An open letter to Accrington Stanley 2018

Piethagoram

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,733
  • Days Won:  27

I remember that letter doing the rounds on social media. I wonder if that fan still attends Accrington Stanley matches? The reasons behind switching make sense to me; having a local club that works with the community, rather than a mega giant that takes your support for granted, is special!

• Like 10

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  1,466
  • Days Won:  5

Good letter. People should support their local teams where it matters. It helps them do their good work. Bigger clubs often neglect that side of football and don’t have to work nearly as hard as others do.

• Like 8

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,300
  • Days Won:  69

12 minutes ago, BromPie said:

Good letter. People should support their local teams where it matters. It helps them do their good work. Bigger clubs often neglect that side of football and don’t have to work nearly as hard as others do.

Take Derby and family influence out of the equation and guess which local team(I was brought up in Alfreton) I would be supporting now? 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,921
  • Days Won:  162

i wished more people like this was out there!

i know i have mentioned it before but my dad and uncle now have season tickets at notts. they have for the past 3 seasons and my dad recently told me he prefers the atmosphere at notts on match days at meadow lane. he does go to forest still, but he does not have a season ticket with them. slowly but surely hes coming over. :D

• Like 6
  • Love 1

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,519
  • Days Won:  9

It’s a brilliant letter and should be placed in the Football museum in Manchester. That’s how important I feel it is. Yes, sometimes people write things to get noticed, but this came across as genuine and the fact it was shared by Accrington Stanley’s chairman says it all.

• Like 5

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

This letter is truly brilliant and highlights a crucial aspect of football that is often overlooked. While winning big games is undoubtedly an essential part of the sport, it is equally important to be part of a club that embraces the community. Football has the power to bring people together and create a sense of unity among fans, players, and staff. It is heartening to see that there are clubs that place equal importance on both winning games and promoting community involvement. After all, football is not just a game; it is a cultural and social phenomenon that transcends national boundaries and brings people from all walks of life together. Therefore, it is vital to recognize the role that football clubs play in fostering a sense of community and to celebrate their efforts in this area.

• Like 4

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,461
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

I remember the open letter. It inspired many other fans to try to achieve the same thing. I hope they’re still fans of the teams they said they would support. It was a great share at the time and it’s still nice to reflect on its positive message.

• Like 4

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,251
  • Days Won:  4

This is great to see and I definitely understand why he changed clubs, it's the same reason why I would choose notts over any premier league team.

• Like 4

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,469
  • Days Won:  15

Supporting a smaller club outside of the top two tiers can be more exciting than simply supporting a team because they win things. No one team stays at the top forever and you’ll end up supporting many teams over the years. It’s like Notts and Forest fans who claim to support Manchester United for legitimate reasons when in reality they only support them because they’ve won things.

• Like 2

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  561
  • Days Won:  4
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Retro_Pie

The open letter written by a father to Andy Holt is wonderful. Even after all these years, it still holds a special place in my heart. The letter perfectly sums up why supporting lower league football is more worthwhile than supporting teams in the top two tiers.

• Like 3

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  461
  • Days Won:  2

The letter shared by the Accrington Stanley supporter is brilliant. More and more fans are realizing that supporting a club is about more than just winning the Premier League.

• Like 1

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,007
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Yes, this didn't just go viral across social media.

It was picked up by the National and Local News, although I'm not sure why East Midlands would take time to focus on it. I think it does summarise all the reasons why fans should consider their loyalty. There's been times I wondered if it was worth being a Notts fan, not because of results on the pitch or people behind the scenes but due to how much time it takes.

The commitment most fans make to their clubs, it's something they have to respect.

Thankfully, this Ex Manchester City fan has found that local work by a smaller club is something which warrants his time.