Slater/Stallard commentary

Fan of Big Tone

Supporter+

What do people think of the standard of commentary on a radio Nottingham. I love Mark Stallard but I think his summaries of incidents go on too long. In the game today he was talking about a good chance that Notts had just missed and I could hear the crowd getting excited and shouting about something and wanted to know what was happening, I wish Charlie Slater would cut him off more and tell us what’s happening. Sometimes it seems the summariser is talking more than the commentator.

Fair comment? Do you agree or disagree? Let’s hear your thoughts.

Mark Stallard is great and I would love to see Dean Yates return when Stallard can’t do it. John Thompson could put me in a coma, he’s so negative and boring. The fact he thinks his opinion is the only one that’s right.

Mark is noble, honest, funny and sensible.

There’s little difference between Yates and him, they both do a great job. Yet at the same time I prefer David Jackson over Charlie Slater but that’s more due to the sound of David’s voice and his commentary ability.

Supporter+

I agree with @Chris that Stallard is very good and funny with it but I really wish he’d limit his summaries so Charlie could get on with the commentary.

i do miss uncle Colin but he couldn’t carry on for ever though bless him.

charlie spends too much time rambling on about details which he seems to become obsessed about. he has a thing for saying its raining repeatedly or a certain player has a tattoo. i like him but think he needs to cut it out and focus on the game.

telling us where the ball is exactly would be a good thing.

stallard is fine. no issues.

I think they're good. I liked Uncle Colin but the quality of his commentary did decline in later years, as you'd expect. And he was OBSESSED about corner counts, and woe betide you if you ever left a match early! ;)

Charlie's good, he gives you a good picture of the game. And I appreciate Mark Stallard's summaries too, especially compared to John Thompson.

Both are fine, I think they do a good job and the coverage is better now.

Younger fans like me will enjoy it much more and although I liked listening to Uncle Colin, I find the only things I miss are his voice and the stats he knew. This can't be replaced but Charlie is far the better commentator and that is just because it's changed so much.

I think Charlie has gotten too comfy, too quick. He focused more on the game at the beginning and now seems to feel he can drift out a lot whenever he feels like it. I prefer Uncle Colin, but times change and I acknowledge that by the end of his commentary run, Colin wasn’t helping fans see the game any more.

Stallard in every game I've listened to this season is bang on everytime. Knows what he's talking about and knows exactly where notts are lacking and gives you great explanations of where it's going wrong. Slater is in with the facts and has a great knowledge to go with games and is enthusiastic about games. They bounce off eachother with one explaining the football and the other with information for the other to react to. 

9 hours ago, Truefootballfan said:

I know I’m in the minority (nothing new there😊) but Colin used to wind me up. He always seemed to delight in the opposition doing well. 

I have no issues with the way it is now.

He wasnt always a nice person, but he did tend to be proffesional when at events.

Archived