If Michael O'Connor leaves, who should be our next captain?

CliftonMagpie

I would hope we don't just hand it over to Richard Duffy, we can't just give it to him and if it was to happen it would show how he's almost guaranteed to be playing regularly. If we are to improve we need him to be replaced and I don't feel he's professional enough to be the captain.

If Michael O'Connor leaves, who should be our next captain?

i think we would need to see who signs, i expect noble or duffy to be in the running at the moment.

i would avoid giving it to either of them personally, like i would with stead. tootle would be a good shout, i think he would lead well by example and be someone who could help drive us forward by his leadership.

There's people that could be a good caption within the squad, there's experience and passionate players and good leaders for me are a mixture of these two things. Richard Duffy for me doesn't act professional enough, he doesn't lead and just argues. I think it's counter productive personally, yet Dan Jones, Shaun Brisley, Matt Tootle, Elliot Hewitt are all fine candidates for me.

I would opt for Brisley due to how consistent he was last season and for the fact that he motives the players around him.

There is scope for bringing in some leadership qualities, I have no idea if Kane Hemmings or Kristian Dennis bring anything to the table.

Here's another good discussion similar to this one. Thoughts?

Matt Tootle or Shaun Brisley for me.

They lead by example and don't overreact to decisions like Richard Duffy does. The times he would get booked for getting in the referees face all angrily, passion is fine but you need your captain to keep a cool head. Michael O'Connor would be a player we will miss as we did during his injury, I am hopeful we can convince him to sign the new deal but Tootle and Brisley would be good calls.

1 hour ago, super_pie said:

If o'Connor leaves Dan Jones should be our next captain because he's a good players who at times controlled our defence.

i am starting to sway towards dan jones or matt tootle myself, knowing kn he will pick someone baffling.

Supporter+

Well I really hope that O’Connor signs I think he is vital to our campaign next season but if the unthinkable happens then from the present squad Tootle for me would be a good leader.

If the rumours are to believed we undervalued his services and have offered him a third deal, after Michael O'Connor allegedly knocked the first two back.

The club gave him his armband back, he impressed as a player in the glimpses we saw and I would find it hard to believe we tried to get him to sign terms on a reduced contract. If he does go, Elliot Hewitt or Matt Tootle would be perfect for the role.

Matt Tootle or Shaun Brisley would be good players to consider.

I think the pair have exceptional qualities which would make them a great leader on the pitch, Brisley for me being someone who may get overlooked due to quietly going about his job.

Give it to Matt Tootle since he has a good bond with the players and fans, he's someone who always lift his arms to encourage people to up there game and he is someone who will mostly play the majority of the season.

Please don't give it Liam Noble or Richard Duffy.

The captain should be in midfield in my opinion, so someone like Elliot Hewitt would be suitable. I'm not against Liam Noble being the captain but he would have to pick up his game as I struggle to see where he would fit in otherwise.

I've got nothing against Duffy being made club captain, but then I'm hoping that he will be replaced in the starting line up this summer. As for on the field, I don't think we have any stand out candidates and would probably give it to Hewitt if I'm honest as it will hopefully improve him.

1 hour ago, Fozzy said:

I've got nothing against Duffy being made club captain, but then I'm hoping that he will be replaced in the starting line up this summer

Likewise, I don't mind Duffy either but he does need to replaced which would take him out of the frame unless Nolan plans to share the duty which wouldn't work well.

• 2 weeks later...

I would give it Matt Tootle personally, he's a team player and has a lot of passion which could encourage his team mates. Richard Duffy never acted in the interest of what a captain and leader should, arguing none stop and swearing.

Elliot Hewitt would be a good option but only in a few years.

Archived