PON_News

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  18,279
  • Days Won:  80

PSF - The Reds (A)

Team: Alfreton Town

Date: 25/07/2023

Where: North Street

What line-up should Luke Williams opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Like 4

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,469
  • Days Won:  15

Alfreton were terrible last season, but I think this time around they will be more structured and able to give Notts a better game. It wouldn’t surprise me if they try to park the bus and counter when Notts don’t have the ball. This time around, it should be a better standard of friendly, as they have made some good signings and now have a less aged squad.

• Like 9

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,921
  • Days Won:  162

i am looking forward to the game, i have never been to alfreton towns ground and i think it should be another good friendly. i think looking at their squad, we should be able to create far more clear cut chances and will hopefully put them away.

this time round, i would like to see langstaff and scott start, they have a good understanding of each other. we really should see more of it.

• Like 5

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,007
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I felt disappointed with how terrible Alfreton Town did, but there were a few of our players that didn't stand out as being much better. I am highly confident that one of them will keep impressing me, especially considering the strong impact they made during this pre-season. I can clearly see the numerous advantages they would bring if they maintain a consistent performance.

Alfreton have a good-sized pitch, which gives us plenty of width and space to use.

Provided our attacking players do their jobs, which I am sure they will. It will create Alfreton problems as to who to mark heavily, I can't see them parking the bus but even if they do. The width of the pitch should see us easily able to exploit them.

• Like 7

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,298
  • Days Won:  69

1 hour ago, liampie said:

i am looking forward to the game, i have never been to alfreton towns ground and i think it should be another good friendly. i think looking at their squad, we should be able to create far more clear cut chances and will hopefully put them away.

this time round, i would like to see langstaff and scott start, they have a good understanding of each other. we really should see more of it.

I used to live about 5 minutes  from the ground @liampie I went to their first game in 1959 when 2 other Alfreton teams merged.I went most games until I was old enough to go to Derby without an adult.

• Like 5
  • Love 2

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,898
  • Days Won:  5

I think Alfreton should give us a better match, but even we have improved since we last played, so I’m hoping that we can work on the defensive side and our space creation, as they have a tallish squad. It should be a good friendly!

• Like 6

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,519
  • Days Won:  9

Good run out for Notts, some might complain we won too easily, but you can only beat what’s in front of you. Alfreton really struggled, but again it shows that Luke Williams doesn’t need to panic about us not being able to break down teams that defend heavily. It’s all down to putting away the chances you create or enough of them.

• Like 8

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  881
  • Days Won:  1

Good result for Notts, as Macaulay Langstaff scored 3 goals before half-time. I wonder if those who were concerned about losing to Stoke and Forest now believe we will win the league?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

I am reading that the final score in the Alfreton game was 5-0. Macaulay Langstaff found the net three times, which is very positive news. Please do share your thoughts; I would love to see more opinions from fans who attended and in general.

• Like 5

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,921
  • Days Won:  162

notts did well but i thought alfteton was weak on the ball, they allowed us to get it quite easily. their defending seemed uninterested at times, very basic and almost just stick a foot out and hope it puts notts off. not very effective at all. all of macaulay langstaffs goals were good crosses but better teams wont allow that space so easily. i felt sorry for the alfreton town keeper because he was playing without any defensive protection most of the time. 

david mcgoldricks goal was pure class, nothing could have been done about that.

overall a good result but disappointed with the way alfreton played.

• Like 3

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,355
  • Days Won:  1

While I don’t believe Alfreton performed exceptionally well, I wouldn’t describe them as “poor”. I believe the quality displayed by Notts made it challenging for them. Alfreton could have been more adept with the ball, but it was evident that the training Notts had undergone paid off. We pressed and were eager to regain possession, and the team delivered a fantastic performance. Macaulay Langstaff seemed likely to score given our direct passes to him, and David McGoldrick’s outstanding effort was a joy to behold.

• Like 2

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,733
  • Days Won:  27

The game was very good. Notts played in such a way that they struggled, and credit to Alfreton, they acknowledged how good of a team we were. I don’t think they had much chance to get going because we wanted the ball so much. It’s difficult to defend, and what made it worse for Alfreton is that we fielded such a strong squad with the intention of giving them longer in the game.

• Like 1

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  560
  • Days Won:  4
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Retro_Pie

The performance of Notts was one of determination, but I wouldn’t criticise Alfreton too much. We are two levels above them and played direct football against the best of the National League, which other teams in the same league struggled with. Alfreton have made a fair few signings, so I would take more note of how Notts played.