Play-off Pressure: how can fans help keep Notts' nerves at bay?

TheSkipper

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,461
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

Notts County's recent match against Wrexham was a nail-biting affair, with both teams fighting tooth and nail for the coveted National League title. However, many fans have been left wondering whether Notts' performance was impacted by nerves, as they failed to score the victory after leading 1-0 and ultimately lost the match. With promotion to the English Football League at stake, it's natural for players to feel the weight of expectations and pressure to perform on such a big occasion. But what can fans do to help keep their team calm and composed, and what strategies should the head coach, Luke Williams, employ to ensure his players remain focused on their ultimate goal?

In this discussion, we'll explore the impact of nerves on Notts' recent performance against Wrexham, and what fans and the coaching staff can do to help alleviate this pressure. We'll also consider the wider implications of such nerves on the team's promotion hopes and strategies that can be employed to keep the players focused on the task at hand. Join us in sharing your thoughts and insights on this crucial topic as we analyse the role of mental preparation in Notts County's push for promotion.

Also, check out the gaffer's discussion about leading into the playoffs and how you believe they should be approached, such as whether certain key players need resting.

• Like 3

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  1,704
  • Days Won:  36

I have no fears that the Notts fans won't create a great atmosphere at Wembley, but I do think that the final game at Meadow Lane may return to being the morgue like ground it has been at stages this season. As long as we can fill the Kop, I think the atmosphere will be great as they will hold the key to creating the noise for others to follow. The last thing we will need is to go a goal behind.

• Like 5

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,923
  • Days Won:  162

we need to keep any negativity, that isnt something well explained to a minimum. like the fan who called scott a 'coward' and that a '5 year old would have score the penalty'. aside from that most fans know how important this season is and some will go beyond expectations to ensure that we stay grounded as a fan base.

its time for fans to stop worrying about results, and for luke williams to ease the pressure of the final 3 games.

regaining some type of form and confidence leading into the playoffs would help the club in the long run.

• Like 3

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  322
  • Days Won:  7
  • 𝕏:  twitter @TheCalFoster

It'll just be typical of Notts to get 100+ points and throw it away in the play offs to a team 30 points behind us, I've mentally prepared myself for it too happen.. That Wrexham game has broken me, I've been positive all season but now I've got a doubt in my head, a worry.. Will the occasion be too much for Notts? Every team that Notts play in the play offs has a free hit, no pressure as we'll be expected to steamroll them.. I just want to get on with the play offs and hopefully get out this league.. If we don't go up this season, it ain't happening..ever..

Edited by TheCalFoster
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

1 hour ago, TheCalFoster said:

If we don't go up this season, it ain't happening..ever..

Wrexham have finished second multiple times (once on 98 points) and are on their way up. If we keep banging on the door, we will make it in the end. One comforting thought is that we could be a lot worse next season and still win the league :D

I also follow a team in Germany that played in a league with NO automatic promotion, only a promotion play-off. They lost in that play-off three times in a row, twice after winning the league, once on penalties. The first season after automatic promotion was introduced, they finally got their reward. We will too. We are getting it right and I firmly believe we will make it. Possibly even in May - we have to win two games.

That takes me onto my next point. I am so drained after Monday and I'm not sure I can face a play-off final (if we make it). For me personally this will be the seventh consecutive season that has ended in a play-off campaign and I'm genuinely not sure I can hack it.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,903
  • Days Won:  5

You know that Notts has a lot of fans who show their support to the players? The team really cares about our club, so I hope everything settles down soon. One thing that could help would be if we beat Woking with a convincing win. I know I said that the results don't matter in the grand scheme of things because Notts has already secured second place. However, as a club, including the fans, it's up to us to encourage the players from this point forward. They will feel disappointed and upset about the Wrexham game, and if any of them happen to read PON, they should know that support means exactly that.

• Like 2

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,062
  • Days Won:  54

Nerves are natural at this stage of the season but pretty much all the squad have been involved in play-off campaigns, they know what it's all about now.

From my perspective I'm still weirdly positive. Our home form is very good this season but I'd rather see a team like Chesterfield or Barnet visit us in the first game and have a go. I worry more about teams like Bromley or Boreham Wood, they'll sit back let us have all the ball but then spring counter attacks when we've thrown more and more forward. That sort of game would make me nervous.

• Like 1

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,007
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Key things are to remain focused, put aside any disappointment and stick to what works.

It's been interesting to see how Adam Chicksen has kept his place in the team. He usually plays a defensive role with minimal involvement in attacks, but in the game against Wrexham, he seemed to have been given more attacking responsibilities.He really needs to have a rest. It's clear, he needs a bit of time and perhaps Kyle Cameron or Frank Vincent can provide that? All we fans can do is get behind the players when we watch them, let them know we're behind them and try to put aside the feelings caused by Wrexham.

There will be pressure, but this is where we need to see Luke Williams management come into play.

He needs to take as much pressure of the players as possible, he needs to make sure we are selecting players who are fit and able to give 100%. Leading into the playoffs, we just need to do our homework and continue to push as we have done all season.

• Like 1

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

I don't think the fans can do much else but give their support. If a fan can't get behind the club at this stage of the season without finding flaws or things to moan about, then they're not interested in Notts County. It's all down to the players believing in themselves and for Luke Williams to build up each player who may be a part of the final push. With Wrexham winning against Yeovil tonight, we won't catch them. It's best if Notts focuses on what is logically achievable as that will yield the best results.

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,469
  • Days Won:  15

I have faith in Luke Williams, to lead us to victory. One way he could take the pressure off our team going into the playoffs is by teaching the players to apply high-pressing techniques when defending. This not only increases the pressure on the opposition but also improves our work rate, concentration and attitude to defending . I believe this could be a game-changer for us and I can’t wait to see Notts in action.

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,733
  • Days Won:  27

I can only imagine what goes into a manager's thoughts leading up to the playoffs. It must be a stressful and challenging task, but there are a few things that can be done to take the pressure off the players and improve their chances of success.

Mental preparation is key. The manager needs to ensure that the players are mentally prepared for the playoffs. This can involve team building exercises, visualisation techniques, and regular positive reinforcement from the coaching staff.

Physical preparation is also critical. The team should be well-rested and well-fed before each match. The players should also engage in regular stretching and mobility exercises to reduce the risk of injury.

Tactical analysis is essential. The manager needs to analyse the opposition's strengths and weaknesses and adjust the team's tactics accordingly. This analysis should be based on the opposition's formation, style of play, and individual player strengths.

Video analysis can be very helpful. Watching videos of previous games is an excellent way to identify areas for improvement and develop a winning game plan.

Set pieces can often be the difference between winning and losing in the playoffs. It's important for the manager to ensure that the team practices both offensive and defensive set pieces and that every player knows their role.

Finally, teamwork is essential. The manager should encourage the team to work together and support each other throughout the playoffs. This can be achieved through regular team bonding activities, team meals, and social events.

Taking the pressure off the players involves mental and physical preparation, tactical analysis, video analysis, set-piece practice, and a focus on teamwork. By implementing these strategies, a football manager can lead their team to playoff success.