Ben Hall and Mason Bennett in on loan

Chris

So, what do you think?

We've got the positions we required but are you happy with the players who have been added? Without seeing either play, I feel it would be harsh to criticise. I know nothing about Ben Hall, Mason Bennett is a little different. He was once considered to have HUGE potential and I know Derby fought off teams like United to hold onto him.

He might not have done much recently, however he's got pace and should fit in well within League Two.

What do you make of the two deadline day signings? Are you happy, content? Let PON know...

The Bennett signing is a last minute oh sh1te deal.

He's another Spencer Weir-Daley, amazing at 15 but that was his peak, he isn't good enough.

We've seen some properly poor players at Notts but could imagine paying to watch Bennett & Saunders up front together?

Nor could I, you just wouldn't pay money to watch dross like that.

Good bits of business by Notts. Got the two positions we needed. I would have took Lavery over Bennett but I hear he's been on the fringes of the Derby first team this season according to their fans. Grant's goalscoring record wasn't great before he came here so I will give him a chance but for me he has now got to focus and produce the goals to send us to League One.

Think he offers something different, so look forward to seeing how he gets on - plus it's an alternative to the older players up front, who's hold-up play could work with a guy like him. Happy with our business (the Yates situation seemed out of our hands). One thing I would agree with some of the fan comments is that whilst I love Hardy's honest and direct approach, feel like it would do him good to be a bit more subtle on the detail - saying we were looking for a striker rather than a '20 goals a season championship striker' got everyone way too excited, hence the disappointed reaction by many fans (which isn't fair on Mason Bennett, or Notts on their effort to sort an area we all wanted another option in).

I think as fans, we need to really sort out how we act ourselves. We've had one poor month, but still so much time to go and to sort it out. Don't get on Hardy's/Nolan's/the players' back when they're the best people we have had in a while. I've sadly had to move away from Notts for a bit, but for the games I have made this year - they were a far cry from games like Morecambe or Cambridge at home last year, when there seemed just as many away fans as home and the game was over before it even started. 

Backing the boys to get back on track, happier for them to get this spell out their system now and get on with taking us back to League 1

Yeah I'm pleased with the signings. Let's face it, we weren't going to get a star 20-a-season striker or a first-team rock of a centre-back in January when the season's still in full swing.

Both seem to have good pedigree, although Hall might need some time to acclimatise given he seemingly hasn't played a first-team game for a while (Brighton have largely kept him in the U23s), while Bennett has played Championship games so he should be able to be thrown right in.

After a poor January on the league front, it's important to get back on track, and with these players able to give the first-team defenders a little more of a break to cater for wear and tear, plus up front giving Stead and Ameobi a little more rest time (not to mention a return to the 4-4-2) we *should*, hopefully be okay.

He's still got a good amount of potential, sometimes it takes players to reach their prime longer than others.

You can excel as a youngster, then fall of the map but natural talent and ability is something that remains until you lose your legs (usually). I think Bennett will be a useful signing, it might not be our first choice but he does have pace.

Playing in League Two could do him wonders also, so hopefully an early goal will see his confidence boost.

Let's face it, we have done well with other loan players.

I think both signings prove that the original targets did not come to fruition as I can't believe this pair would not have been available at the start of January, let alone the end.

Bennett is the type of forward I thought we should have taken a gamble on at the start of the season (young & raw), bot in January when we needed someone proven, whilst I know nothing about hall, but he has played league games in Scotland, so is not a complete novice.

If we look at January as a whole, I think it has been poor:

Is Hall better that Hollis? Maybe

Is Noble, Virtue & Husin a better midfield three than Yates & Thompson who have gone? No

Bennett has been added to the front line, so we know that as a group it is now better, but whether he can get in the 1st XI regular is another matter.

Is the squad better at the end of January than the beginning? Possibly

Is the first XI better at the end of January than the beginning? I would have to say no, as losing Yates is a bigger loss than any gains.

Other sides have made some very good signings, so I will be very surprised if we stay in the top 3 and it would not surprise me if we don't make the playoffs.

Hall and Bennett seem reasonable squad additions, its for them to prove themselves and to secure a regular starting position.

It's not going to happen unless they earn it.

And besides I trust Kevin's judgement, so I think they will be useful to have around.

I think Ben Hall could only be cover for the other two centre backs. Which may not be a bad thing as it gives KN time to work and develop him (although he only has a few months left to work his way in). He may be better for a longer term loan next season as in the case of Grant.

We were never going to afford the striker we all wanted to see. The first choice was Walker from over the river but we got duped again. I hope the boy Bennett proves to be a hit giving the option of pace and he is a powerful lad.

our rivals all seem to have done better In January and therefore I doubt we will finish in the top 3 and maybe struggle to reach play off’s (unless results improve dramatically). I truly hope I am wrong, good luck to AH, KN and the lads.

On 01/02/2018 at 13:13, liampie said:

i dont know much about either players.

what does the resident ram fan @super_ram think? can mason be a good addition to the notts squad?

He's quick, strong and a trier @liampie He's also been out on loan a lot and was out injured for 4/5 months in 2016.I seem to remember Gary Rowett issuing him with a challenge to force his way back into 1st team contention at the beginning of the season.He did this albeit fleetingly.He'll certainly do better than the last 2 players we loaned Notts.I have a feeling some critics will be eating their words come May.I hope so !

Archived