Wes Thomas refusing to train and options up top

upthepies

A bit of drama has emerged from the latest press at Meadow Lane, with the NEP's very own Leigh Curtis tweeting this.

Wes Thomas is entitled to self isolate, I cannot see him returning to action whilst he has concerns about his family. This leaves us with Elisha Sam and Jimmy Knowles, both of which could do the job if they're up to it but Sam looks like he would benefit more from the game time.

Notts needs to look into what options are out there.

1 hour ago, Countyman said:

Fair play to Wes Thomas, he's got a new born and has to protect his family. Notts should be supporting him during this time.

Could Notts get that striker back on loan that was here last season?

There has to be a time limit on us paying Wes Thomas through his own issues dealing with this pandemic.  Notts should look to put him on furlough, if applicable.

I don't know his personal circumstances, perhaps himself or his family have health conditions that put them particularly at risk, which is fair enough. Having a newborn, however, as far as I'm aware, is very limited risk. A valid risk would have been a pregnant partner, for example, but the risk with a newborn is substantially less. Factor in that he has already had it a couple of months ago, and that 80% of our squad have had it (pretty much herd immunity within that little bubble), the risk is vastly reduced. 

Having said that, each to their own, I'm not one to judge how others try and protect their family during a pandemic. However, a person in almost any other profession that is required to work through this, will not be paid by the company to sit at home twiddling their thumbs. Very few people will be in the situation to refuse to work because they believe it too risky. 

I know the owners have been very generous, but we must be realistic, we can't afford to pay players full-whack because they don't like the risks involved, given the losses we already incur due to no-fan presence. 

Supporter+
14 hours ago, Super_Danny_Allsopp said:

There has to be a time limit on us paying Wes Thomas through his own issues dealing with this pandemic.  Notts should look to put him on furlough, if applicable.

I don't know his personal circumstances, perhaps himself or his family have health conditions that put them particularly at risk, which is fair enough. Having a newborn, however, as far as I'm aware, is very limited risk. A valid risk would have been a pregnant partner, for example, but the risk with a newborn is substantially less. Factor in that he has already had it a couple of months ago, and that 80% of our squad have had it (pretty much herd immunity within that little bubble), the risk is vastly reduced. 

Having said that, each to their own, I'm not one to judge how others try and protect their family during a pandemic. However, a person in almost any other profession that is required to work through this, will not be paid by the company to sit at home twiddling their thumbs. Very few people will be in the situation to refuse to work because they believe it too risky. 

I know the owners have been very generous, but we must be realistic, we can't afford to pay players full-whack because they don't like the risks involved, given the losses we already incur due to no-fan presence. 

I'd imagine he's trying to protect his wife? Imagine if she got COVID and had to be hospitalized, you'd be faced with trying to look after a new born without his/her mother. That's a nightmare. I honestly don't know how you would resolve this issue, I don't envy the club. 

47 minutes ago, Dripsey3 said:

I'd imagine he's trying to protect his wife? Imagine if she got COVID and had to be hospitalized, you'd be faced with trying to look after a new born without his/her mother. That's a nightmare. I honestly don't know how you would resolve this issue, I don't envy the club. 

It's not nice to speculate too much on anybody's private life, so I will refrain. Hopefully they are all healthy and continue to be.

If you look at it from a financial perspective, Notts have paid Wes Thomas for almost a year now since the first lockdown, and he's played 2 games (play-offs). If Wes Thomas doesn't feel comfortable with Covid around, will we pay him to sit at home for another year? 

I agree it's not a comfortable situation but it's not a comfortable situation for anybody in the world at the minute and a line has to be drawn somewhere. 

I am certain that Neal Ardley would've been made aware of Wes Thomas situation early on, I can't see Wes just refusing to play. I don't think he's the type of player who is happy to sit on the bench and get paid for nothing.

The question that should be considered is do we still want his services?

No, I am not suggesting the club finds a way to release him. The issue I see with furloughing a footballer might make his situation harder. It could potentially lead to him wanting out of the club. I feel Thomas is a good striker, who has a few more years of service that would benefit Notts County.

@Super_Danny_Allsopp sunderland furlonged their staff and players. https://insidersport.com/2020/04/07/sunderland-furlough-players-and-staff-during-covid-crisis/

i am not sure doing the same with wes would be the right way forward, what would it resolve or benefit the club? i think giving him some time it might see him want to get back to playing as he sees nobody else within a camp catch it again.

1 hour ago, liampie said:

@Super_Danny_Allsopp sunderland furlonged their staff and players. https://insidersport.com/2020/04/07/sunderland-furlough-players-and-staff-during-covid-crisis/

i am not sure doing the same with wes would be the right way forward, what would it resolve or benefit the club? i think giving him some time it might see him want to get back to playing as he sees nobody else within a camp catch it again.

Yeah they did  - a lot of clubs did, most in our division did, but that was when there was no football to be played, so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make?

It's obvious how it'd help the club. We free up a good strikers wage to bring in somebody that is willing to train and play. Simple as that. 

From the footballing point of view it would have been a massive boost to get him back...

The thing is covid isn’t going to go away anytime soon, unless the NL starts testing clubs weekly I can’t see how he’s going to be able to play for us again… Which basically makes all the isolated training he’ll do pointless.

Anyway NA hinted in his press conference that the club is looking a few strikers, with the possibility of signing one in near future.

Rather than putting him on furlong, I would be inclined to work with him and encourage him to return. He knows how bad COVID can be, as it's been confirmed that he had caught it. I think Notts can highlight how they've managed to reduce the chances of players catching it.

I do not know if he's got a new born or not, I have read this.

It's a difficult situation for all, but getting Wes Thomas back on the pitch would be a goal I would try to achieve if I was the manager.

Most people in Wes Thomas' shoes would be wanting the same outcome as him, so it's hard for me to say football or Notts County is more important. As humans our lives, families and health far outweighs the game (as much as I love Notts).

Yes, the money could help us get a striker in.

I agree with the points and, sentiments expressed by @RetroPie.

Give him time, work with him, the respect will mean something to Wes and when he's ready - I am sure he will return. I think once he has time to see that the squad is doing well, he will want to return to playing. Strikers probably get the biggest buzz from playing.

Archived