Notts article in the New York Times!

Piethagoram

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,007
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

It's ironic that a US media outlet has to report the truth about a two-horse race, while the UK largely follows a different narrative.

I can't speak for other US based papers etc. They probably prefer Hollywood's coverage of making Wrexham famous again and bringing in new investment to revive the non-League team. Our story is more intriguing because we've accomplished what most can only dream of. The competition is between two sport-loving brothers and two random film stars. I mean, the backdrop of Nottingham is vastly more interesting than Wrexham.

That said, I bet the New York Times has suddenly got a lot of Nottingham and UK based registrations. 🤣

• Like 2

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,520
  • Days Won:  9

It raises the question as to why anyone in New York, or even in America, would take an interest, given the scarcity of actual Notts fans over there. Americans may not be concerned about who owns Wrexham, yet that hasn't prevented them from composing this outstanding article.

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

2 minutes ago, upthepies said:

It raises the question as to why anyone in New York, or even in America, would take an interest, given the scarcity of actual Notts fans over there. Americans may not be concerned about who owns Wrexham, yet that hasn't prevented them from composing this outstanding article.

Wrexham are receiving a lot of coverage in the US, and people there are being fed a one-sided narrative about a two-horse race. This article is an attempt to rectify that a little bit. It's a good read, and Connel Rawlinson will be delighted to find out he's now our captain :D As @Chris says, there aren't many clubs out there with a story to tell that is as interesting or as downright bizarre as Notts.

I've got mixed feelings about the US coverage of the National League to be honest. I think a lot of people over there who have "discovered" Wrexham would be better off focussing their interest on their local teams.

• Like 4

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,355
  • Days Won:  1

It's exciting to see our club in the mix for promotion to the Football League. The rivalry with Wrexham has added an extra dimension to this season, and it's not surprising that the producers of "Welcome to Wrexham" have been in touch about featuring us in the show's second season.

Both teams have been exceptional this season, and it's been a joy to watch them push each other to new heights. The fact that we've both amassed more points than any other team in the National League shows just how intense the battle has been.

Of course, it's natural for our manager, Luke Williams, to downplay our chances of promotion. It's a tough ask to overtake Wrexham at this stage, but we're still in with a shout. Even if we do miss out on automatic promotion, the prospect of navigating the playoff system is daunting. But as a Notts County fan, I'm confident that we have what it takes to succeed, no matter what lies ahead.

• Like 3

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  882
  • Days Won:  1

Although it is a well-written article, it seems to be excessively flattering, as is often the case in American journalism. I believe its primary purpose is to criticise Wrexham and to generate interest due to the Hollywood hype.

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,903
  • Days Won:  5

Next season, who would be against Netflix doing a rival to 'Welcome to Wrexham' and producing a 'This is Meadow Lane' mini-documentary series? Pride of Nottingham and @ARLukomski should pitch the idea.

• Like 1

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,923
  • Days Won:  162

i refuse to join to read it, but from snippets i have seen on social media its a very highly praising piece on notts.

• Like 1

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,461
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

I fully agree with the sentiment that the framing of "Welcome to Wrexham" is not within our control. It is understandable that television production involves selecting which aspects of a story to emphasise, and documentaries inherently possess a particular perspective. This perspective can influence how a story is told and how it is understood by viewers.

It is reassuring to know that nobody in Nottingham is concerned about being cast as the villains of the season's story. Similarly, it is not offensive to imagine that the show may depict Wrexham as "plucky" due to their Hollywood backing. Nonetheless, it is evident that far more people will watch the documentary than follow the National League live. This means that Notts County's story may not be viewed as a standalone accomplishment with its own significance, but rather as something that exists exclusively in relation to its impact on Wrexham.

As a result, its meaning may become distorted, muddled, and to some degree, lost. It may not be consumed as sport, but rather, just as a part of the plot. However, it is comforting to know that we have done Wrexham a favour by creating a much more compelling story. It is likely that Wrexham would have won the league weeks ago if it weren't for our team's contribution. According to some, winning the league in this way will make for a better story for the documentary than if they had won easily.

In the end, it is clear that the story will revolve around Wrexham. However, it is thanks to Notts County that there is now a much better story to tell. Despite our role in the narrative being secondary, it is a testament to our team's efforts that we have been able to contribute to the story's development. As a fan, I am proud of what our team has accomplished this season, and I am excited to see how it will all unfold in the documentary.

• Like 2

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

American journalists often like to go against the norm and create a new angle on a topic that others aren't covering. This can be to offer a fresh perspective or to challenge a more popular viewpoint. Regardless, it's great for Notts County to receive recognition like this. The article is very complimentary, and I find it surprising that no one in the UK has written about the Wrexham story in this way.

• Like 2

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  81
  • Days Won:  4

Ah yes, the age-old tale of following the money. But let’s not forget about the little guys like Notts County. Sure, “Welcome to Wrexham” might be grabbing all the headlines, but a good story is nothing without a solid cast of characters. And you know what? You’re right. Who needs journalists bending the truth like David Beckham when you can write your own headlines? Notts County is writing their own legacy and that’s something to be proud of.

• Like 5

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  81
  • Days Won:  4

Oh boy, it’s like trying to navigate a maze of compliments and self-deprecation. All from my own behalf! But don’t worry, I’m here to help explain myself. So let’s see, I'm praising Notts County and their stadium while also calling them “little” in the eyes of the media. But hey, size isn’t everything, right? It’s all about how you use it. And from what I can tell, Notts County is using their stadium just fine. Take the little comment, as if you're Little John. As for Wrexham were the Sheriff… well, I’ll leave that up to you to decide. But one thing’s for sure, I definitely haven't taken your sins tonight, for what it's with!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,469
  • Days Won:  15

Do not worry, @Dry Nelson Ray Notts is a small club in terms of its current position. It is a big club in the National League, but as far as the media is concerned, there is no bigger club than Wrexham at the moment.