Stead heading north?

Piethagoram

Supporter+

Stead is a player you could build a team around. 100% commitment. I'd imagine JS will be anxious to hold onto him. If he does go, we should bring in 2 to replace him, the beast being one........

Supporter+
29 minutes ago, Piethagoram said:

@Dripsey3 You cannot be serious about the beast..... we need a quality goal scorer with pace. Idle can be shown the door as well

The Beast is a back up option. A player who gives you something different from the bench. Wimbledon used him very effectively. Look at what he gave them off the bench. He changed the course of a fair few games when he came on. He'll give everything in the time he is given, better than someone who will come on and go through the motions. 

Stead is a good player, but he's on the wrong side of 30 - his ability is declining, his touch/control isn't the best and his pace is going quicker than biscuits around Meadow Lane.

I wouldn't be overly bothered if he left.

If he stayed, I would but happy but I hope we sign a quality young striker who can offer us more and perhaps learn off Stead. Just keep McLeod away from anyone learning, we don't need a master of deception or diving.

Nobody had a good season for us last season, so it is hard to judge Stead. He didn't stick out as a player with massive quality, but he certainly looked better than most of the donkeys we fielded. 

For me, it depends on his wages. If he's on something ridiculous like 4k, you could easily get 2 top players for this level on 2k each, and I'd rather that than Stead. 

stead an izale both 34-33 both will easily be on 3-4 grand easily specially izale 

Ive said it before if anything I'd look at Scott Boden who Sheridan took a chance on an signed him for Newport.

He banged in 16 goals in a worse Newport side then us only 21-22 won't cost a lot wage wise either.

As for akienfenwa you're having a joke late 30s never had pace and is coming to a end 

I would get rid of both of them, as their wages could probably bring in 4 younger players of equal, more energetic ability. Stead did an OK job, but was nothing special and his legs have nearly gone, so cash in where possible, or even let him go for nothing.

13 hours ago, Fozzy said:

I would get rid of both of them, as their wages could probably bring in 4 younger players of equal, more energetic ability. Stead did an OK job, but was nothing special and his legs have nearly gone, so cash in where possible, or even let him go for nothing.

He is a luxury player, so we could save on the budget but it all depends on what that is as to if I feel we can afford to keep him or let go elsewhere.

13 hours ago, Fozzy said: I would get rid of both of them, as their wages could probably bring in 4 younger players of equal, more energetic ability. Stead did an OK job, but was nothing special and his legs have nearly gone, so cash in where possible, or even let him go for nothing.

He is a luxury player, so we could save on the budget but it all depends on what that is as to if I feel we can afford to keep him or let go elsewhere.

I probably wouldn't say he was a luxury player, just an average player on too much money, he didn't do badly last year but he hardly set the world alight, 14 goals in 40-50 odd games isn't exactly ground breaking, the fact that the only thing I can say about him is 'he works hard' proves we wouldn't miss him

I should like to point out that the talented and pacey younger players that you are suggesting we sign do not grow on trees. If you are lucky you may find one who has not been signed to an prem league academy -  it appears they sign kids up to stop them going to rivals - but then we will face stiff competition from other clubs, who are in a better position off the pitch.

Its suggested that we can pop out and sign 4 young strikers with quality and potential, yet pay them peanuts. This would be a dream come true, but  is unrealistic.    

JS was played in a wide role for much of last season, a role that is alien to him. In a poor team he was leading scorer  and was probably our most creative player. I would not be in any hurry to see him go.. 

47 minutes ago, Piety said:

I should like to point out that the talented and pacey younger players that you are suggesting we sign do not grow on trees. If you are lucky you may find one who has not been signed to an prem league academy -  it appears they sign kids up to stop them going to rivals - but then we will face stiff competition from other clubs, who are in a better position off the pitch.

Its suggested that we can pop out and sign 4 young strikers with quality and potential, yet pay them peanuts. This would be a dream come true, but  is unrealistic.    

JS was played in a wide role for much of last season, a role that is alien to him. In a poor team he was leading scorer  and was probably our most creative player. I would not be in any hurry to see him go.. 

No, they grow in academies and it takes a talented individual to recognise the ability to start with - yet to develop skill further and nurture a youngster isn't something everyone can do.

Good players don't just come from the academies attached to Premier League teams but you have a better chance of unearthing one if you do look there. When you sit in the lowest professional division, the majority of ready youngsters from any league should be able to progress here (including our own).

You would be surprised to learn that some of the upper end talent being released from top academies would probably want more than peanuts - most likely more than what Stead is on.

Of course some will lower their wage demands based on various things (first time opportunity, lack of higher interest, bonuses etc).

In fact there's good players in reserves/out of favour in first teams - some of whom have just lost their way with a lack of opportunity and provided that they are of the mindset required, Notts should be looking at them also. It's easy to suggest that you only know what you can expect from experienced/recognised players but the circumstances have to be right.

With regards to JS, even when played up front - he would drop to bizarre positions on the field (as most declining strikers seem to do these days).

I don't think anyone is saying he's rubbish, just that he's at the wrong end of his career and probably makes a fair impact on the budget.

Montel Gibson looks quite pact and looked quite intelligent

Archived