New manager

On 04/01/2024 at 13:04, Fan of Big Tone said:

Wayne Rooney’s out of work, just saying. :joker:

My site manager, who's a Birmingham fan, messaged the group chat earlier with the message directed to me as "Rooney's available mate 🤣

Whoever the Reedtz decide to bring in as Luke Williams replacement, I trust that they'll make a good appointment.

• Like 6

There are some really good shouts here. Maynard would be interesting as he's had Wealdstone punching well above their weight. We might have beat them comfortably last season, but their budget was a world away from ours.

Whoever we get, we can be pretty sure that we won't be getting a celebrity appointment. It may well come from leftfield, as the board does tend to look at their track record as a coach rather than as a manager.

• Like 5

@Piethagoram i was like who is that at first but i have listened to two interviews from him, one from a tour and this. i think he speaks well but would he come to us for a chance to gain first team managerial experience? i am not so sure.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

If the brothers past 2 appointments are anything to go by, we're unlikely to know who is the running until the appointment. No doubt the usual social media culprits will claim they are 'in the know' but they'll likely know diddly squat. 

The only way we tend to find out about these movings is if we're after a manager currently employed and the leak will come from the other club, see Altrincham and Swansea.

• Like 6

I’d be worried if it was a coach who’s come straight from an academy. It would be a massive risk, academy football isn't the same as men's competitive football. Simon Rusk was the next big thing but he didn’t work out at Stockport. And this season David Horseman at FGR really struggled.

Most coaches have to start there I get that but I’d hope we’d look for someone who’s progressed into the men’s game at some point, be that as a head coach or assistant coach.

• Like 7

We tried to get Altrincham's Phil Parkinson before we appointed Williams, so the board clearly rate him. I wonder if we'll have another go? We're a division higher now, so might be a more tempting proposition.

He signed a new two-year contract in the summer, so there would be compensation (which we could pay with the compensation we received from Swansea). But does he want to leave? 

• Like 7

@DangerousSausage I think Phil would be a good choice too along with other possible contenders.

It's refreshing that Notts always tend to keep these things under wraps.

I'm sure lots of work is going on, as I write, to find, interview & appoint a new Head Coach, but Notts won't rush it.

We will probably be taken by surprise once the Reedtz brothers' choice is presented to us.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Some other names that have featured with the betting sites that haven't been mentioned on here yet are:

Ruaidhri Higgins - Current Derry City manager.

Scot Lindsey - Current Crawley manager.

Daniel Stendel - Former Barnsley manager and current Hannover 96 reserve team manager.

Cameron Toshack - Son of John, last job was a first team coach at Leeds. And interestingly he has spent a lot of time coaching at Swansea.

Matt Gill - Former player (I don't really remember him, so he clearly wasn't great) current Southampton Assistant Coach. And he took over LW role when he left Swansea for us...

• Like 7

Matt Gill was awful @menzinho, I think Gary Mills signed him which says it all. But most times it’s the not so great players that make the best coaches, so who knows who it will be. We’ve all guessed but I bet hardly anyone gets it right.

• Like 6

I remember Matty Gill, Gary Mills played him out of position, transfer listed him and he quickly became a target for the boo boys. He didn't have a good time with us, but went on to have a decent career. However, both of our appointments under the brothers have had experience as the number one, so I can't see it happening. 

As for Stendel, he led Barnsley to promotion but didn't pull up many trees after that. He's currently managing the B team of Hannover 96, who are top of the Regionalliga Nord, Germany's regional fourth division. Not sure how I'd feel about that. But the owners tend to look at coaching credentials rather than the managerial track record, otherwise Luke Williams wouldn't have got the job. 

• Like 9

Yeah it's interesting the brothers clearly don't just look at win percentage, neither IB or LW had particularly great records before coming to us. I'm not too fused if the new guy is in a similar situation.

The more I think about it the more I can see it being someone like Brian Barry-Murphy, in that he had 109 games in charge of a Rochdale but his record on paper doesn't look that great. However look at where Rochdale are now, they've just bombed since he left so it was clearly not a well run club he was managing at. This is the kind of thing the Bros will look into and they'll find out how he really did there. There's clearly much more to it than just win %.

But it is an odd thing that some people do get hung up on. I'd imagine a lot of other owners do and wouldn't have thought much had Luke Williams applied at their club. Now they all know it was a massive missed opportunity as he was available for a couple of months before we got him! 😆

Edited by menzinho
  • Like 8

13 hours ago, Piethagoram said:

Just to point out in case anyone missed it, that story is from when Burchnall left. I don't remember him at all, but our approach back then might explain why he's being mentioned now.

The odds aren't really changing much, a lot of the names have just been linked with us in the past. 

• Like 3

On 09/01/2024 at 21:27, Robbie said:

I may be wrong but my bet is on Stuart Maynard.

i think this is who we are after and i think the reason its taking longer to appoint someone is because we are looking to hire someone who is currently already hired. compensation is probably the main reason reason, as i feel the reedtz will have already compiled a list of managers well before luke williams had left. if we are going outside of this, i still quite like gary rowett as i think he would do well with our squad.

• Like 5

I think Stuart Maynard is someone we'll be looking, he's definitely done well at Wealdstone considering they are still part-time. I personally don't think it'll be him though, just my thoughts, I think being in L2 and pushing for L1 it puts us in an even stronger position since we last had to recruit a new head coach. I'd expect we'll have had some high calibre coaches applying and probably a few who'd we think aren't realistic.

I'd love to see Chris and Alex's shortlist, all we've got to go on right now are the bookies odds and that isn't exactly a true reflection of who is in the running...

At the moment the 'favourite' (I use that term in the loosest sense possible) is Morten Dahm Kjaergaard. (Who?) He is a real person and a football coach but I'm guessing his odds are courtesy of the guys who put their money on some obscure Faroe Islander last time!

• Like 2

I don't think they will appoint someone who has never taken charge of a professional club. If they do, then he must have something about him, but I think you need to have some experience if we are to try to climb the leagues. We won't go up with a manager who is always picking up new things. Luke Williams and Ian Burchnall each had something about them before arriving. I will support whoever comes in, but I think it's a mistake to believe that someone who has never been in charge of a club at a professional level can match our current growth.

• Like 3

Kjaergaard's odds seem to have drifted slightly. I suspect this might be another case of someone having a punt on a random Danish bloke. He does fit the mould in that we would be his second club and in terms of our style of play, but we should remember that the Danish third division is nothing like ours - only their top flight is fully professional.

I have a feeling it'll be someone nobody here has considered.

• Like 2