Jordan Barnett
Enzio Boldewijn

Loan players returning to clubs

Mark Ellis
Calvin Miller
Regan Griffiths
Matty Wolfe
Jimmy Knowles

https://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news/2021/june/retained-list-150621/?fbclid=IwAR29dQiNRsrIopou57usOPmiNfQhKWyXm8YWesobapEUukGwT79T4oFe0R8#.YMjcGdDcYzE.facebook

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,427
  • Days Won:  15

I agree with all the released players, we should see a stronger Notts without the reliance on Enzio Boldewijn I feel.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,793
  • Days Won:  162

adam chicksen should hopefully go, i dont see a need for him myself but i am happy with the list.

i hope calvin miller and mark ellis return next season.

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,856
  • Days Won:  5

@liampie agree with you.

Mark Ellis and Calvin Miller played a big role in improving the performance, both can do a lot of good here.

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  381
  • Days Won:  0

Enzio Boldewijn 👋🏻

Thank you for the goals and some of the better performances you put in. 😎

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,653
  • Days Won:  89

Pretty much as expected. Glad we haven't seen a mega overhaul which I think would be damaging. 

The enigma AKA Enzio being released could raise some eyebrows for a few. I'm expecting at least a couple of those released to be popping up down the road at Solihull... Ben Turner maybe, Damien McCrory....

I think keeping hold of Slocombe is key for us, quality keeper at this level. Out of those already contracted, you'd think it'd be just Sam that maybe we'd try and offload. 

• Content Count:  537
  • Days Won:  4
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Retro_Pie

@gtownjohnno Youth team player, not yet a first year graduate I believe.

I think Damian McCrory would have remained had he not been out for so long this season, good player on his day but we need to avoid players who are prone to injuries. I don't disagree with the retained list, it all makes sense.

• Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  54

I'm a little sad about Enzio, but I get it, probably our highest earner given we signed him for six figures as part of the “promotion is a dead cert strategy”. I'd have liked to have seen Woots behind a trio of Cal, Ruben and Enzio, but alas... He'll be remembered for his rockets and whist not quite replicating his form from last season he still got us out of a hole at times. The crowd singing his name against Weymouth when he came on and scored was a brilliant moment. Wonder if he’ll end up with a L2 club?

Maybe thought J’OB would go but he had a strong end to the season so fair play to him - we probably did miss him in the play-offs.

I’d be interested to know if we’re going to keep with 3-5-2 going forward. It probably was the best formation with the players we had but with Roberts back (surely that op has done the trick) and Lacey (who is very comfortable on the ball) I wonder if the plan is to play something more in 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 mould.

Also only hopeful of signing one of the loan players. Who’s your money on… Miller or Ellis?

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  3,589
  • Days Won:  75

In Enzio we have lost one of the best wingers in the division and the one above if not more. The problem has been the way he has been beaten down by Ardley and his negative tactics. Asked to defend a lot more, tuck in all the time and even play full back! I see him as an old fashioned white line winger, who also has the magical ability to cut in and score crackers.

All that being said, I agree with the decision to release him. He was obviously on a good whack, his confidence must be at an all time low after this season and, in the bluntest of terms, he hasn’t produced when needed. If ever a player needed a new change of scenery, it’s Enzio right now.

Miller would be great if we’re going to use him as a winger. Signing him to be a LB is pointless. I expect a flat back four next season. Can’t see a place for Ellis and Rawlinson. In fact, I’d go so far as to say, wouldn’t use either. Lacey and another younger, faster ball playing CB as his partner. If we’re going to keep the roll out from the back, then embrace it. Ellis and Rawlinson both do same job directly in the centre of a 3. In a flat back 4, we need pace.

Criminal if we don’t sort out the lack of aggression and pace in the middle.

Same for the dire need for a hard man centre forward to take the pressure of KW. Get rid of Sam. Waste of a wage imo.

Was surprised to see JoB retained as well tbf. I would have gone full remake of midfield and JoB won’t cope with that.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,761
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

20 hours ago, Feral Fox said:

In Enzio we have lost one of the best wingers in the division and the one above if not more.

That's quite kind of you to say, I respect your opinion bud - but he was never one of the best at this level or League Two.

We need a natural winger that can cross, run directly down the channel - not cut in and attempt a shot that most likely will be ballooned into the stands. Very few of those strikes Enzio put out would turn into a screamer. Defensively, constant performance and sheer directness we could do a lot better.

Overall with the retained list, I am happy.

Need players who can consistently perform well, can motivate themselves and do whatever it takes for the club to get the win.

I don't think quality is always needed, effort sometimes can edge technical ability.

• Content Count:  537
  • Days Won:  4
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Retro_Pie

22 hours ago, gtownjohnno said:

He is a full time Pro... Contact signed a couple of weeks ago... 

A first year graduate then? Last I read he had been offered a deal but no news about the contract being signed.

https://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news/2021/may/palmer-offered-pro-deal-140521/

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,427
  • Days Won:  287

All very understandable and logical. I expected Enzio to go as any manager will want a more reliable performer. He's played under four managers at Notts and didn't deliver consistently under any of them. 

I wouldn't mind us signing Miller and Ellis, but I feel both are replaceable. I can also see Sam asking for a transfer, that's pure speculation though. 

This will give us a maximum of 14 players to start with next season, so plenty of scope to improve the quality of the squad and adapt it to the system IB wants to play. 

17 hours ago, Chris said:

That's quite kind of you to say, I respect your opinion bud - but he was never one of the best at this level or League Two.

We need a natural winger that can cross, run directly down the channel - not cut in and attempt a shot that most likely will be ballooned into the stands. Very few of those strikes Enzio put out would turn into a screamer. Defensively, constant performance and sheer directness we could do a lot better.

Overall with the retained list, I am happy.

Need players who can consistently perform well, can motivate themselves and do whatever it takes for the club to get the win.

I don't think quality is always needed, effort sometimes can edge technical ability.

For Enzio’s sake, I hope he finds a club that is willing to adapt and play to the style he wants to play. I’ll stand by the claim he is good enough to be EFL 2 or above, but on his last year here…I would have released him too. No clear enthusiasm, obviously too much direction weighing on his shoulders. He needs a new team and an attacking style allowing him to do his thing without restrictions.

In real terms, couldn’t see how IB could use him anyway next season.

Kyle W will be up front, with the hopefully fully fit Roberts and Ruben playing off and just behind him I’d expect. 4 3 3 or some fluid version of it.

@Feral Fox  I think Enzio can play League Two, maybe League One level but to be one of the best - it's a stretch for me. If like you say, he finds a team that can play to his style then maybe he will improve in terms of consistency and have more good games but in the lower tiers you can't really push the weakness he leaves onto others to step up even more because he doesn't do enough to fit outside his own playing style.

Issue with him playing higher is solely down to him, but I do wish him well.

I have no personal ill feelings towards him, I do respect and appreciate his efforts - I just think he's a weakness that we can now hopefully improve on.

Rumour mill for Enzio has him looking at Burton in League 1 or Walsall and Tranmere in L2.

Youd expect out of that lot Burton or Walsall just because he’s settled in the Midlands now and has a new intended to consider now he’s engaged.

9 hours ago, Feral Fox said:

Rumour mill for Enzio has him looking at Burton in League 1 or Walsall and Tranmere in L2.

Youd expect out of that lot Burton or Walsall just because he’s settled in the Midlands now and has a new intended to consider now he’s engaged.

Enzio is capable of performing at a high level - just not often enough or consistent enough for me. However, at teams that could be lower down in the tables of their relevant leagues,  a winger performing well 1 in 3 games or 1 in 4, is more palatable than a team going for top spot. 

2 hours ago, Super_Danny_Allsopp said:

Enzio is capable of performing at a high level - just not often enough or consistent enough for me. However, at teams that could be lower down in the tables of their relevant leagues,  a winger performing well 1 in 3 games or 1 in 4, is more palatable than a team going for top spot. 

Definitely one of the more frustrating players we’ve had over the years.

• 2 weeks later...

Sam Slocombe - Signed
Tiernan Brooks
Connell Rawlinson - Signed
Adam Chicksen
Dion Kelly-Evans
Jim O’Brien

Seems strange to me that Tiernan Brooks hasn't signed yet - you'd like to think he'd snap our fingers off, but maybe he has other suitors? 

DKE is probably seeing if he can get first team football elsewhere. I know he's played a lot this season, but in a fully-fit squad, he's not getting that right wing back position ahead of Brindley. His lack of height is a factor and other teams target it effectively. 

JOB not signing is also a bit off - maybe he can get more ££ elsewhere and we offered him significantly reduced terms (I imagine he was one of the better earners).

Chicksen - Bit of a journeyman and has moved consistently. Said that he had been enjoying his football much more recently, but like many things it's just talk, ££ are the bottom line. 

I would hope there is a deadline for these lot to sign. Sign the contract or we'll look elsewhere. 

@Super_Danny_Allsopp keep in mind that some players are now on a break from the club with it being the end of the season, I believe Jim O'Brien is up in Scotland. Tiernan Brooks and Tyreace Palmer might have signed but not been announced. Sometimes the announcements wait for the media to follow up, as they could've signed before but not had chance to speak on camera due to one reason or another.

1 hour ago, Chris said:

@Super_Danny_Allsopp keep in mind that some players are now on a break from the club with it being the end of the season, I believe Jim O'Brien is up in Scotland. Tiernan Brooks and Tyreace Palmer might have signed but not been announced. Sometimes the announcements wait for the media to follow up, as they could've signed before but not had chance to speak on camera due to one reason or another.

True. Hadn't thought of that. 

Chicksen signed. 

JOB and DKE now free-agents. I'd prefer if JOB stayed to bring some continuity in the middle of the park, DKE I'm not too fussed about in all honest.

Also Tiernan Brooks hasn't signed either? 

I'd be more bothered about losing DKE than I would JOB, but I do hope both signs.

I think if Doyle does end up being used as backup/rotation, then the experienced head would fall onto O'Brien's shoulder.

Archived