KB1862

Pickfords criticism and England Goalkeepers

https://www.tremr.com/1862kb-/is-there-a-curse-on-england-goalkeepers

I wrote the above article months ago and following recent criticisms of Pickford and who should be number one for England, i thought it'd be relevant to bring it up.

Me personally, Pickford does good for England but clearly lacking confidence so would you want a low confidence keeper in a major tournament when Henderson and Pope are in good form?

englands main issue is by putting all their eggs in one basket, they have nobody else to take the pressure off him and very limited experience from other keepers.

his move to everton has been a failure, it looked a good move on paper but its played part in it.

too much expectation on one persons shoulders but i think he deserves to be numbers 1 when in good form.

@liampie exactly my point mate. There's never really been competition for Goalkeepers it's always been a set person. But surely now he's looking over his shoulder

England should swallow their pride and ask Joe Hart to mentor Jordan Pickford, JP is the future but JH has been made to be an escape goat for England's weak defence.

They’ve hyped Jordan Pickford from day one, our media love doing it and then kicking them down when possible.

What most fans don’t realise is this type of stuff stunts players growth, then their full potential isn’t reached. Pickford is a fantastic young keeper, yet his England experience only came due to the national teams failure to find suitable cover.

We have many talented keepers, but by giving preference to one.

There’s limited experience to cover, playing on the international scene is different.

I thought the move to Everton would seal him to be successful, however, the clubs been pretty iffy. It’s not down to Pickford, I think he’s done as well as anyone would.

Yet these doubts can’t be shaken off when he returns to international duty.

No player should be guaranteed a start without being in good form.

But this has always been a weakness for England, David Seaman for example played well throughout his England career, but despite good league keepers being there we had limited cover.

Tim Flowers, Ian Walker, Nigel Martin etc.

All of these tended to struggle when called upon.

• Like 1

I have some sympathy with keepers. When forwards miss sitters its"at least he's getting into good positions", if a midfield man passes astray or the ball goes under his foot, he has the chance to get it back. If a defender misses a tackle or is outdone by an attacker, he can foul him and he's done well, all these situations and more are quickly forgotten. But when a keeper makes a mistake there is no second chance or anyone backing him up, it's generally a goal, and he's the biggest tw@t ever. Very lonely job. 

• Like 1

Keepers do have the hardest job on the pitch.

You have 10 men to attack and defend a game, only one keeper to protect the net. The odds favour one on ones.

• Like 1

The goalkeeper is probably one player that gets alot more bad rep than others because if they let a goal in its all their fault nothing to do with the rest of the team like defenders in a fans eyes, really you have to look at the bigger picture.

If you pick a player who’s struggling, it’s not his fault. He did well in the World Cup but I feel too much pressure had been put on his shoulders.

@thommo I understand that, as a keeper myself, you lack confidence with a weak back 4 and that leads to errors that wouldn't normally be made but Joe Hart I think was more complacent than anything. Man City and a England number 1, he seemed untouchable. 

@Chris exactly we've always had great keepers but once the media picks a selected one then they become number 1 till the media kicks them down and no one else gets a look in because they're untouchable until the next one gets hyped. Ben Foster, Fraser Forster, Jack Butland among many who have deserved more chances as England number one in recent times. 

@DonnyNotts unfortunately the case, as the last line of defence, one error could be enough to end a game. You could make 10 Worldie saves, a penalty save and if you make an error you'll be remembered for that and not the saves. 

• Like 1

@NottsTastic the problem is he's been given the number one Jersey to early in his career and exceeded so much expectation that at this stage in his career where he is still learning, he's expected to maintain the level he's been at like the world Cup. But there's a slight arrogance about Pickford that is to say he needs nurturing a bit more before he can fully sustain that position. It also don't help being in spotlight and the likes of Henderson and Pope knocking on the door. 

The UK hyped Wayne Rooney when he was very young, it took him a bit of time to get a steady level of form for England. Whilst people and the newspapers suggested he should be winning the World Cup all by himself, there's a love in this country to do this and tear them down when the timing sells papers.

This is how I see things for Jordan Pickford, he should focus on himself.

They get alot of stick when they are the ones that let a goal in but the defense is also surpose to do their job too.

I think England's biggest issue is the media, they hype people and put so much pressure onto the players. The salaries they get are also part of the issue, as it's become less a working mans game to one where you're set for life if you make it to the Premier League.

Lower the expectations and rotate players more, it's simple enough.

• Like 1