A tale of goalkeepers

Piethagoram

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,995
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

The first minutes of Wembley saw Sam Slocombe single handedly hand Chesterfield the initiative. From double kicking a goal kick to giving away the penalty ( I believe 6 years since he last saved a penalty)

Step up Archie Mair... quite quite brilliant

Boreham Wood's emergency loan keeper, Joe McDonnell (ex Notts)   and ex Notts Fitzsimons yesterday... had Boreham Wood's #1 keeper been in place, Nathan Ashmore, we might never have got to Wembley

Football... such fine margins

• Like 7

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,506
  • Days Won:  287

The whole season was decided by goalkeepers and penalties in particular. And not to forget Ben Foster, who looked a liability until he saved Scott's penalty last month. Had that gone in, we may well have gone on to win the league. Thank god our fortunes changed.

Mair's left foot will forever be the stuff of legend!

• Like 4

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,114
  • Days Won:  54

It might have been harsh but getting Mair on for the pens was fully justified. He just looks more imposing too, he's about 6ft 5" and it must make you think you're going to have to really put it in the corner to beat him!  

I was looking at the stats for penalty saves before the game, they’re on Transfermarkt, interesting thing about Slocombe his last penalty save was in August 2019, and that’s his only penalty he’s saved for us! He’s currently on a 16 game streak with 0 pens saved (that includes Dallas' penalty from yesterday).

Edited by menzinho
  • Like 3

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  1,054
  • Days Won:  13
  • 𝕏:  twitter @KB1862

The substitution was rewarding for Notts. Great substitution to make in preparation for penalties. 

Both penalty saves were terrific. Especially the second one. That tweet is bang on the money, it is without doubt an incredible penalty save. 

Guessed the right way, got all of his body behind the ball and magically saving it with his left foot. Truly impressive stuff. 

• Like 4

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  387
  • Days Won:  8

Whatever the reason it was a brave decision, one tha thankfully was justified.

• Like 3

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,519
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

It's always been the plan to bring on Archie Mair if a shoot-out was looming. He had his shirt ready for the Boreham Wood game and was about to come on until Jodi Jones scored. I think Sam Slocombe deserves a lot of credit for where we are this season. It's a shame some fans have already forgotten how he kept us in games during some vital and key matches. He's been at his best this season, despite injury he has always tried his best, and it's natural for people to become nervous.

Archie Mair has plenty to learn and needs more experience, but he is exceptional when it comes to penalty saves. It's nice to see a UK keeper adapting to the style of standing behind the line, as a keeper's instinct is to move and this gives them protection from being forced to retake it. It's also in the rules, as some Chesterfield fans have claimed he should've been on the line.

• Like 4

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,995
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

The many games I have been too this season, I can't count how many times I have missed a beat when Slocombe has played the sweeper 'keeper role with the ball at his feet. Dorking away, where he passed to a Dorking player who went on to score from that. I only recall once Slocombe managed to be in the Vanarama team of the week...and on that day, he had conceded 3 🤔🤐

• Like 2

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  13,083
  • Days Won:  162

there was a moment after mair came on where his feet seemed to get stuck in the ground and he passed the ball, i think to rawlinson who rushed it out. i think its a common thing for keepers @Piethagoram.

i think in time a younger keeper would thrive in this position and i hope that its tiernan brooks.

as for the switch it was a great decision bring on mair for the pens, two keepers who each played their part in taking notts up.

• Like 1

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  3,557
  • Days Won:  9

We should all be grateful for the outstanding performances of both Sam Slocombe and Archie Mair at Wembley. Bringing on Mair for the penalties was a stroke of genius, but we must also remember to thank Slocombe for his crucial role in keeping us in the game. Without his efforts, we may not have even made it to the penalty shootout. Both goalkeepers played a vital part in our success and deserve recognition for their contributions.

• Like 2

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,789
  • Days Won:  27

The story of Sam Slocombe and Archie Mair is one worth telling. Both goalkeepers played their part in our success and deserve recognition for their contributions. While we should praise Mair for his excellent penalty saves, we must also acknowledge the important role that Slocombe has played for the club

• Like 2

• Followers:  25
  • Content Count:  30,367
  • Days Won:  1,063
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I hope Tiernan Brooks gets more playing time next season. He seems like a talented goalkeeper. If Sam Slocombe gets released due to his hip issues, I think it would be best to prioritize experience when looking for a replacement.

It's been an incredible season, where two keepers filled in without any disappointment. As for the playoff final, Archie Mair has placed his name into the history books, and we have him to thank for promotion. Without his saves, it would've been a lot more stressful.

• Like 1

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,514
  • Days Won:  15

The tale of two keepers at Wembley was a genius idea by Luke Williams. If it hadn’t paid off, I believe most fans would agree that it made sense to bring on Archie Mair given his previous saves for Notts from the spot.

• Love 1