Match Discussion: EFL Cup - The Imps (H)

PON_News

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  18,279
  • Days Won:  80

EFL Cup - The Imps (H)

Team: Lincoln City

Date: 08/08/2023

Where: Meadow Lane

What line-up should Luke Williams opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Like 1

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,773
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Judging by our performance against Sutton, on paper this game looks very difficult, however I hope that Notts will want to put things right and give a good performance. If I was Williams I would put the same team out and tell them to show a reaction to todays heavy defeat.

• Like 4

• Content Count:  12,921
  • Days Won:  162

its not a knee jerk reaction, but i intended to go to this game even though i have work.

yet i have decided against this, as it would mean i would have to rush to get to meadow lane if i finish at half 5 like normally on a tuesday. if i end up needing to say for 6, it would just be to much. so i have decided after seeing the terrible performance against sutton i will save my money. i am not bothered about the cup anyway, but i had intended to go to show my support. the only thing i can say is how seriously will luke williams take it?

the players need to use the game to respond positively from their shocking performance.

• Like 3

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,788
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

From @Fan of Big Tone "If I was Williams I would put the same team out"... so you want a zero attendance at the San Sirrel after that abysmal performance😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,466
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

Lincoln were thumped 3-0 at Bolton and like us, their fans are expecting a response. Both teams will make changes I reckon. I wonder if LW will change the formation. Lincoln play football which might suit County. Or maybe they'll decide to lump it long and hope to exploit County's glaring weaknesses at the back. 

• Like 4

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,461
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

How annoying would it be if Notts won convincingly after losing to Sutton? It would be nice to have a good League Cup run, but at the same time, the league is far more important, and doing well would just be frustrating considering how poor the Sutton game was. I do want Notts to do well, but if they went out and played like world-beaters, I would be hacked off.

• Like 3

Supporter+
8 hours ago, TheSkipper said:

if they went out and played like world-beaters, I would be hacked off.

Personally I’d be delighted. :huh2:

• Haha 3

Supporter+

Got my ticket, £10 for us old farts. Who else is going?

• Like 1

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,059
  • Days Won:  54

On 06/08/2023 at 22:35, TheSkipper said:

How annoying would it be if Notts won convincingly after losing to Sutton? It would be nice to have a good League Cup run, but at the same time, the league is far more important, and doing well would just be frustrating considering how poor the Sutton game was. I do want Notts to do well, but if they went out and played like world-beaters, I would be hacked off.

I get what you’re saying but I’m sure deep down if we won 3-0 and convincingly, you’ll be happy and it’ll help ease some nerves about the season ahead.

I actually want to see a reaction, prove Saturday was a one off and go and show everyone what they’re really capable of. I’ll be more annoyed if we lose and concede 4 or 5 again.

• Like 2

Supporter+

We huffed and puffed but one shot on target says it all really, once again another stupid sending off when Baldwin took a second needless yellow card, we need to learn fast.

Having said that there were 8 changes, a few key players were rested and we mustn’t forget Lincoln are a league above.

• Like 4

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,298
  • Days Won:  69

Not the start to the season I was expecting.I'm feeling a bit deflated.So much expectation blown away.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  12,921
  • Days Won:  162

2 games and two red cards, yes this is the cup but its silly.

hearing luke williams say that aden baldwin should have left the ball to the keeper, but decided to needlessly put in a challenge says we are not coping with the pressure. it is disappointing because this and just a single shot is not what we should expect from this squad. its very poor, but i have the faith that once we get a win things will start to improve. i just worry that it might take awhile.

personally, i would look to williams to try to adjust things. either change who starts or tweak the formation.

• Like 1

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,788
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

We are missing Ruben for the ability to beat a man and make that inside pass

Defence at fault for both goals though Lincoln could have had easily 2 or 3 more.

We need 2 decent central defenders from somewhere

Brindley shouldnt be anywhere near this team come Saturday

• Like 1

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,466
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

That was a comprehensive 2-0 defeat. Lincoln should have scored 5 or 6. The defence is woeful. Either a change in formation or new personnel are required. A half decent defence is required in League 2. County don't have a half decent defence right now. We better hope that changes or it's going to be a long season. 

• Like 1

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

According to the radio we changed to four at the back @Dripsey3?

Last season we got away with sloppy defending at times by outscoring the opposition. That's not going to go in our favour as much this time. It was clear over the summer we needed to improve in this department and it remains to be seen whether Tipton on his own will be enough.

We also have an issue in that we got a hammering on the first day, which affects confidence, makes the players more nervous, causing them to make poor decisions and so the cycle goes on. It's partly a mental problem and we need to get over it quickly. 

That said, we shouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater. The last two games aren't going to be representative of our season as a whole - against Sutton absolutely everything that could go wrong did go wrong, we had an early sending off and defensively we seemed to forget the basics. Last night we were playing a L1 team with a nervous defence, a different formation and minus many attacking players who might have taken the pressure off a bit.

Against Grimsby we have to dominate and play on our terms and not let fear get the better of us. Even just scoring the first goal could help settle them down. 

• Like 1

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  1,054
  • Days Won:  13
  • 𝕏:  twitter @KB1862

Listened to Luke Williams interview last night and caught the highlights earlier on today.

Both goals seemed avoidable and I can see why Luke Williams sounded and looked very disappointed in the way we conceded especially the first as he mentioned it wasn't even that they out jumped on of our guys to head in it was the fact the managed to get the first touch and got the second to score. 

The second goal, sloppy pass and lack of closing down the ball allowing them to push forward and a free man to capatilise on the rebounded effort. 

As for the Baldwin red card, I also agree with Williams comments that it was needless just let it run through to the keeper. Silly second yellow to have. 

It could have and probably should have been 3 or 4, fortunately it wasn't. 

It doesn't sound or look good when there is such a lack of attacking threat happening in the game. 

It was nice to hear Luke Williams thoughts on the game though, as he said if the opening game wasn't as bad it was this game against a team a league higher wouldn't have been taking as badly as it is but cause there's already a dark cloud over Notts after the first game there needed to be more. 

Off the pitch, I get the first 2 games have gone bad but let's not jump on the negativity bandwagon. There's still a long way to go and one less Cup competition could prove beneficial in the long run for the league. Keep the faith and back the lads. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  368
  • Days Won:  1

Did anyone notice for the last 15 minutes of the game we crossed high into the box...... Why didn't the crosses come in like that when Scott was on the pitch????? I wasn't at all impressed by Scott's replacement..... In my eyes Morais will always be known as the Son of Akinfenwa!!!!!!! 

• Like 1

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  18,303
  • Days Won:  28

I don't think Luke Williams put on a team to win the game so that we can focus on the league and get to where we want to be, so theres no distrations from cup games.

• Like 1

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,007
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I wasn't interested in the League Cup, I don't think we've taken this or the FA Cup seriously for a while, oddly the EFL Trophy seems to have a higher priority. I wasn't surprised to see that we lost, what I did feel disappointed in was hearing Luke Williams say that nobody expects us to win a team a league above us. It just seemed a loss of menality towards achieving our potential. Did I expect to win? No, especiallly due to the Sutton game but to outright say it as a manager seemed more negative frustration than his usual carefully chosen words.