Experienced manager required.

KB1862

Now that Harry Kewell is gone should we start looking for someone with experience? 

Given our current position and how disappointing this season is turning out to be surely we need to be looking into getting a manager who has a great reputation in league 2 and can get us out of this rot. 

Neal Ardley, recently left Wimbledon, could be a great shout. Has a great managerial cv. 

We need to stop recruiting rookie managers in the past it hasn't worked. Fullerton, less said the better. 

Nolan, felt he did great last season reaching play offs and great cup run however we should have been automatically promoted but form wasn't great. 

Kewell, didn't seem the man who could turn us round and that strange decision to replace dennis with Duffy was probably the last straw realistically. 

Phil Brown, has been sacked by Swindon Town, another possible manager to look at. 

6 minutes ago, Bainbridge NCFC said:

Now that Harry Kewell is gone should we start looking for someone with experience? 

Given our current position and how disappointing this season is turning out to be surely we need to be looking into getting a manager who has a great reputation in league 2 and can get us out of this rot. 

Neal Ardley, recently left Wimbledon, could be a great shout. Has a great managerial cv. 

We need to stop recruiting rookie managers in the past it hasn't worked. Fullerton, less said the better. 

Nolan, felt he did great last season reaching play offs and great cup run however we should have been automatically promoted but form wasn't great. 

Kewell, didn't seem the man who could turn us round and that strange decision to replace dennis with Duffy was probably the last straw realistically. 

Phil Brown, has been sacked by Swindon Town, another possible manager to look at. 

@Bainbridge NCFC"Phil Brown....." You cannot be serious...but would keep Tanning salons in Nottingham in business.

Ardley, Hurst, Bowyer, Appleton...all good cv's and have worked with minimal budgets

Notts needs someone with experience but most importantly an understand of League Two football.

They have to be able to spend a budget wisely, know how to build a team and can adapt their tactics based on who we play. It's perfectly fine to say the club needs to be playing 'pretty football' but when you come against teams like Yeovil, Crawley and Stevenage you need to break them down by being much more smarter than that. There's a host of assets and skills required to do well, being a good man manager and coach can only get you so far.

Harry Kewell may have been a good coach but his man-management left a lot to be answered.

Just a sensible decision, someone who can get the best out of the club and take us forward. Quit with this 3-5 year plans, hire someone who can do a job this season and we can go from there. If they do well enough extend, if not - allow someone else to take over before the pre-season starts.

Paul Hurst or Appleton for me. Although I have just seen a rumour suggesting Appleton isn't interested. Hurst would be my ideal appointment but if not then it would be Ardley. Nolan would get us out this mess but not necessarily ready to mount a promotion push. 

We need someone with Plan A,B and C if things go wrong. As @Chris stated above Kewell's man management was woeful and left players wondering what was going on I think. 

We need someone on a 1 year and a half contract which would give them a season and a half to prove what they can do. Im not overly worried about the 25 managers in 20 years statistic as theres no loyalty in football anyway and further down the leagues survival is everything. 

40 minutes ago, Bainbridge NCFC said:

Might only be one game, could even be a one off, but after tonight should we see how Chettle goes till end of December and then bring in a manager so he has a January window to work in and build squad? 

did chettle take charge tonight?

i hope we dont give him the role until december, you need a manager who can sort the squad and start to shape them before the transfer window opens. we might be able to offload some of the dead wood but i would not entrust chettle to do this due to his lack of experience.

No, no... Let's hire someone who can take the job forward.

We have given a temporary manager the chance to handle a month before, they end up being awful and still managing to keep the job. No point re-hiring Kevin Nolan. Someone new and sensible please, a manager who works well with players and has a good track record in League Two.

14 hours ago, Bainbridge NCFC said:

@samwatto2008 probably one of the few but I'd be happy to have him back. Especially after his interview the day after he was sacked. Think he could of turned things round eventually. 

sorry, I would not have Nolan back...spent allegedly £300k or so, yet the squad is weaker. You cannot give the guy another chequebook in January and risk blowing the cash again.  

@Piethagoram I'm sure there was a report that Alan Hardy wanted to sign majority of them players and released some of the plays Nolan wanted to keep to make way for the new players arriving. Nolan had a list of players and Hardy did the rest. Nolan wasn't given enough time with the new set of players. We are league two not Premier league players take longer to gel. 

I can't believe fans are wanting Kevin Nolan back after quite a lot wanted him gone, I am unsure what's exactly changed but I do not think Alan Hardy would accept he was wrong by re-appointing him.

Also anyone who wants Steve Chettle, please remind yourself what generally happens with inexperienced managers?

Both these two are not prime candidates and there is far better available at the moment.

I think the word "experienced" could be applied to most managers who have had a few jobs, like those who get sacked by every club. They're experienced with getting the sack! 😆

I think Notts needs to find someone who has proven themselves at this level or the next/below. Someone who get a team playing well, sign a good squad and manage players. Tactics is important too.

@CliftonMagpie considering we've had rookie managers over the past couple of years, I think it's safe to say we need experienced manager. If they were terrible before they wouldn't be that experienced really as opposed to those who have experience in doing a good job. 

@upthepies I didn't want Nolan gone, I thought he could have turned it round. But we won't know for sure. It's all ifs and buts. What I think is give Chettle the job till December end then appoint new manager so he has a window to work in. 

@cheeky~k8 Nolan would come back based on what he said in the after sacking interview but Hardy might look 2 ways and try to rectify things or he will keep to his word and appoint new well known manager who has a history and great reputation in this league 

Archived