Match Discussion: Game 24 - Rovers (H)

Game 24 - Rovers (H)

Team: Doncaster Rovers

Date: 26/12/2023

Where: Meadow Lane

What line-up should Luke Williams opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Like 2

If everyone has come through the Stockport match unscathed, I would keep the same team.

We witnessed a much better performance and if things had gone our way we could have easily have won the match on Friday night.

We played really well when we last played Doncaster at their place when we won 3:1.

We should never take any team in League 2 lightly, every match is going to be tough, Doncaster will be firing on all cylinders to make amends for their early season loss to us.

But this is a great opportunity to continue our form at Stockport and get back to winning ways.

The key areas for us will be our defence, where we need to cut out the silly errors.

I'm confident we are going to win this. My score would be 3:1 with Maca getting a brace.

Edited by Robbie__64
  • Like 6

I agree. If the team is fit, it would be sensible for Luke Williams to maintain the status quo without alterations. This could potentially ignite some stability and make Notts feel more at ease on the field. I must mention, I always feel much more assured when we play at Meadow Lane as our performance there has been superior compared to away games.

• Like 6

I share your hope that Doncaster hasn’t improved significantly since we last played them at their ground. Doncaster was dismal, and Notts played some excellent football. I don’t anticipate it being as straightforward, but being at home and familiar with their style should be advantageous. Luke Williams has spoken about learning from past performances, so ideally, this will be the perfect opportunity to demonstrate this.

• Like 4

Doncaster Rovers has shown some improvement since then. I can’t envision them being as disorganised, but on paper, you would think the game should favour us. The problem is, games aren’t played on paper, and not everything is as straightforward as it appears. I just hope we can secure the result we need to keep our position in the top half.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, JustLikeJuve said:

Doncaster Rovers has shown some improvement since then. I can’t envision them being as disorganised, but on paper, you would think the game should favour us. The problem is, games aren’t played on paper, and not everything is as straightforward as it appears. I just hope we can secure the result we need to keep our position in the top half.

I agree. Doncaster will have improved since then, but these are the matches that we have to win, and this match is vital to see us end our run of defeats.

I'm confident that we will do just that on boxing day, hopefully in front of a big crowd.

• Like 2

Doncaster when we played them at their ground earlier in the season, sort of reminds me of how we have been as of late. Struggling with self-assurance and severely lacking in organisation.

So, they should be much tougher, but the good thing is how we will be at home.

Notts tends to control the game much easier. I do feel Dan Gosling is running out of time to impress and with the midfield being the area where we would hope to see more creativity - I can't help but feel we haven't quite utilities him. He's perhaps the only change I would consider, provided he's fully fit. He's been here long enough to really make his first start now.

I won't be at the game, so I will be relying on those who do make it to provide their insights into the match.

• Like 3

The signs are that It looks like it's going to be a really good attendance for the vitally important Boxing day clash at home to Rovers.

The drawing power of this team under Luke continues.

Really hope this game will prove a turning point for us to get back on track after our recent poor form.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Morten Johansen said:

I predict a solid win if our performance against Stockport continues. I was so impressed. However we need to be more precise in the final third.

Agree: Our attacking prowess has always been our strength and has been masking our failings in defence since the beginning of the season.

That's why I'm confident that once we have sorted out our defensive shortcomings, we can push on after the new year.

We really need a good start to the game on Boxing day.

• Like 1

Hi it's Boxing day Match day.

Notts v Doncaster.

Can Notts County get a vital 3 points at home to Doncaster Rovers?

A good Boxing Day crowd is expected generating a good atmosphere.

What will be the key areas to achieve the win today?

Can Macaulay get on the score sheet today?

Can we keep a clean sheet?

I'm going for a 3:1 win today to get us back on track in our bid to climb up that table again.

Thoughts?

Edited by Robbie__64

It's going to be a big crowd, hopefully an entertaining game and there'll be a Meat Loaf tribute after the game to boot! I'm jealous of you all :D

Doncaster were desperately poor in the first game, they looked every inch a relegation candidate. I don't expect us to have it nearly as easy today, but we need to put an end to our poor run. If we pick up where we left off at Stockport, I think we will.

As for Gosling, he spent another 87 minutes on the bench on Saturday. I suspect that club and player both know they're going separate ways already and I'd be surprised to see him play more than a cameo today.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, DangerousSausage said:

It's going to be a big crowd, hopefully an entertaining game and there'll be a Meat Loaf tribute after the game to boot! I'm jealous of you all :D

Doncaster were desperately poor in the first game, they looked every inch a relegation candidate. I don't expect us to have it nearly as easy today, but we need to put an end to our poor run. If we pick up where we left off at Stockport, I think we will.

As for Gosling, he spent another 87 minutes on the bench on Saturday. I suspect that club and player both know they're going separate ways already and I'd be surprised to see him play more than a cameo today.

Agreed. I also think Gosling will be moving on. It just hasn`t worked out. Bostock will probably pair up with Austin today again.

• Like 1

• liampie changed the title to Match Discussion: Game 24 - Rovers (H)
Supporter+

That penalty decision was ludicrous. Thankfully justice was done and Notts cruised to victory. A badly needed 3 points. The performance was excellent. The crowd were loud. All in all, a great day all round. 

• Like 4

A dominating performance today. Important clean sheet. Confidence boosting win, although Doncaster very poor. Morecambe will prove much tougher on Friday night. And what a stat, 100 goals scored in 2023.

Back up the 5th in the table. Onwards and upwards.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DangerousSausage said:

I was wrong, it was just as easy. Yikes, Doncaster are bad. But that was a really accomplished performance from us, we could easily have got 5 or 6. There were a few wobbly moments at the back, but the guests weren't good enough to take advantage.

Great to finally win again! 

Agree. We look much more sprightly in attack today. Didzy was superb today. We still need strengthening in defense, midfield & also a covering goalkeeper in January.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Piethagoram said:

Despite match stats of 80% possession, we still look vulnerable to concede. Another penalty against us, Rawlo with a very sloppy pass, Stone, heart in mouth as he tries to beat a player with the ball at his feet.

Positives, Macca dropping deep allows much more fluidity in the build ups

Agree. Much better performance but still the continuing problems in defence and goalie position, fortunately we got away with it today.

Still awaiting January window which will be pivotal to where we finish at the end of the regular  season.

• Like 1

Good, controlled win today, but crikey, Rovers are a poor side. Failing to press our back line meant that we had all the time in the world to create attacks, have they not watched and learnt anything about us??

Using Didzy as a false 9 looks really good along with Macca and Crowley’s movement, and I also like it when Johnny B plays deep like he did today as both he and Baldwin could start moving us forward.

I’ve still got concerns, desperate for another centre half to take pressure off Baldwin, still short in central midfield as Austin is no fit for it and Nemane’s all round game is terrible.

Oh and I nearly had a heart attack when Stone almost flapped one into his own net and attempted to dribble away from their striker!!

• Like 2