Matty Palmer the beating heart of Notts County

Supporter+

• Like 19
  • Love 2

Macaulay Langstaff  deservedly got plenty of praise last season,but it's pleasing to me to see Matty Palmer also being recognised for all his efforts.

• Like 12
  • Love 4

This is why I have always spoken highly of Matt Palmer. He's just a quality midfielder that does all the stuff most fans take for granted. Tracking back to defend or to pick up the ball, his passing becomes a motor to move forward and into space. Palmer's partnership with John Bostock is unstoppable. While Bostock operates similarly, Palmer's strategic movements and quick decision-making skills allow him to effortlessly navigate the field, leaving other players in awe.

He's by far the best all round midfielder that Notts has had for years.

I'm hoping we can start getting a bit more out of him in terms of his finishing, but I do acknowledge that not everyone will get goals. I just think it's the only area he doesn't have confidence in or excel at, and it's natural.

Palmer will have worked harder on what he's good at and that's why he's so good; I just think seeing him score a bit more would be nice for him.

• Like 17
  • Love 2

Supporter+
15 minutes ago, magpiejue said:

Best since the days of Don Masson. 

Yes, I’ve said exactly the same thing @magpiejue

• Like 8

He’s a fantastic midfielder; very rarely does he lose the ball, and I would agree that he’s the best midfielder the club has had for years. He’s like Neal Bishop but with a lot more about himself. Bishop was a good worker, but his abilities were limited; Palmer is more all-round as a player.

• Like 18

This speaks volumes about Matt Palmer; he doesn’t put a foot wrong most of the time, and it sometimes looks as if he glides around the pitch even when he doesn’t have the ball. While he’s got average pace, his passing and skill make it hard for other clubs to get a foothold in the game. He works tirelessly; I do agree.

• Like 13

Very interesting graphic. Matt Palmer seems to be one of those players who covers a lot of ground while performing at a very high standard. The way he covers so many blades of grass shows part of the quality he possesses.

It would be interesting to compare this to the end of our League Two campaign. Will it be similar or increase?

• Like 10

He’s the personification of excellence and consistency. If I thought of the perfect midfielder, I would take most of Matt Palmer’s characteristics and abilities, and they would form at least 70% of that player. He truly is fantastic; he’s a great player.

• Like 5

Matty Palmer would be the first name on my team sheet. It’s hard to see Notts performing as well without him. He does all the useful bits that often go unnoticed, but he also excels in areas that people do see. His pass rate is high and he has a great work rate.

• Like 3
  • Love 1