Stuart Maynard: Should he stay or should he go?

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,404
  • Days Won:  194
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

I believe that Stuart Maynard should stay.

But what do my fellow PON members think?

• Like 2

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,501
  • Days Won:  287

Unfortunately I just can't see it working. Nine points in 14 games (compared to 42 points in 26 games under LW) speaks a very clear language. I don't necessarily think he should be sacked right now (what's the point?), but unless there's a stunning turnaround I don't think he should be allowed to lead us into next season.

I don't really think he's cost us a promotion push, after the Mansfield game at home it was very clear that we were pretenders and would only be serious promotion candidates if we made some prudent additions in January (which we didn't). All the same, the speed at which we have gone downhill is alarming, and Maynard's poor tactics and selections have played a big role in that.

Another thing to consider is that we've got a very important summer ahead of us. A significant part of the squad is not up to League football and we need to bring in the right people to replace them. The head coach might not sign the players himself, but he's a big selling argument for players who are considering offers from Notts and other clubs. Players want to join a club that is upwardly mobile and play for a good head coach. They rated Luke Williams highly and wanted to play for him. Will Stuart Maynard inspire the same faith among prospective players? If we get it wrong this summer, we risk circling the drain to the NL again and undoing the last four years of progress.

• Like 4

Supporter+

@DangerousSausage

You make some excellent points and you have stated your case well. 

The owners have a difficult decision to make and the fact that we have just 5 games left make it even harder.

If they wait till the end of the season, the players break up and go on their summer break/holidays. If they bring a new Head Coach in it would be very difficult for him too, not knowing the players strengths and weaknesses or the players to let go, and having to rely on the recruiters to bring in suitable replacements.

Then to the new season where the new Head Coach has to have a good start to the season working with a new team with just a few pre season friendly games to prepare them. What if the team start poorly, do we change the HC again?

My best guess is that they could recruit a Director of Football with plenty of experience to assist Maynard at the end of the season.

If the season begins poorly in the first few games, the Director of Football, could take over without too much disruption.

• Like 1

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,314
  • Days Won:  17

GO. Yes he had a tough start to his reign at Notts fixture wise but as shown Nothing since in his coaching abilities to prove he can change things around. The Magpies have Lost to teams that they shouldn't have Lost to and I don't think he's played the same eleven players, in successive matches. He certainly hasn't been helped by New Contracts being handed out to players, who are Not League 2 standard and wasn't helped by practically No new signings during the Transfer Window. He doesn't have the Man Management skills to get the Best out of his players when they are going through a Bad patch such as a Lack of Confidence. I don't think it's a case of Players Not Wanting To Play For Him, it's just they seem unable to put his ideas into practice which is a case of Poor Communication.  He'll stay till the season's end then his contract will be/should be Terminated. Maynard like some of his players isn't up to Football League Standard, he's totally Out of His Depth and he must know that himself he's given it a go and he's Failed,  so a return back to the NL (Not with the Magpies)  would perhaps suite him better.

• Sad 1

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  502
  • Days Won:  2

The trouble is, Maynard came in already with 'negative equity' with the fans.  As a part time coach and BT Employee he was deemed not good enough for us (does anyone know what he did - the assumption is that he was an engineer on the tools, but FAIK he could have been the CEO).  LW had a whole pre-season to experiment and make changes and it still took several games until things began to start to gel.  This season we started well, but with the same issues that were resolved last year still evident.  Once the L2 teams saw our weaknesses they have ruthlessly exploited them.  We also have a small squad and several players seem to be either knackered or injured but are still having to play because of injuries elsewhere.  So, Maynard has had a lot to deal with, all in the limelight of  a sliding league position and player confidence.  Thus Maynard's already negative equity has dropped even further.

I think there is a good coach in there and I can see he will make someone a good head coach, but my feeling is that even if we one the league next season as soon as we had a tough run in L1 the old criticisms of being a BT Engineer will come out again. I would love him to turn this around, but I feel that he is now in a position where he will never be a success at Notts (even if he is - if you get my meaning).  My gut feeling is that the Brothers see some positives and will stick with him, but I think it's only a matter of time before the fans turn on him totally. 

• Like 3

Supporter+

@Wheelbarrow repair man

I get what you say.

We have to remember that Stuart is heading a coaching team  which includes his assistant, Matt Saunders and first team coach Craig Saunders. Are we saying that they are all out of their depth?

We have to also appreciate that we have senior players like Jim O'Brien and Sam Slocombe who I'm sure have been assisting too.

Luke Williams and Stuart Williams are totally different in their man management styles and the players have had to adjust to those differences.

I don't agree that Stuart doesn't inspire or is unable to get the best out of players, he does it in a different way to Luke. Williams was charismatic, Maynard goes about is business in a quieter way, but that doesn't mean in can't inspire his team or get the best out of his players.

What we saw yesterday was a team that played with passion and intent. Who was that down to? It must have come from somewhere. Why not give Maynard credit for that.. 

As I've said before, I believe a good move by the club would be to appoint a DOF at the season's end to assist Maynard.

• Like 1

Robbie

Regarding all the Coaching Staff in my opinion All Must Go. Yes somebody did indeed inspire the team yesterday but if it was Maynard, Why hasn't he done it more? The Appointment of a Director of Football should have been made in January, or when Neil Warnock left Aberdeen . I realise I keep going on about Warnock but is there anybody else that could come in? Warnock knows the Club is still held in high regard by Fans and the publicity Notts would gain from such an appointment would be incredible. Plus if Warnock came in there could still be hope for Maynard and disgruntled Fans may give our current Coach and his staff a second chance. What is needed is someone to point out to the Owners that a Director of Football is needed at the Lane, if they intend ( because in the end everything is their decision) to keep Maynard in the Dug Out.

• Sad 1

Supporter+

@Wheelbarrow repair man 

At the end of the day it is up to the owners.

People who want Maynard out will always bring up any negative to support their case, and on the other hand, people who support him will always state the positives

It seems the owners, at this present time are prepared to support & give Maynard an opportunity to lead the team into a new season.

That may change of course, but influential pundit and former player Mark Stallard thinks that Maynard should stay too.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  502
  • Days Won:  2

@Robbie @Wheelbarrow repair man One thing that I really like about the owners is that they are not prone to emotional decisions like our previous incumbents.  I don't think they will be swayed by fan sentiment much if at at all, or react to a bad run of results, but on their perception of what is going on behind the scenes and whether they believe there is a chance of things being turned around. 

One thing I think does weigh against Maynard, is that he seems unlucky and as Napoleon is supposed to have said 'give me a luck general than a good one'.  

• Like 1

It's been Banded about on Social Platforms that if Stuart Maynard remains at the Lane Notts could end up losing 3000 season ticket holders Maybe or Maybe Not,  as well as the off season Silly season will be kicking off about now and all sorts of rumours and  speculation will arise. But if there is a considerable drop in the purchasing of Notts season tickets, will this force the Owner to rethink their strategy? Whether it's keeping Stuart Maynard in his position or some other reason i e the cost of a season ticket. What ever happens it is indeed going to be an interesting off season down the Lane.

• Sad 1

Supporter+

@Ohh Tommy Johnson @Wheelbarrow repair man

I think it may come down to the publics perception of the two Head Coaches.

Williams may not be any better as a Coach than Maynard, however Luke has a presence and Stuart does not. 

I think a clear example of that difference in leadership style was the styles of PMs, Churchill and Attlee.

I think the Reedtz brothers have a similar style to Maynard so that's why they might favour keeping him on.

• Like 1

Robbie

The Churchill Atlee comparison is a different way to state how things stand at Notts. In that same sort of vein Chamberlain and Churchill were to drastically different leaders and if Churchill hadn't been appointed leader would the Allies beaten the Axis Powers? Much the same do Notts stick with the safe but uninspiring Maynard (Chamberlain) in charge and watch things Crumble or go for a Churchillian Sort of Coach who Inspires motivates and is Ruthless in his decisions? I believe the latter type of Leader is required by Notts and will take the Magpies to the Next Level.

• Sad 1

Supporter+

@Wheelbarrow repair man You may be right about the loss of 3000 season ticket holders but there are several factors that may affect that figure 

It has been mentioned before on social media that Forest being in the PL with capacity crowds meant that the floating supporter came to see Notts with their family. Forest getting relegated may affect that too.

Many fans will look whether Langstaff leaves or what the recruitment is like in the close season.

It may also depend on how we finish the season, whether positive or negative results.

A big positive is that we are safe for another year. The Reedtz brothers are ambitious so realistically they may have been looking up to no more than a couple of seasons to get promotion to league one.

There hasn't been much information coming from the top either from the owners or the CO. A communication with the fans would be welcome at the season's end to keep fans in the loop on how they are thinking.

• Like 1

Supporter+
8 minutes ago, Wheelbarrow repair man said:

Robbie

The Churchill Atlee comparison is a different way to state how things stand at Notts. In that same sort of vein Chamberlain and Churchill were to drastically different leaders and if Churchill hadn't been appointed leader would the Allies beaten the Axis Powers? Much the same do Notts stick with the safe but uninspiring Maynard (Chamberlain) in charge and watch things Crumble or go for a Churchillian Sort of Coach who Inspires motivates and is Ruthless in his decisions? I believe the latter type of Leader is required by Notts and will take the Magpies to the Next Level.

I wouldn't characterise Maynard as being a weak leader, he is more like an Attlee style macro manager unlike Luke who is more of a micro manager.

I prefer the macro style manager myself, because that was my style of Management too, when I headed a department successfully for many years.

Robbie

I didn't say Maynard was weak just uninspiring (like Chamberlain during the first months of the War).  There are Pro's and Con's for both Micro and Macro types of Management at the moment the small things (micro) need sorting out then the bigger picture (Macro) needs to be looked at because there is No point of running a Business or a Football Club if Goals are not set to aim for and be Achieved.  Micro at Notts sorting out the Playing Squad and Coaching Staff. Macro Promotion either automatic or via the Play offs.

• Like 1

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,966
  • Days Won:  5

What would be the benefit of dismissing Stuart Maynard at this moment? It wouldn’t resolve any issues for the club. Letting him go would only cause more disruption to the team. I think the board will give him another opportunity next season, once the squad has adapted to the players at his disposal. Indeed, a manager should be able to extract results from the current squad, but our defence has been lacking for several seasons now.

• Like 3

• Content Count:  1,111
  • Days Won:  54

I had been reading more social media comments after the Swindon game so I feared the crowd on Monday would be pretty flat with a significant number less in attendance but that didn’t turn out to be true. In fact it was pretty much behind the team for the whole game, a few mumbles and grumbles when MK’s 3rd goal went in but that is only natural. Once we started attacking again and pushed for the equaliser the crowd urged the players on. It’s nowhere near as "toxic" as social media makes out, which to be fair is impressive given our struggles second half of the season.

I’m still waiting until the end of the season until I make my mind up, but if we carry on/improve in the last 5 games I don’t think all these threats of “SM out or I won’t renew my season ticket” will come true. Sure they’ll be a handful of stubborn people, but finances are still very tight for a lot of us so maybe it’s just the ideal excuse. If we sign two defenders at the start of the window, off the back of a positive end to the season, I think that will reignite the hope with most of the fans.

• Like 3

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  1,712
  • Days Won:  36

Not surprisingly, I’m in the “he has to go” camp. At the time I thought he was the right appointment and even guessed him correctly when the job was still vacant. Unfortunately, he has had a third of the season and the facts (and lack of points) speak for themselves, he’s not good enough and we need better if we are going to progress.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,954
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I trust the owners to make the right decision about Maynard and I don’t think posts on social media or banners being unfurled at matches will necessarily change their minds.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Supporter+

The fact that Stuart mentioned that changes are already being discussed, demonstrates to me that Stuart is being included in those discussions about recruitment in the close season, so he will be staying.

I think that is a sensible move at this stage of the season with just 5 games to go. 

Our place in League 2 for another season is secure and that is a big positive for the club.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  194
  • Days Won:  0

With only five matches remaining in the season, it appears highly unlikely that Stuart Maynard will be dismissed due to the team’s poor performance. This is because a change in the team’s composition is imminent, with some players set to depart.

The board does not seem to be contemplating Maynard’s dismissal. If they were, I believe they would have acted by now. It seems they are inclined to give Maynard more time. They hired him for a reason, and I don’t think the poor results can be attributed solely to him.

The players have lost their way, and the team is in a slump. However, I remain hopeful that Maynard can turn things around by making necessary improvements to the squad.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  2,667
  • Days Won:  89

I think he should go. 

You can make excuses all day long about the defence, but any manager that would see that team, with Jones, Langstaff, Didzy and Jatta up top, relegated, isn't with persisting with. 

• Sad 1

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  13,082
  • Days Won:  162

some fans wanted luke williams out after the opening game, then again when we next lost a game. he took us to the top and not without introducing problems, i am hoping that stuart maynard can do the opposite. i am more inclined to have faith in the boards decision, but i do feel maynard is up against it. i dont personally have a problem with him. with this being his first professional job, i hope he can bring himself up to grade and that might take time. i do wonder if we should have tried to get him some experience with a different assistant and allow matt saunders to join the coaching team.

• Like 1

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,480
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

Based on the statement issued by the board, SM is here to stay. It seems the computer says Yes 🤣 Seriously though, I understand the brother's use of metrics, it has served them well, but I would advise watching what's going on on the pitch as well......

• Like 1