Do you feel modern music is awful?

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,144
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

So, I'm trying to unwind after a pretty busy day and I stumbled across a video on YouTube which caught my eye - solely based on the title 'The TRUTH Why Modern Music Is Awful'.

I found it very interesting, I constantly moan about how awful the music is today to @Joe Jones, @Magic magpie, @super_ram and @cheeky~k8.

It's absolutely awful the majority of songs, autotuning is too common and lyrics aren't at all poetic.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,773
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

You’re obviously getting old @Chris every generation criticises the next generations music, it’s happened since time began.

If you want to hear proper music listen to 60s and 70s.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,144
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Ah, I know that but it really is getting crapper. Very generic music! (Jake thinks so, he's like me)

1 minute ago, Fan of Big Tone said:

You’re obviously getting old @Chris every generation criticises the next generations music, it’s happened since time began.

If you want to hear proper music listen to 60s and 70s.

For me, you can't beat the 80's but I do enjoy the 60's and 70's too.

Even some of the 90's is pretty decent, until the later stage but it went downhill after the 00's.

• Content Count:  10,773
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

My Dad used to berate me when I played my records on the old Dansette (@super_ram will remember them), my dad used to play Jazz and big band swing music like Glen Miller.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  284
  • Days Won:  0

The quality of modern music I do feel is quite poor, it seems more driven to targeted audience rather than it being for the mainstream.

Some isn't that bad, you have to pick and choose. 

• Content Count:  12,939
  • Days Won:  162

i would say its mostly terrible.

i dont listen to the radio anymore, so i only hear things when im about or at work but i dont get no enjoyment from it.

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  2,894
  • Days Won:  229

The kind of music that gets overplayed by commercial radio and gets to the top of the charts has always been awful. These "songs" are usually throwaway, disposable tracks that never last the test of time.

Time is a sort of filter - the great songs will be remembered for years to come, while the rubbish gets forgotten, or at best ends up forming part of the "cheese/novelty" playlist at future nights out.

But the problem is this leads to rose-tinted spectacles and this undeserved nostalgia - I will listen to iconic songs from yesteryear on Youtube and the comments will say "oh music in the (insert decade here) was so much better than now" or "I wish I lived in (insert decade)". But if you were around back then and listened to the radio, there was always loads of garbage with a few genuinely good tracks few and far between.

Take the 80s for example. For every, I dunno, Queen, or New Order, or Smiths, there were nine Bananaramas or Kylie Minogues or Jason Donovans.

The 90s, one of my favourite decades for music. We remember the likes of Oasis and the Prodigy and the Stone Roses, but at the time the radio was saturated with godawful boy/girl bands like Boyzone, Spice Girls, Take That, Vengaboys, 911, Atomic Kitten etc etc etc... and Westlife. ALWAYS BLOODY WESTLIFE ALL THE TIME AARGH!

Great music is and has always and will always be there, you've just got to look for it through the rubbish, say on the niche shows on Radio 1 as opposed to the daytime garbage, and certainly not by listening to Crappital FM.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  3,589
  • Days Won:  75

Quite right @Joe Jones. Music is part of the everyday motion of life and as such people will remember songs to match events etc... They will always forget the dross that accompanied that great song or whatever.

Music is also individual, like a form of art. The only time you really get a consensus is when you’re at a concert with other fans of the said music. And even then they’ll argue which is the greatest song etc...

No ‘good’ band or artist has placed an emphasis on the top ten. Not for at least thirty years now. The nostalgic days of youth seeing where the new single landed has gone and will never be repeated. So artists need to be judged on ability to surprise or keep the music ‘alive.’

That being said, I find new artists by actually following people in the bands I enjoy. Example, who they choose as the support acts, who they listen to and openly promote.

Radio has taken a massive dip in listeners because of the incessant need to repeat songs that they are paid to promote. They aren’t hits. They just have a good firm pushing them to be played.

Nostalgia is great with music, but there aren’t many bands who are still pulling crowds now. U2 and Depeche Mode still massive, but the rest fall off numbers wise.

It also needs considering the impact of different parts of the world in music. Are we going backwards by believing success on English radio means success across the globe? Does a band like One Direction deserve credit for their sales, or dismissed as another manufactured boy band that did ok across the pond, but couldn’t set the world on fire.

Music. It’s a funny old game!

Archived