Remembering Jimmy Sirrel: Share Your Stories

PON_News

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  18,270
  • Days Won:  80

Today, we’re taking a moment to remember and celebrate the life and legacy of the greatest manager in our club’s history, Jimmy Sirrel. His leadership took us from the Fourth Division to the First, a feat that will forever be etched in our hearts and in the annals of Notts County.

Though it’s been years since his departure, and more since his passing, his memory continues to inspire us. We know that many of you have personal stories, encounters, and memories of Jimmy that you hold dear. Today, we invite you to share those stories with us.

Did you ever meet Jimmy in person? Do you remember a particular match that stood out during his time? Maybe you have a favourite quote from him that still resonates with you? Or perhaps there’s a story passed down in your family about Jimmy’s time at Notts County?

Whatever your memory or story, we’d love to hear it. Let’s come together as a community to remember and celebrate Jimmy Sirrel, a true legend of Notts County.

Looking forward to reading your stories!

• Like 2
  • Love 10

• Chris featured this topic

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,906
  • Days Won:  162

i remember jimmy sirrel attending games back when i first started watching notts but i never had the pleasure to speak or encounter him in person. i do often wonder what he thought of times where notts struggled, like when we were relegated from the football league. plus our promotion and even how things are going now.

one of the times i spoke to colin slater, he told me that i would have enjoyed the football that jimmys teams would play.

• Like 8
  • Love 2

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,991
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I never met Jimmy Sirell either, but his daughter, Audrey, is such a lovely lady.

I say, I never met him but once my grandfather, Ray, spoke to him and afterwards he told me that it was our greatest manager. I couldn't really understand what Jimmy said, so I paid little attention to me being so young at the time. I just assumed it was a supporter that my grandfather knew, until after he told me. I have always enjoyed hearing stories about Jimmy. I wished I had listened more closely to their conversation, but he seemed a very nice person, that was down to earth. I know it meant a lot to my grandfather, that Jimmy took the time out to always speak to him when they crossed paths.

Brian Stubbs once told me a story about a pitch invasion that happened and how he was clobbering people, to which Jimmy didn't like and told him to do it away from sight. 😂

Les Bradd also once told me that Jimmy would do anything for anyone, always making sure the players knew they could approach him, but nobody wanted to anger Jimmy as he commanded such high respect that he could be quite fiery when annoyed. 😏

• Like 8
  • Love 2

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,462
  • Days Won:  15

Jimmy Sirrel embodied the spirit of Notts, and his tenure as manager was a testament to his passion for the club. His transformative influence turned Notts into a remarkable team, rekindling the kind of enthusiasm that younger fans might currently associate with Luke Williams. Sirrel was an exceptional manager who had the ability to bring out the best in any player. The respect he commanded from his players often translated into outstanding performances on the pitch, and his knack for team-building was second to none. Undoubtedly, the day we lost Jimmy was a day when a light over Meadow Lane dimmed. However, his legacy continues to illuminate the annals of English football.

• Like 1
  • Love 9

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  372
  • Days Won:  0

Jimmy Sirrel was always deeply involved in training, maintaining his fitness by participating in team practices. The squad would train on The Embankment, adjacent to The River Trent, and I would observe their sessions from afar. Today’s players may not fully appreciate the privileges they enjoy.

• Like 7
  • Love 2

• Content Count:  558
  • Days Won:  4
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Retro_Pie

Jimmy was one in a million; he took Notts to the highest the club has been and made them the most successful we have ever been. It was always a joy watching one of Sirrel’s teams take the field, and as a coach, he improved the players. He gave them something to believe in, and a lot of fans wouldn’t be Magpies’ if it wasn’t for his leadership. It was a sad day when he left Notts, but he achieved so much with so little. By the time he arrived back, it just wasn’t the same the second time around.

• Like 6
  • Love 2

• Content Count:  130
  • Days Won:  0

Jimmy Sirrel, the wiry Scotsman, was more than just a manager for Notts County. He was the architect of dreams, the instigator of hope, and the man who breathed life back into our beloved club. His arrival at Meadow Lane marked the beginning of a transformation, turning a struggling team into a force to be reckoned with. His passion and belief were infectious, and he instilled these qualities into his players, turning them into winners.

The players Sirrel worked with were not just individuals; they were his warriors on the pitch. Names like Don Masson, Brian Stubbs, Les Bradd, Bob Worthington and David Needham became synonymous with determination and skill. Each game was a battle, and they fought with all their might. The big games were always a spectacle. The tension in the air was palpable as we watched our team take on the giants of football. And under Sirrel’s leadership, we didn’t just compete; we thrived.

Sirrel’s crowning achievement was undoubtedly the promotion to the First Division for the first time since 1926. This monumental feat was a testament to Sirrel’s genius and dedication. But it wasn’t just about the big games or the promotions. It was about the journey, the ups and downs, and the sheer determination to never give up. That’s what Jimmy Sirrel embodied. His legacy lives on in every corner of Meadow Lane, reminding us of what he achieved and what he meant to this club.

• Like 2
  • Love 5

• Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I went to a Lifeline function with Mrs. T and Jimmy was in attendance, I pointed him out to my wife and told her he was the manager and I wish I had the courage to ask for his autograph but I was too shy so she said she’d ask him.

He was really nice and a real gentleman, she asked him for his autograph and he said “ Aye of course, nae bother”. I really wished later that I hadn’t been too shy to speak to him. To my wife he was just a bloke but to me it would have been like approaching God, I was in awe of him.

• Love 6

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,991
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

6 hours ago, Ohh Tommy Johnson said:

Jimmy Sirrel gazumped my parents on a house once... my parents didn't seem to mind at all.  Anybody else though....

At least you knew where he lived; I assume none of your family ended up camping outside the house trying to bump into him? 😂

6 minutes ago, Fan of Big Tone said:

He was really nice and a real gentleman, she asked him for his autograph and he said “ Aye of course, nae bother”. I really wished later that I hadn’t been too shy to speak to him. To my wife he was just a bloke but to me it would have been like approaching God, I was in awe of him.

What a hero Mrs T was for doing this.

You really should have, but I know what it's like. I think it's something that once you do, you gain that confidence but until then there's always that nervous element like you feel you are bothering people or should leave them to enjoy their night.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Supporter+
2 minutes ago, Chris said:

there's always that nervous element like you feel you are bothering people or should leave them to enjoy their night.

That’s exactly right @Chris that’s just what I thought, I regret it now though.

• Love 6

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  502
  • Days Won:  2

10 hours ago, Chris said:

At least you knew where he lived; I assume none of your family ended up camping outside the house trying to bump into him? 😂

I was only little when it happened.. they didn't tell me until he had moved as they knew that's exactly what I would have done!!

• Like 1
  • Love 4

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,455
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

I’ve never met Jimmy, but I would have loved to interview him. I’ve spoken to famous people for my work, but none of them really interest me. Jimmy Sirrel would be in my top 5 dream interviews. I enjoy hearing fans share their experiences with him. He was an excellent manager, arguably the best the club has ever had.

• Like 5

Supporter+

Another story about Jimmy is one read from the book Steak Diane Ross by David McVay, the story went something like this: The team had travelled to an away match and were having a meal in a cafe or hotel, the waitress asked if they had finished with the bottle of tomato sauce, Jimmy had just put some sauce on his dinner before he handed it back to the waitress he licked the surplus off the rim of the bottle. Apparently it was a bit of a ritual the players would nudge each other when they saw him picking up the sauce bottle and sit in anticipation of him licking the sauce off.

• Like 4

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,727
  • Days Won:  27

I’ve never met Jimmy, but I’ve read a lot about him over time and it’s clear that many fans respect him greatly for bringing some of the best moments to Notts County during their years of support.

• Like 4

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  502
  • Days Won:  2

11 hours ago, Fan of Big Tone said:

Another story about Jimmy is one read from the book Steak Diane Ross by David McVay, the story went something like this: The team had travelled to an away match and were having a meal in a cafe or hotel, the waitress asked if they had finished with the bottle of tomato sauce, Jimmy had just put some sauce on his dinner before he handed it back to the waitress he licked the surplus off the rim of the bottle. Apparently it was a bit of a ritual the players would nudge each other when they saw him picking up the sauce bottle and sit in anticipation of him licking the sauce off.

I like the one where he is trying to stop the Man City fans getting into the dressing room with a scalpel!  I really like that book, it's well worth a read if you haven't yet.

• Like 3

• Content Count:  3,009
  • Days Won:  1

We’ve had some fantastic shared experiences, and there’s always room for more! No matter how small, it’s wonderful to gather a collection of remarks in memory of such a remarkable man from our community. Do you have a tale that you think should be shared here? Maybe a family member had an encounter with Jimmy and you recall the story? Let’s hear it, folks, join the conversation!

• Like 4

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

It wasn’t uncommon for Jimmy to go to a pub after games with some of the players. Several times I said hello and would ask him about his thoughts on Notts. He was a very friendly person, with a very thick Scottish accent which never changed. Yet he had his own way of speaking. Sometimes, I must admit he would speak so fast that I would just nod.

You would feel rude in this scenario but just being in his presence felt incredible.

On a night out in Notts, I once came across Jimmy with Brian Clough. They were both deep in conversation, so I never bothered them but it was a sight to see them.

I feel very privileged to have spoken to Jimmy. Younger fans who would have missed this, go speak to Les Bradd or Don Masson, they will tell you stories which will make you see just how important he is to our club’s history.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,509
  • Days Won:  9

I wouldn’t say Jimmy Sirrel thought of me as a friend, but I considered him one and I’m fortunate to have known him quite well. I had chats with him during the years he spent at Meadow Lane, that’s just how the club was back then. The place now known as Lawton’s Bar, or whatever it’s called, as I don’t frequent there now, was once a spot where you’d always see the players or Jimmy. He’d always get a round in, have a natter with fans and then get back to work. If you bumped into him, he’d talk to you. That’s just how Jimmy was, you didn’t need to greet him, you just had to be in his vicinity or catch his eye.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  65
  • Days Won:  3

There is one blogger on YouTube, Footy Adventure. Kinda groundhunter. Ha has video about Nottingham. And when he told about Meadow Lane and came to Sirrel monument he noticed that he doesn’t know who is that. Honestly I was surprised.