Conor Grant. Who is he?

Robbie

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,485
  • Days Won:  166
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

Conor Michael Grant is a 23 year old Irishman who was born in Dublin in 2001. He can play either in the centre of midfield or attacking midfield, which will give Notts plenty of options.

At youth level, Conor played for Irish clubs Malahide United & Shamrock Rovers before joining the academy of EFL Championship club Sheffield Wednesday in May 2017.

He signed professional terms in December & in September 2020, Grant made his professional debut coming late on as a substitute in a 2:0 EFL Cup second round win over Rochdale.

In Feb 2021, Conor signed a 2.5 year contract with EFL League One club Rochdale, for an undisclosed fee. He made his debut five days later as a substitute in a 2–0 defeat away to Charlton Athletic.

In April 2021, Grant scored his first senior professional goal in a 2–1 home win over Swindon Town.

In June 2022, Grant joined EFL League One club Milton Keynes Dons for an undisclosed fee, signing a "long term" contract. He made his debut on the opening day of the season in a 1–0 defeat away to Cambridge United.

Grant scored his first goal for the club on 9 August 2022 in a 1:0 EFL Cup first round home win over Sutton United.

Conor was named Young Player of the Year at the club's end of season awards ceremony.

In Feb 2024, Grant joined League One club Barnsley on loan for the remainder of the season with an option to buy.

And as we know, Conor signed for Notts on a three year contract on the 9th of Feb.

(Source Google)

Stuart Maynard expressed his delight in signing Conor after Notts had been keen to sign him for a while. Stuart believes Conor will fit into the Notts style of play very well.

• Like 1
  • Love 8

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,144
  • Days Won:  17

From reading the above topic it would appear the Kid as been pushed from Pillar to Post without being given much of a Chance at any of the EFL Clubs he's been associated with, never being given time to settle. Could it be like most young players he's been kept by a Club then Sold on for an Undisclosed Fee, as seems the Norm for young players these days,   Tiernan Brookes at Notts springs to mind.

Will he be given the chance to display his Talent for the Magpies ? Or will he be shipped out on Loan or held onto until another Club comes in to offer Notts a profit on their Investment? Hence the Three year Contract.

• Like 10

Supporter+

@Wheelbarrow repair man

I think you may be right.

The only caveat to that would be that Notts have signed him with a hope that he may establish himself in the Notts side & become a valuable member of the side with his value going up 

Trouble is, we have Palmer, Robertson, Crowley, Hinchy, Austin, Edwards, & now Grant, then the youngsters, Reynolds & Sanderson.

With Grant arriving to bolster an already crowded midfield squad, where does that leave Reynolds and Sanderson?

Will they be now loaned out by Notts? That would be dissapointing.

• Like 6

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  20
  • Days Won:  0

3 years because they believe he has potential. Loans don't increase  a player's value. So expect a good number of appearances. I think 🤔 

• Like 9

Supporter+
17 minutes ago, Mapperley Pie said:

3 years because they believe he has potential. Loans don't increase  a player's value. So expect a good number of appearances. I think 🤔 

I hope you are right. He does have lots of competition though.

• Like 5

• Content Count:  1,144
  • Days Won:  17

@Robbie

I think Both Reynolds and Sanderson will be going Down the Route of Going Out On Loan, then Notts will wait and hope that some other Club comes in and Signs them for An Undisclosed Fee. That what seems to be the Clubs Mantra Nowadays.

• Like 5

Supporter+

@Wheelbarrow repair man

Sadly you may be right. It does seem to put those young gentlemen further down the pecking order.

And of course, Conor will take time to acclimatise to Notts style and his new team mates, so I don't expect him to figure much for several weeks.

• Like 5

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  629
  • Days Won:  1

I like the signing; I think he'll be a big help if our midfield gets tired, as we’ll have options to rest players. Has anyone noticed the similarities between the MK Dons article and the one Notts released? Both mention that they’ve been tracking him for a while and praise his skills in midfield and attacking midfield in nearly the same way.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  2,294
  • Days Won:  58
  • 𝕏:  twitter ARLukomski

Conor Grant's stats last season over his spells at MK and Barnsley (also includes the 2 play-off games against Bolton)

PLD 23

Accurate passes - 287/368 (78%)

Chances created - 10 

Passes into final third - 49

Accurate long balls - 12 

Dispossessed - 19 

Tackles won - 24 

Recoveries - 36 

Ground duels won - 68/123 (55.3%)

Aerial duels won - 9/33 (27.3%)

• Like 3
  • Love 7

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,915
  • Days Won:  162

thank you for writing and sharing this @Robbie, also thanks to @ARLukomski for the stats.

i am encouraged by the signing, despite feeling a bit disappointed we lost a good attacking option in an area that made a difference when it worked. i think conor grant should shine for us if we give him the time and if he works hard. the fact we have good cover now in midfield, will make players need to work hard.

• Like 1
  • Love 6

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,000
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Good write-up, @Robbie. It's a very good idea too, as topics on who players are - along with where ex players are now. Are very formative!

I think Conor Grant has been signed to play, the 3-year deal might have been at his request. As, I think he's very keen to continue playing regularly and if he can perform well enough. I see now reason as to why he would be a great addition. His 10 minutes cameo, it's promising but I try to avoid the hype, especially that of the club because it's the player who gets the stick when performances aren't great.

I'm looking forward to watching how he grows in his role with us and hope that he can impact the team in a positive way.

• Like 2
  • Love 5

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  580
  • Days Won:  2

I have enjoyed reading this. Good insight into Conor Grant. I think young players who do well one season and get picked up by another club sometimes get lost amongst the shuffle. Good players can have their skill coached and encouraged out of them. I hope it’s the case here.

• Like 2
  • Love 3

• Content Count:  1,355
  • Days Won:  1

Conor Grant looks like a good player. I have been impressed by his impact so far and hope we can make the most of what he brings to the team. Excellent write-up, thank you for sharing @Robbie.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

• Content Count:  3,459
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

A great introduction for Conor Grant. There’s no better way to make your mark at a new club than by scoring a goal. Hopefully, this will help him settle in, and now that he’s got his first goal, I hope it boosts his confidence to make an impact in league matches.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,059
  • Days Won:  54

Yeah I liked the look of him after getting a bit of a longer look at Shrewsbury. A goal on his first start is great, should indicate he'll get into those positions and get a few similar goals over the season. He seems to have a very good first touch and is skilful enough to turn and dribble past players and he's pretty quick too. I know it's early days and we have good competition for the attacking midfield roles but I already think he's put himself in contention to start against Fleetwood.

• Like 3

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,733
  • Days Won:  27

The indication of the signings suggests Stuart Maynard sees him having an important role at the club. After his move from MK Dons, he really could do with a run in a team where he can settle and just get back to playing. I think this is another good read, so thanks again for sharing and writing it, @Robbie.

• Love 2

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  1,138
  • Days Won:  2

I hope he continues to do well. I have a feeling he’ll be on the bench tomorrow. I just have this sense that we will see someone else start in his place. This is informative; thank you for sharing it.

• Love 1