Match Discussion: Game 41 - The Robins (A)

PON_News

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  18,280
  • Days Won:  80

Game 41 - The Robins (A)

Team: Altrincham

Date: 28/03/2023

Where: Moss Lane

What line-up should Luke Williams opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,733
  • Days Won:  27

I must admit, I am feeling quite nervous again, especially as it's a Tuesday night game and with Wrexham have also won at home on Saturday. We simply can't afford to draw or lose, as this would definitely end our hopes of winning the title, and although I think it's unlikely at this point, I don't want to accept that in my heart. I also dread seeing the fallout from those who can't acknowledge how successful we have been this season. Of course, a win would be fantastic, as it would bypass any negativity, but I fear that it may not happen.

• Like 2

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,923
  • Days Won:  162

are those on international duty back? we could do with brooks.

i have nothing against mair, but i feel more confident in brooks and if slocombe is out again. i would rather go with someone who is comfortable. mair looked nervous and away from home i can picture him being a lot busier than he was on saturday against scunthrope. if he starts so be it, i accept luke williams call but personally i would opt for brooks if hes free. i am not sure what altrincham are like at home but as others said in the last games discussion an early goal would be nice.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,007
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

They're flaky as a team, but I think perform better at home, which you would expect.

They've only won two of their last five games, which the rest were defeats. Southend and York are the two teams they beat, plus they can score goals which may put pressure on us depending on who starts in goal. I must admit, I like Brooks and feel nervous viewing Mair - yet we can protect whoever starts by ensuring we are defensively setup, without limiting ourselves going forward. It just means some players must stay back, then the rest need to regroup as quickly as possible.

We're relying on the key players as a team right now, even though we're performing okay as a squad.

Away from home we haven't quite been the same since we lost our second game a few weeks back, so it's time to get the away form back on and to keep the pressure on Wrexham. 2nd place, is a great achievement, so many successful sspects each of the players and club can take away.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  18,280
  • Days Won:  80

Notts County boss Luke Williams faces a good problem with goalkeeper selection ahead of the National League clash against Altrincham.

Read our article on the latest team news, injury updates, and more ahead of tomorrow's game.

• Like 3

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,903
  • Days Won:  5

As I was saying on the "It's Over" topic, if we win this match, it means that Wrexham will have two games in hand, which will add pressure. Regardless of what happens on the pitch, Notts must ensure that they score enough goals to secure the victory tomorrow.

• Content Count:  74
  • Days Won:  6

Let's hope Alty have one eye on the trophy and decide to rest a few players for Saturday. I guess (judging by our possession stats) we make the opposition run a lot more than they normally do so hopefully their management team won't want tired legs on a heavy pitch tonight. I'm confident of the win whatever team they put out, but I would like is to put a bit of GD pressure on Wrexham.

• Like 3

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,466
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

Happy with that. Back on top. Puts the pressure back on Wrexham. 

• Like 2

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,461
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

It was a great victory away from home, and now we turn our attention to Wrexham. This win has given us renewed hope that they may falter, and it has made our upcoming game against them even more crucial. While the first goal was questionable and would have made me furious if it was against Notts, I still think the result was fantastic. The opposing manager had nothing but praise for Notts, but he was right on the money about the referee's decision to allow the quick free kick.

• Like 3

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,903
  • Days Won:  5

Yeah, totally agree about the free kick being questionable, but at the end of the day, a win is a win! Mair was an absolute legend and deserves a ton of credit for keeping Notts in the game. Honestly, I have so much more faith in him now. It's not easy to win away from home and keep a clean sheet, so we should be proud of that accomplishment!

• Content Count:  4,733
  • Days Won:  27

While there may have been some debate around whether or not Langstaff's 40th goal was legitimate, at the end of the day it still goes down in the record books. I'm really happy for him that he managed to hit such a milestone, and there's still plenty of time left in the season for him to add to it. Of course, I know that some of the older fans might not be too thrilled about the idea of us sticking around in the lower leagues long enough for Langstaff to beat Bradd's record, but personally I think it could be a great achievement for the club.

It sounded like Notts were playing pretty well up until that clumsy penalty. Fortunately, Mair did an excellent job of saving it, which I'm really pleased about. He's shown that he's more than capable of covering for us, and now that we've seen him in action a bit more, I don't think there are any lingering doubts about his ability.

And of course, Ruben always looks cool as a cucumber when he steps up to take a penalty. All in all, it was a very impressive away win for us.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

Alty were always going to pose more of a challenge than on Saturday, and they did give us some nervous moments at the back. We rode our luck a couple of times but were comfortably in control in the second half and the win never looked in doubt. Great penalty save by Mair, funnily enough I always thought he was going to save it - it wasn't badly taken but it was the perfect height for the keeper to reach. Great stuff.

Now we have a Saturday off ahead of Wealdstone. Then we cross our fingers that Oldham can maybe nick something from the Welsh team before our showdown at Easter.

• Like 1

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,469
  • Days Won:  15

Notts managed to come away with a win, one way or another. While there may be some controversy surrounding the first goal, there's no denying that their player clearly lifted their arm up for the second goal. It's not acceptable to jump like that at any level of the game, and while some may argue that the decision was harsh, it was well within the rules.

Getting three points and a clean sheet is a huge positive for the team, and I think it's a real testament to their hard work and dedication. All in all, it's a great result for Notts County.

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,520
  • Days Won:  9

What a brilliant professional performance by Notts. It's hard to believe that we have amassed 97 points, which would have secured us the league title by this stage in almost every other season. This season has been completely bonkers. It's even more insane when you consider that we need Wrexham to suffer two more losses than us to obtain the reward that we truly deserve.