The Notable Players of Notts County: Who's the Greatest to Ever Don the Black and White?

AmericanPie

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

From Tommy Lawton, Jackie Sewell to Lee Hughes, Notts County has seen its fair share of talented players over the years. Who stands out as the best? What makes him so special to you?

• Like 3

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,786
  • Days Won:  27

Lee Hughes is one Notts player that stands out for his ability to always know where the ball would be and somehow always manage to get in position to make the most of it. On his day, teams couldn't cope with him playing against them. I remember his celebration lifting everyone's spirit. It would be nice if some of the current players made this effort with fans, instead of celebrating with each other.

• Like 2

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  507
  • Days Won:  1

Over the years, Notts County has been home to some truly great players, such as Phil Turner, Mark Stallard, and Ben Davies. Jim O’Brien is another player who deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as these legends. However, when it comes to pure talent and class on the field, I believe that Lee Hughes stands out as one of the best strikers Notts has ever had. He remains one of my all-time favorite players.

• Like 3

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  1,712
  • Days Won:  36

Don Masson, end of discussion.... 🙂

• Like 1
  • Love 4

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  13,082
  • Days Won:  162

lee hughes is who i would say, the whole squad from 09-10 was amazing. ricky ravenhill, neal bishop, mike edwards, luke rodgers, craig westcarr but hughesy was the best i have seen.

• Like 2

• Followers:  25
  • Content Count:  30,365
  • Days Won:  1,063
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

1990: Phil Turner - he was the ever present and someone who led every team he captained with pride.
2000: Danny Allsop - quality striker that was always way better than the level he played for us at.
2010: Lee Hughes - just unbelievable how good he was at reading the game and finding that time to pounce on the ball. 
2020: Ruben Rodrigues - he can be frustrating, but that is merely down to the quality he has and the ability that he should be delivering more consistently - much like this season.

• Like 2

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  43
  • Days Won:  2

Jackie Sewell was a classy striker who played for both Sheffield Wednesday and Notts County before your time. According to Wikipedia, he scored a total of 228 career goals, including 97 for Notts County and 87 for Sheffield Wednesday. That’s an impressive record for any striker!

@AmericanPie

MJj0ZsP.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackie_Sewell

• Like 1
  • Love 3

• Content Count:  13,082
  • Days Won:  162

jackie sewell did sound like a very good striker who was an all round player, him, les bradd and tony hateley sound like a very lethal strike force. i saw jackie swell at a few games being wheelchaired into the ground bless him when he was alive. i am glad he saw out his days watching the club that meant so much to him. 

• Like 3

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,517
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

I have always admired Neal Bishop. Although some fans doubted his abilities and wanted him to leave for Blackpool, he proved himself in the Championship and played well in League One and Two. Even those who doubted him may have wanted him back after his release from Mansfield. As previously stated, a committed leader who puts in the work can be more valuable than a show-off player who doesn't try on a challenging night in Morecambe.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,406
  • Days Won:  69

Of the Notts players I've actually seen I have to say Don Masson.I always enjoyed watching him.Quite a few players mentioned I wish I had seen.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392

On 05/05/2023 at 00:37, nightOWL said:

Jackie Sewell was a classy striker who played for both Sheffield Wednesday and Notts County before your time. According to Wikipedia, he scored a total of 228 career goals, including 97 for Notts County and 87 for Sheffield Wednesday. That’s an impressive record for any striker!

@AmericanPie

MJj0ZsP.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackie_Sewell

I think you're right. That's why sites like the Pride of Nottingham do a great job. Jackie Sewell will always be a legend of the game. It was such a sad loss to the footballing world when he passed away.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,404
  • Days Won:  194
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

Don Masson for me. Midfield general and playmaker. He's simply the best and managed by the best Manager we've ever had, Jimmy Sirrel. 

• Content Count:  10,955
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

So many great players have played for Notts but no one will be surprised that my favourite player of all time is Tony Hateley aka ‘Big Tone’.

• Like 1

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,992
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

Agree with @Fozzy Masson!, though Pedro Richards would be a close 2nd

Other personal favourites over the years

Scanlon

Harkouk

Benjy

Raddy

Killer