it does seem like an easy target to blame but honestly, Notts was poor today without or without mentioning him.

However the match officials can take credit for killing the game, including its momentum. Would we have won with a better official? I doubt that very much but we could have drawn. The penalty appeal for me was incorrect, even the Coventry fan who answered our questions for the opposition view said he felt it was. I do think Coventry City fans, and players are used to the diving due to being an higher team. There's no bitterness at all, though this crap shouldn't be acceptable in the Championship let alone League Two.

Very disappointing day.

The players did most of the momentum killing, and at times the Cov players went down too easily but smart on their part. To stop the game being killed the ref could have produced some yellow cards, but I don't think it would have helped a deal.

I don't think it was a penalty. Whilst I've seen them given, it would've been a very soft penalty indeed. Think the ref was right on that one. However the assistant to Notts fans left was poor. He missed a blatant handball outside the area and made a couple of other wrong decisions, but they were right in front of him and far away from the ref, so can't blame the ref for those. 

I think if the ref donned a Notts' shirt and played for us we would still have lost.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Super_Danny_Allsopp said:

I think if the ref donned a Notts' shirt and played for us we would still have lost.

He certainly couldn't have been any worse than Jones.

If he starts again, even ahead of Mavis the tea lady then we are going to have a long long winter.

Because of our recent past it won't take too many more of those performances for the crowds to drop to pre-Hardy levels.

In general I feel for Nolan as his nice guy attitude has seen him sign last seasons donkeys and his mates son's all because he can't tell someone to do one.

• Like 1

it was terrible! After Coventry first scored I could see it ending higher.

I think we can consider ourselves lucky that they didn't punish us by more. I know we had chances but they was few and far between, Notts just never looked able to go.

I actually thought both teams played okay.

Notts made the usual mistakes that's all but I don't think we matched Coventry in terms of attitude, application or fitness. We looked out of steam after a short while and I think this is a part of the problem. Coventry deserved the win, no questions!

1 hour ago, TheSkipper said:

I actually thought both teams played okay.

Notts made the usual mistakes that's all but I don't think we matched Coventry in terms of attitude, application or fitness. We looked out of steam after a short while and I think this is a part of the problem. Coventry deserved the win, no questions!

It's true we didn't deserve anything from the game , but I thought 3-0 flattered Coventry a bit.  We were never under any sustained pressure, we just gifted them three easy goals.   It's easy to pin the blame on Dan Jones, but we didn't defend well as a team.  The worrying thing for me is that at this stage we look far more likely to concede goals than we do score them.

• Like 2

We had the right idea when we tried to go level, yet bringing on Jorge Grant was left to late for me.

When we throw everyone up, there should be at least two in the middle of defence - maybe a third pressed slightly up (who can make that run into either channels). I just can't believe that when certain players was called upon to back up their team mates they didn't. Dan Jones didn't defend very well, however the same applies to Richard Duffy. He was just watching the goals go on. Put your bodies on the lines lads!

On 6.8.2017 at 09:58, Super_Danny_Allsopp said:

With IFollow using Windows and Chrome - the quality was pretty good to be fair. There were about 5 minutes where it was a bit jittery but apart from that a very decent stream. Not sure why the sound was just noise from the ground and not commentary (should be able to choose home or away commentators). When I loaded Stall and the new guy they were behind at first by 2 seconds, then in front by a second, which was annoying.

I only paid a 5er to watch on the day as £130 quid seemed a lot to shell out on an unknown service. I'm going to the next couple of league games and won't watch the JPT anyway, so I think I will pay another 5er to assess a game and then pay the full £130 if it's decent.

Jones was abysmal though - it wasn't just the one incident where he practically let them score, he did it on numerous occasions. If I were KN I'd honestly be trying to get rid of Dicko and bring in another LB perhaps on loan. 

Thanks for this. I wasn't aware that you could pay on a match-by-match basis at all, it only seems to have been communicated on Friday, weeks after the annual subscriptions went on sale (hmmm). I was also under the impression you could only watch matches on the app, which was the main sticking point with me (and wasn't cleared up when I contacted them directly either). Hopefully there will be something decent to watch on it soon.