Match Discussion: Game 3 - The Chairboys (A)

PON_News

Game 3 - The Chairboys (A)

Team: Wycombe Wanderers

Date: 19/08/17

Where: Adams Park

What line-up should Kevin Nolan opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

Tough one to call this. Akinfenwa had a cracking game last week and given his strength we should play Ameobi to counter this 100%. Defending corners etc. I think the following should be the lineup.

4-4-2

Collin / Tootle - Brisely - Duffy - Jones / Hawkridge - Grant - Yates - Alessandra / Ameobi - Forte

I think this would give us every opportunity to compete in this fixture and i would bench Stead to give him a rest as i think he picked up a knock against Chesterfield. If Grant starts along with Hawkridge and Alessandra, attacking i dont see why we cant get a couple of goals here so ill go for a 2-1 Notts County win. Would love a clean sheet but Akinfenwa is in good form and can see him scoring. 

• Like 1

Forte with Ameobi would be good to see.

I wouldn't change much else for the sake of it, yet perhaps Dickinson deserves a start ahead of Jones? I can't believe I'm suggesting this, but we do have to reward the players that perform well.

It's going to be a test, yet I can actually see us winning if we setup up well against them and work hard.

Provided the basics are met by us as a standard, chances will come and I wouldn't be surprised if Grant/Forte don't run the show.

• Like 1

Looks decent @samwatto2008, but would a central midfield pairing of Grant and Yates leave the defence exposed (I haven't seen Yates play yet)? I think that's why Nolan has preferred to go with a more defensively oriented player like Hewitt or Milsom in there. It's not about picking your best players, but your best team.

1 hour ago, DangerousSausage said:

It's not about picking your best players, but your best team.

Totally agree and see your points. To be honest playing Hewitt in CM is just frustrating me at the moment which is why i put Yates in there but would be happy to see Walker or Milsom in there. Hewitt just is not CM material, in my opinion does not have the attributes to be a play maker or box to box midfielder. 

I think Yates is better at doing the ugly work, much like we had Curtis Thompson doing.

Against Chesterfield for me he did much better at defending and winning the ball back, he seemed lost and nervous in procession going forward and drawn a lot of criticism at half time and after the game. *Cough *Cough @Super_Danny_Allsopp

I really think we need to set ourselves up to be more creative, so again I echo the Spurs styled formation.

Yet provided we keep Wycombe quiet, we shouldn't really need to worry. They're a good side and are unpredictable, yet we beat them by playing as a unit and being direct - so we really need to ensure we are getting our creative players on the ball. Milsom and Grant would do me just fine. :thumbsup:

3 hours ago, Chris said:

Against Chesterfield for me he did much better at defending and winning the ball back, he seemed lost and nervous in procession going forward and drawn a lot of criticism at half time and after the game. *Cough *Cough @Super_Danny_Allsopp

Much better in the 2nd half. Still not sure why we have him on loan though, a similar type of player to Hewitt and Milsom. 

Just depends on how Wycombe set up to play as everyone in the league knows how we play, keep the ball on the deck against us and we're in trouble like Coventry showed, we are always going to bypass the midfield with lumps upto the old men hoping for a mistake from the opposition and with Dan Jones going wandering constantly their right winger will have a field day.

With this in mind I'm going for a Wycombe win 3-1.

Everything was in our favour at half time, with Charlie Slater and Mark Stallard mentioning that it's 'an easy team talk' for Kevin Nolan. I would have stuck to whatever was said before we even kicked off, informing them to go for a third but to keep their focus throughout the field. It's very disappointing to see us give a lead a way like this, it really shouldn't be a case of seeing Notts crumble once we concede.

Despite all this things sounds fairly positive, yet it seems like momentum is in favour for Wycombe.

Is it Collin or the awful defence from last season? Fingers crossed we might be able to get back in the lead or just take the point. It wouldn't be a bad result, just expect to be better when leading.

Good old Jonathan Forte saving the day, I hope he has a word with Kevin Nolan because that's two goals by him and he's looking a great option.

4-2, completely different turn around after we allowed Wycombe back into the game. Surely the points are ours now?