fullartons tasks from here

liampie

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,908
  • Days Won:  162

i have just re read the article @notts-joe wrote about what he expects and what fullarton needs to do in order to achieve success at notts. its made me think, it raises some very valid points and so i am going to ask the community.

what tasks does fullarton need to do from here?
what players can we afford to let go, so that we trim down the squad?
which out of favour players deserve more of a chance to see what they can do?
and do you want to see jame assisted by someone who can influence and help him? 

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  381
  • Days Won:  0

Stick with the same squad against the wombles where possible.

I am not sure who we can let go, the squad does need reducing if we aim to bring in players. I would like to see more of the lad who scored, the rest I think will pick themselves if they perform how the manager wants. Jamie needs all the support he can get, by not having someone who is experienced at supporting a manager I believe its a risk and I would hope the void it leaves is filled.

Let the two temporary coaches who focus on their job, otherwise this will be the excuse if anything goes wrong.

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  1,727
  • Days Won:  23

deffo keep valencic in the squad the kid looks like he can strike a ball also I'd be tempted to terminate Jenner sprockel and maybe swerts contracts along with amervor don't think there physically up to league two.

Id bring back Adams for left back stick with Milsom and Curtis in middle engine room(energy) glad to see Fullarton noticed that to.

maybe try McLeod and Murray I'd also like to see Genaro have another go at times just do what he did today basically keep the defence tight organised and we will progress

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,993
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Obviously as a point of discussion and not to tell Jamie what he needs to do (as he will make his own mind up about this).

Yet, I would make it priority to access the squad.

Players of which he likes and feels brings something to the club should then be offered deals, so we are talking the likes of Liam Noble - whilst others like Blair Adams will probably have to prove himself if he remains at the club.

So along with establishing and sticking with his XI Notts squad - the contract part will be a major part of the stability which I feel he will require to keep progressing.

I feel we can afford to allow Sprokel, Jenner (if he's not fit/match sharp), potentially Adams, Smith, Mckenzie (unless we play him) to leave.

Hopefully this would permit us to sign at least one centre back, just to give that extra stability to the back.

I would love to see more of Jimmy Spencer, he does well for the reserves and I feel he can with the first team. Obviously after his goal, it would be nice to see Filip Valencic - prior to this he may have landed up on the list of potenial releases, simply because we haven't seen enough of him and I feel the reserve/devolopement team should be made up of proper contenders for the first team. Curtis Thompson hands down deserves to start more regularly, since moving into midfield under Moniz he's been a shinning light and even after his injury, he has done far more than others.

I'd also throw Swerts back into the mix because he looked useful until he played at CB (which he did okay) but it all went pear shaped for him when he moved to the left back position.

Of course I feel Jamie deserves an assistant manager to help him, I really hope he has someone in mind and that the club will appoint one in the future.

Ricardo's downfall for me was partly down to his backroom staff, I also echo comments about allowing Mick Halsall and Ricard Dryden to focus on the youth team. Mick works tirelessly for Notts, yet his worth is with the amazing work he does with the youth team and we need not strentch this - as I feel he deserves to give 100% of his attention to the academy/youth team.

That sums up my opinion on it.

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,772
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

3 hours ago, notts-joe said:

Obviously as a point of discussion and not to tell Jamie what he needs to do (as he will make his own mind up about this).

Yet, I would make it priority to access the squad.

Players of which he likes and feels brings something to the club should then be offered deals, so we are talking the likes of Liam Noble - whilst others like Blair Adams will probably have to prove himself if he remains at the club.

So along with establishing and sticking with his XI Notts squad - the contract part will be a major part of the stability which I feel he will require to keep progressing.

I feel we can afford to allow Sprokel, Jenner (if he's not fit/match sharp), potentially Adams, Smith, Mckenzie (unless we play him) to leave.

Hopefully this would permit us to sign at least one centre back, just to give that extra stability to the back.

I would love to see more of Jimmy Spencer, he does well for the reserves and I feel he can with the first team. Obviously after his goal, it would be nice to see Filip Valencic - prior to this he may have landed up on the list of potenial releases, simply because we haven't seen enough of him and I feel the reserve/devolopement team should be made up of proper contenders for the first team. Curtis Thompson hands down deserves to start more regularly, since moving into midfield under Moniz he's been a shinning light and even after his injury, he has done far more than others.

I'd also throw Swerts back into the mix because he looked useful until he played at CB (which he did okay) but it all went pear shaped for him when he moved to the left back position.

Of course I feel Jamie deserves an assistant manager to help him, I really hope he has someone in mind and that the club will appoint one in the future.

Ricardo's downfall for me was partly down to his backroom staff, I also echo comments about allowing Mick Halsall and Ricard Dryden to focus on the youth team. Mick works tirelessly for Notts, yet his worth is with the amazing work he does with the youth team and we need not strentch this - as I feel he deserves to give 100% of his attention to the academy/youth team.

That sums up my opinion on it.

I agree a lot of what Joe has commented on. However I would keep Dryden as his assistant manager. I have been very impressed by Dryden's handling of the reserves.

For the suggested players to be released, I would add Hayhurst (although still injured).

Pity Snijders didn't make the squad based on his performance for the reserves last week but you can tell that the manager sacrificed offensive ability to a more hard working defensive unit.

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,465
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

Has JF picked the perfect formula for success in L2? Well going on yesterday, he's half way there. Next week at home will tell us if he has hit the jackpot. So what is the perfect formula? Solid away from home. Defend well and hit on the break. At home, take the game to the opposition, high tempo, give them no time to settle. We should beat Wimbledon at home. I'm confident that we will.

Needs a different mind set for home games. The team that played at Crawley, defensively sound, needs refining for the home match. I would have Noble back, maybe Stanley too. Perm from Campbell, Murray and Bennett to make way

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I hope he isn't too defensive at home, we've had some great entertaining attacking games to watch under Moniz, I would like that to continue but obviously still remain tight at the back, if Jamie can achieve that then I and a lot of other fans will be more than happy.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,041
  • Days Won:  71

I really hope that he will focus on getting rid of some of the dead wood in the senior squad and use the younger players from the development squad to fill the gaps.  From what I've seen of the youngsters in the pre-season friendlies and reserve games we have a few who are close to being ready to make the step up.  We don't want to see their progress halted.  That should allow any future signings to be based on quality rather than quantity.  For far too long we have opted for three moderate players who don't really contribute instead of using their combined wages to sign one good player who could make a difference.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  3,589
  • Days Won:  75

Squad wise it obviously needs cutting down. Sprokel, Jenner, Amevor, Adams, and a lot of the never going to make it players. I realise we now have a reserve squad, but surely this should be the stepping stone for the younger guys, not filled with old duffers like Jenner who should have gone on the same plane as Moniz!

Play to our strengths  would be the sensible one. Anyone who has seen them this season knows the defence lacked organisation. If we get this we should be ok when, in my opinion, we replace Hollis. He'll do now as we need anything, but real terms Bennett needs a better partner.

We have an unbalanced middle as well. By all means have players for certain roles, but keep them to those roles. square pegs in round holes shouldn't happen with such a large squad. I can see some departures from the middle in the summer. Including Burke, who has never really dazzled me tbf.

Up front not convinced keeping so many nearly strikers is a good idea either. Spencer is doing well in the reserves. Who is better? Him or Stead? Remove the other one.

Tight away and counter when possible, fast and furious.

Home, dominate and press from the first ball until the last.

Organise roles for all when defending as a team and get the bloody corners sorted out!

There you go. Give me the job when the work experience youth from over the river gets sacked.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  174
  • Days Won:  2

16 minutes ago, hissingdwarf said:

Squad wise it obviously needs cutting down. Sprokel, Jenner, Amevor, Adams, and a lot of the never going to make it players. I realise we now have a reserve squad, but surely this should be the stepping stone for the younger guys, not filled with old duffers like Jenner who should have gone on the same plane as Moniz!

Play to our strengths  would be the sensible one. Anyone who has seen them this season knows the defence lacked organisation. If we get this we should be ok when, in my opinion, we replace Hollis. He'll do now as we need anything, but real terms Bennett needs a better partner.

We have an unbalanced middle as well. By all means have players for certain roles, but keep them to those roles. square pegs in round holes shouldn't happen with such a large squad. I can see some departures from the middle in the summer. Including Burke, who has never really dazzled me tbf.

Up front not convinced keeping so many nearly strikers is a good idea either. Spencer is doing well in the reserves. Who is better? Him or Stead? Remove the other one.

Organise roles for all when defending as a team and get the bloody corners sorted out!

There you go. Give me the job when the work experience youth from over the river gets sacked.

work experience youth? 

• Content Count:  173

39 minutes ago, hissingdwarf said:

That's league football for Notts and the whole club sorted then eh?

I think you do the current manager a disservice in your choice of name for him.

Yes at some point he may get released/sacked , or indeed, be headhunted by another club , but regardless, I'm pretty sure he will have his own ideas about the playing staff and the club generally.

I think over time this lad will gain a lot of respect at Notts but clearly he has some work to do with folk like your good self.

4 hours ago, erindoors said:

work experience youth? 

I could use some of the names used by people who have played with him or been coached by him previously. Unfortunately they wont be gentle sarcasm as mine was, they are cutting and telling (as well as probably being slanderous!!!)

The reaction from fellow pros when you remove Freedman and Gartside as Bolton Chairman ( and boy if he is a reference then we are in trouble!) isn't great, but I have given him the benefit of the doubt to prove the decision correct. Wins may happen, as may defeats. That's football. It's how he reacts to it that counts.

If we get another 8 or 9 changes one weekend then we'll know the players have no faith in him. Likewise if we start to see performances like the Salford match, then the fans will leave in droves (the very reason Curle was sacked even though his results were better than most?)

Likewise if we see movement in the players leaving and not panic buying again we'll know the transfer committee has finally earned its straps because we currently have alot of dead wood on board.

Congrats on the solid defending yesterday. I hope it can be repeated regularly and attacking flair added in.

Until then alot of fans will remain unconvinced that a fourth rookie on the trot in this country is a good idea. I sincerely hope he proves them (and me) wrong by turning the team into a determined bunch of players who will run through walls at the right times and have a little positional discipline when required.

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,465
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

Maybe JF has learned from previous mistakes? We'll have to wait and see. This isn't his squad and I wonder if he has permission to cut where he sees fit. He probably has an idea of the players he wants to bring in.

• Content Count:  173

2 hours ago, hissingdwarf said:

I could use some of the names used by people who have played with him or been coached by him previously. Unfortunately they wont be gentle sarcasm as mine was, they are cutting and telling (as well as probably being slanderous!!!)

The reaction from fellow pros when you remove Freedman and Gartside as Bolton Chairman ( and boy if he is a reference then we are in trouble!) isn't great, but I have given him the benefit of the doubt to prove the decision correct. Wins may happen, as may defeats. That's football. It's how he reacts to it that counts.

If we get another 8 or 9 changes one weekend then we'll know the players have no faith in him. Likewise if we start to see performances like the Salford match, then the fans will leave in droves (the very reason Curle was sacked even though his results were better than most?)

Likewise if we see movement in the players leaving and not panic buying again we'll know the transfer committee has finally earned its straps because we currently have alot of dead wood on board.

Congrats on the solid defending yesterday. I hope it can be repeated regularly and attacking flair added in.

Until then alot of fans will remain unconvinced that a fourth rookie on the trot in this country is a good idea. I sincerely hope he proves them (and me) wrong by turning the team into a determined bunch of players who will run through walls at the right times and have a little positional discipline when required.

Chris Dunlavy wrote an article about Fullarton this morning and may counter a lot ( and confirm some) of the stuff written about the lad.

The Bolton one is interesting as he was brought in do to a specific job there ( as Freedman has asked of him previously to be fair).... and was it unpopular with some? absolutely ...but what was he to do? ignore the manager, his instructions and his reading of the club ?

The development side set up at Bolton under Owen Coyle had become very cosy with the first team and Fullarton was brought in to make it more aspirational and to set standards for the young players.

By all accounts the lad has very high standards and maybe some didn't like that and , more importantly, didn't like being told they weren't ready to step up... this is borne out by the quotes from Freedman that he didn't have time to teach them standards and attitude when they eventually made it through to first team training.

The bottom line is that he taught them the difference between the first team and the development squad....and now that he is a manager? I'm sure he will treat the first team players as exactly that 

Maybe I'm trying to bring some perspective because I'm Scottish but I've been around the game for a while and want to see these young guys doing well.

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  1,702
  • Days Won:  36

I've not read and I'm not going to read the bad press he has had in the past, as far as I'm concerned, he is the Notts manager now and I will support him until he is either sacked (or deserves to be!), or moves on.

He knows far more about football than I do, but there is the one thing that definitely needs addressing that has not been addressed for several years and that is the need for a Gary Strodder style centre half. Someone that gives the players and fans the confidence to think we are not going to get beat easily with him at the back.

1 hour ago, Fozzy said:

I've not read and I'm not going to read the bad press he has had in the past, as far as I'm concerned, he is the Notts manager now and I will support him until he is either sacked (or deserves to be!), or moves on.

He knows far more about football than I do, but there is the one thing that definitely needs addressing that has not been addressed for several years and that is the need for a Gary Strodder style centre half. Someone that gives the players and fans the confidence to think we are not going to get beat easily with him at the back.

What I would give to see Strodder at the back at the moment! Agreed this is vital. Should be experienced enough to handle anything thrown at him, but young enough to ensure pace won't be a problem for a few years. Probably captain material type player in my eyes.

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

Fullarton has something about him but we may need to continue to be mindful.

I like the fact he will talk openly, he seems to be articulate about how he as his side playing and if that gives them to ability to be at their best all could be good. You cannot say he is too defensive, its early doors and the glimpse early on is positive.

I agree with Elite's perspective. Agathise looks to have the potential to "step up" along with the Richards, Jordan (Pedro's son) and Jordon. Looking forward to referees being confused if both were to be in the same side.

Wildin looks a prospect too at right back.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  18,302
  • Days Won:  28

We need to see more games before my view of him will change, but i do hope he does better than my expectations.

Archived