Beware - white goods insurance scam

Supporter+

I've just been called by a very bubbly young lady who was definitely English and very friendly, she knew my name and address and said that the insurance on our washing machine is due to run out, I said we hadn't got insurance on our washing machine as it was at least 20 years old, it was obviously some kind of scam so I hung up immediately.

On looking on line this scam is doing the rounds and catching some people out and they are giving their bank details and being fleeced.

How does that girl sleep at night? Has she got elderly parents/grandparents? She obviously knows that she is taking money from people by deception, how can she do it? The people who fall for this will be the elderly and vulnerable it makes my blood boil. :censored:

Please be aware and make your elderly relatives and neighbours aware.

Scammers don't really care, they just want the money and are too lazy to actually be productive with their lives.

I would recommend all members avoid discussing details over the phone, unless they can validate that the call is genuine. Nobody would ask for your bank or card details, at least nobody professional and usually this is the first sign that you should hang up. Don't be fooled, they're getting clever and more cunning but you don't have to fall victim to these type of scams.

Also, take note of the phone number if you have call I.D and if you don't just try to get the number after via 1471.

Quick Google search will enable you to source the scam and pass over useful information to the police.

This makes me angry to see people treating others in a way that is sick, scamming and stealing money should be punished more. I actually think the UK should ban people from having phones if they misuse them and those scammers based in India should be blocked by default so they can't call people in the UK.

More has to be done!

On 13/07/2018 at 16:11, Fan of Big Tone said:

I've just been called by a very bubbly young lady who was definitely English and very friendly, she knew my name and address and said that the insurance on our washing machine is due to run out, I said we hadn't got insurance on our washing machine as it was at least 20 years old, it was obviously some kind of scam so I hung up immediately.

On looking on line this scam is doing the rounds and catching some people out and they are giving their bank details and being fleeced.

How does that girl sleep at night? Has she got elderly parents/grandparents? She obviously knows that she is taking money from people by deception, how can she do it? The people who fall for this will be the elderly and vulnerable it makes my blood boil. :censored:

Please be aware and make your elderly relatives and neighbours aware.

I had a similar call last week but it was a very polite bloke who informed me that our washing machine insurance was due for renewal.I asked him how I was supposed to renew something I'd never had.He hung up.

About a month ago I answered the phone and an Asian woman told me our BT Broadband would be turned off if I didn't  follow her instructions.I told her to go ahead as we were with VIRGIN..Then last week a different Asian woman rang and told me our Virgin broadband was about to be turned off.I asked her if she knew the woman who told me our BT connection was being turned off.She hung up.Then on Wednesday morning our Virgin Connection DID actually go down and for a second or two I did wonder if there was anything in the phone calls.It turned out our router and the junction box needed replacingThis was done today with a minimum of fuss 

Archived