Hartlepool United Vs Notts County

Chris

• Followers:  25
  • Content Count:  30,365
  • Days Won:  1,063
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Hartlepool are currently an in-form team within League Two, we seem desperately destined to hang around the mix and quite possible to fall into the division ourselves. This is now Shaun Derry's responsibility, no one can yet say how he will do and it's only opinions which divide us right now.

He seems to have a grasp on what he would like to do, speak passionate and seems to know where we are falling short. Can we judge him after Saturday? I don't think so.

They are a very capable side, one I said last year I could see winning us. This year, I expect the game to be a little closer but they have depth in their squad which could punish an unwary defense and even rock us. It depends how Shaun handles the game, hopefully he start with a common formation and take the game as it comes.

For anyone who doesn't care about the F.A Cup (this season or at all) - I think it's vital we go as far as possible, yes I'd like us to focus on the league but with dwindling gates, which I expect to fall a little more. A decent cup run might help us keep a competitive budget for next year.

Notts 2-1 win.

Thoughts?

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,480
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

I think we'll win the tie, but it may take a replay. A loss would be a disaster. We need wins to boost confidence amongst the players and fans.

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,406
  • Days Won:  69

I agree entirely.A good cup run will generate much needed cash and should raise confidence leading to improving results in the league.Just don't hope for or expect too much too soon.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,954
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Before the new manager was appointed I would have said we will lose this game but now Derry and Abott are installed who knows? The players could well put on a good performance for the new boss and come out eventual winners, even if we need a replay. As has been said a cup run is vital to Notts finances so I really hope we win this one and go into the next round.

If we lose however no one can blame Derry..................can they?

I'm going for 1-1

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  486
  • Days Won:  3

They are no mugs but we now have some impetus. May the force be with us, the "Derry" effect could see us through this one. Interesting to see who he selects and in what positions.

COYP.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  2,140
  • Days Won:  58

GOOD NEWS! Colin Cooper has won the October manager of the month award with Hartlepool, so the manager of the month curse will strike this Saturday! COYP

Before the new manager was appointed I would have said we will lose this game but now Derry and Abott are installed who knows? The players could well put on a good performance for the new boss and come out eventual winners, even if we need a replay. As has been said a cup run is vital to Notts finances so I really hope we win this one and go into the next round.

If we lose however no one can blame Derry..................can they?

I'm going for 1-1

I'm glad you said that, the cups something in recent years we've done well in and I hope to see it continue.

No, Derry should be 5 games to review his progression and 15 is when we will know what type of manager he is. I won't say a word about his ability until this point, as he needs time for his style and skills to pass on. Get 'em playing his way!

GOOD NEWS! Colin Cooper has won the October manager of the month award with Hartlepool, so the manager of the month curse will strike this Saturday! COYP

I hope so!!!!

• Content Count:  47
  • Days Won:  1

Just don't lose and be in next round. That will do for now and we really don't want to be well beat by a lower div side. So a disciplined performance and draw will do me.

• Content Count:  2,832
  • Days Won:  59

Funnily enough, although they are in form I can see Jeff crying already "unbelievable". Chris Kamara to be on the team bus.

• Content Count:  13,082
  • Days Won:  162

get the round over with, do it properly and go for the win. i hope the defense dont let us down, i know people see the midfield as being weak but its not them who are failing us. we know we have quality at the back, midfield is somewhat ambitious.

hope derry gets the squad going.

3-1 notts my prediction.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,743

It's a new start tomorrow,let's get off with a win and build from there.

It sounded like we battled for the game, I can't say anymore really. I am disappointed that we're out of the F.A Cup but we have the JPT and more importantly the league to focus on. I can't say I'm not concerned though (not regarding Derry).

From what I have read, they allowed poor goals in.

Hopefully our new manager can fix this because it will save us many points.

The first goal conceded was a free header 5 yards out, headed down and in at the near post. Good header, but woeful marking.

For the second goal, you would have thought he was Moses, the way the defence just opened up for him. Good save but the rebound was easy as they reacted quicker.

The 3rd was in a crowded penalty, and the ball went in on the 3rd attempt.2 good blocks/saves.

Ok so on the whole:

Bart couldn't exactly be at fault for any of the goals, and otherwise didn't have too much to do.

Thompson was hung out to dry a little first half, how he was expected to win headers against monkhouse, I do not know. But did better as the game went on.

Liddle was ok. One good clearance with his noggin.

Leacock seemed IMO to be spoiling for some. Stupid booking for decent.

Sheehan did ok, a typical performance. best of the back line.

Fotheringham too slow and largely ineffective.

Labadie can consider himself lucky to have stayed out of the book for 44 mins. he was warned on the half hour after a string of infringments.

JCR, did ok offered an outlet not used quickly enough.

Jack Grealish, is it just me, i find he tries to do too much, he has skill a plenty but doesn't always play the team way. Rightly subbed for Enoch.

Arquin, ran a bit, but a bit too late, he tended to switch on and run when the ball was lost. a fraction quicker in thought and deed and mght have latched onto a few more.

Mcgregor was i think quiet by his standards.

subs: Enoch - not match fit, it showed. Oh to have had Haber available, Enoch is a long way off the starting 11

Boucard - biggest contribution was giving away the free-kick

Murray did well and took his goal well, brief appearance but looks a prospect.

Did we deserve to lose, YES the defensive lapses were the killer. We again tried to keep ball, but the players are too low on confidence and it showed.

We need a couple of ugly wins.

Shaun will at least have seen some positives, I did, they were our own youngsters. Some of the older pro's are surplus to requirements as far as i am concerned.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  467
  • Days Won:  5

Just got back. Not really much to say other than we're just not good enough. Can't blame Derry, it's the first time he's had chance to look properly at the players. His second half substitutions nearly paid off. Murray looked sharp and lively. Defensive errors again. I'm afraid Fotheringham isn't good enough and labadie can't stop getting booked. He shouldn't have come out for the 2nd half. I personally don't think we have got the players at the club to keep us in League 1. Definitely need to bring some decent loan players in to change our fortunes. Disappointed not to be in the hat for round 2 of the FA Cup.

Good to see Shaun and Greg to be fair bring the lads over at the end, unfortunately a third had already boo'ed and left. The good thing this week is they relented until the final whistle.

Lets get that over with. To be honest the boos and the applause will I imagine be well used in some motivational discussions. One way discussions i hope. He talks, they listen, and listen good....

Well - that was a disappointment!

Just shows the magnitude of the task facing the new management team, it is one helluva job!

We've lost an opportunity to start building confidence and try to earn a lucrative tie in the later rounds.

Hopefully, we have time to turn this around but I believe it needs a significant change of personnel in January. Too many of this bunch are not even Div 2 standard. This was a bad result and another example of how poor we really are.

Onwards and upwards from here please.

• Content Count:  10,954
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I didn't go to the match, I didn't even get to listen to the radio commentary as we were out with the grandchildren, so my views may or may not be valid.

What I have read and heard since the match is that the players played with plenty of passion for this game the reason we lost is because of defensive lapses (again), the players were up for it, even the ones labelled lazy i.e. Arquin put in a shift but once again inability to defend set pieces was our downfall. Apparently we played a little more direct than of late but not hoofball.

Now I for one think that this defeat was always on the cards. SD only had a couple of days with the players and it is unfair to judge our management set up on one match, maybe after 5 or so games when he gets to know what the players can or can't do and figures out his best team and the best playing approach to adopt we will know a little better whether he will be a successful manager or not.

I haven't looked but I can imagine that on a certain site and social media there are people already saying that SD is a huge mistake and he is doomed to failure, that may or may not be true but as I say I would hope that no one will judge him by this one match.

It's good to hear the view of people who went thanks for sharing.

By the way I have never heard of the second goal scorer Murray?? Is it me showing my senile decline again, I can't remember him playing for Notts, was it his first appearance?

Irish bloke, 22 yrs old. Came on as a sub against Preston the other week - think it was Preston, a recent home game for certain. He signed a few weeks ago, has previously been on trial with Swindon.

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,406
  • Days Won:  69

Even in defeat SD will have learnt a lot about the players.I know it's obvious,but cut out the silly mistakes in defence and Notts are a winning team.Yes,easier said than done.

Irish bloke, 22 yrs old. Came on as a sub against Preston the other week - think it was Preston, a recent home game for certain. He signed a few weeks ago, has previously been on trial with Swindon.

I believe you are right with regards to the game but he signed not long after we played Ipswich (friendly - if I am right).

He will be remembered for CK's decision to bring on a youth/someone lightweight when the majority of fans felt we had better options. Someone who could stand up to the tall players he faced, he didn't really do all that well in the game.

Good for him to score against Hartlepool.

Archived