The Notts Transformation Under Stuart Maynard

Robbie

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,367
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

Stuart Maynard has certainly transformed the Notts County fortunes this season so far.

Just one defeat in eleven matches since the start of the season.

In what ways do PON members believe Notts have improved under Stuart & do you think that he can improve the team even further?

• Like 8
  • Love 3

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  11
  • Days Won:  0

Defensively we have improved leaps and bounds. The team has belief throughout and that really makes for the intake of Stuarts game plans and football philosophy. They run and play for each other, which in turn works well in both attack and defensively. Also having a squad capable of covering each other breeds confidence and maintains healthy competition. Long may it last. COYP.

• Like 2
  • Love 11

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,307
  • Days Won:  17

Maynard has certainly tightened things up at the back in his team , but whether that was his doing or something the Recruitment team recognized maybe up for Debate. I think I would come down in Maynard/s favour as the Recruitment team didn't sign any new defenders in the Last January Transfer Window. Richard Montague and his team seemed to think along the Luke Williams line of thinking and decided to leave things has they were, with almost Disastrous Results.

Like any New Coach it took time for Maynard to incorporate his playing Style into the Notts Squad and on a couple of occasions ,he seemed have the right (the away wins at Bradford and Newport(?) ) balance only for the Magpies to Struggle in matches following those excellent Results causing Fans, to Doubt if he was up to the Job. And his lack of Experience as a Full Time Coach was also a huge concern for Fans and with Notts tumbling down the League Table in the latter half of last season, the Fans worries seemed to be confirmed.

With New Defenders and Goalkeeper arriving at Meadow Lane, the overall outlook for the New Season seemed to be on the Up, however with a Poor Preseason and the Magpies still shipping Goals it looked as if the New Head Coach and his Staff hadn't learned from the Lessons of Last Season. But once the League Season began suddenly we Fans have seen a different Stuart Maynard, he seems to have Stiffened his Backbone and he's slowly starting to Stamp his Personality on His Team. And this could be why there as been an upwards turn in the Notts performances and Results. He certainly isn't the Finished Article by any means, but hopefully like his Squad of Players he will Carry on Improving and will be able to Push the Magpies forward, to at Least a Playoff Place come the Season's End.

• Like 10

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,947
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

As others have pointed out I think the defence is the main difference between last season and this one, whether it was down to Maynard or the recruitment team or a mixture of both I don’t know nor do I really care, I’m just glad that we are doing really well at the moment and long May it continue, I’m so pleased for Stuart he has certainly proved a lot of fans wrong and there are lots having to eat humble pie.

I’m hoping that Stuart (and let’s not forget his management team) can take the players from strength to strength and continue this marvellous form.

• Like 11

• Content Count:  685
  • Days Won:  1

Every manager is learning, gaining experience, and trying to improve on the job. It helps Stuart Maynard that the board is giving him a platform to succeed. Their support last season was unlike many other clubs, and it was great to see because I think it’s helped us push on this season. Defensively, you could see improvements even when he first arrived, and with the new defenders, it’s gotten even better.

He has a good squad, but he’s getting the most out of it. I like how he’s open to rotating players and doesn’t overplay anyone when it’s not needed. Some managers have favourite players or won’t drop the big earners, but Maynard has taken control of the squad. It was tough for him last season because most players were Luke Williams' signings. I’m sure they tried for Maynard, but he couldn’t change much and needed them to buy into his vision.

He’s improving, and you can see it in how we play. We’re much more consistent and better overall. Credit goes to Williams and the managers before him for building the foundation, but Maynard is doing wonders in his own way.

• Like 7
  • Love 6

Supporter+

It was a dissapointing end to last season, no one can deny that, but to give Stuart some slack he was basically stuck with the squad that he had until season's end.

But during that time I'm sure that Stuart & his coaching team identified the areas where the weaknesses were & the players that needed to be released & retained.

I would have thought that Stuart & his coaching staff would have great input on the type of players they wanted to fill the gaps where the team were weak. 

I think he got what he wanted, but then he had to gel them together into a team which I believe he's done well up to date.

I also think that he has ensured that Notts can introduce different styles of play when it's necessary.

For example, this side now has flair going forward, but can defend with grit & determination to grind out a result if required.

We have seen examples of this this season. A side looking to be successful has to be adaptable to the conditions & the opposition.

Let's hope that the great form can continue & this squad can only get better as the season progresses.

• Like 9

• Followers:  25
  • Content Count:  30,360
  • Days Won:  1,063
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Stuart Maynard has got much right so far; the transformation in our play and defending has been very promising. I think we can forget this past Saturday, against Port Vale - I think he was desperately trying to navigate a very tricky game. I don't think we had many options to really change the outcome there, so I would hope nobody takes that result or Gillingham as a means to dampen what has been a very promising transformation.

One thing, which might seem critical - I believe Maynard must demand high performance levels in every game.

Morecambe, Carlisle United and Port Vale have seen a mixture of performance. Yes, each of the games which proved to be difficult, two away from home, but I do think various things have impacted the performance. One way experienced league managers navigate these periods is by motivating their players to play at high levels.

Yet it's nothing short of promising the transformation we have seen, and whilst we have done well, there are signs at times that we do miss Macaulay Langstaff and even Aaron Nemane.

Nemane would have been someone who could have changed the outcomes against Gillingham and Port Vale, no doubt.

Yet I acknowledge we have to use what we have, whilst maintaining the same high levels and hopefully, we can continue to see the success on the pitch.

• Like 1
  • Love 9

Supporter+

Another great transformation under Stuart is that he is not afraid to give the Notts Academy youngsters an opportunity to shine.

There were 10 Academy players in the squad against Northampton with 3 in the first 11, & there were 6 youngsters in the team all at once towards the end of the game

I don't think it will be long before we see a few of them get on the bench for a league game.

• Like 8

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,947
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I agree @Robbie it’s great to see home grown players playing a part in games on the downside it’s pretty certain if they do well we won’t have them for long because they’ll be poached.

• Like 6

• Content Count:  175

I think Stuart Maynard has done well with what he has control over. However, the early injuries and the squad's size have been difficult for us. The performances were improving steadily early on, but since Gillingham, they've been inconsistent. It's a good test of his ability to see how he manages to regain form.

I'm not expecting Notts to win the league, but losing home games, inconsistent performances, and injuries are real tests for him. Losing Jodi Jones is out of his control, but Kellan Gordon should help fill that void. He needs to talk to the owners in January and encourage them to add more depth. A striker would help a lot, but how we rotate, bring in players, and pick up vital points will determine the transition's success.

Early signs were promising, but if teams see we struggle with absences or if we get more injuries, it could be costly.

• Like 10

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,516
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

I was hesitant to reply to this, as we’ve heard about the manager of the month award having a curse. I really think this topic has jinxed us. We were looking so strong, but then things took a turn for the worse. People started saying that Stuart Maynard was under pressure, even though we were third in the league table.

The change we’ve seen is incredible. It’s impressive how much we’ve improved, and despite the challenges, we are managing them and finding solutions. I see no reason to doubt Maynard now. I believe he has earned our full support, and I am encouraged by both his progress and that of the team.

• Love 7

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  634
  • Days Won:  2

Maynard's impact on Notts' defence can't be understated. His strategies have brought a sense of stability that was much needed. Let's hope the upward trajectory continues!

• Like 6

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,785
  • Days Won:  27

Stuart Maynard has done remarkably well, and it's important to praise the owners for standing by him and providing a strong platform for his success. This shows their strong belief in his abilities. The recruitment this summer has been excellent, and we now have a squad that fights and defends much better than in previous seasons. Maynard is thriving with this support, and his tactical knowledge is becoming clearer as he grows more comfortable in his role. I am very pleased, as it reflects the hard work throughout the club and the brilliant effort our head coach puts in.

• Like 1
  • Love 5

• Content Count:  107

The turnaround under Stuart Maynard has been remarkable. His emphasis on defensive solidity has undoubtedly been a game-changer. Considering the challenges last season, with the lack of squad flexibility, Maynard has worked wonders with limited resources. It's evident that he's fostering a culture of resilience and teamwork, which brings out the best in the players. Those early hiccups were always going to be there, but his learning curve has been steep and impressive.

Furthermore, Maynard's willingness to engage with academy prospects and integrate them shows foresight. Encouraging young talents not only bolsters team morale but also strengthens the club's identity. It's exciting to witness how he has seamlessly blended tactical acumen with player management skills. As the season unfolds, it will be crucial for him to maintain this momentum and ensure the team remains adaptable to ever-emerging challenges. There's a sense of optimism now that wasn’t there before, and that's a testament to his leadership.

• Love 6

• Content Count:  1,133

Injuries have been a dampener, but Maynard's approach in managing the squad depth is commendable. Adding a striker could be the key in January.

• Like 5

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,512
  • Days Won:  15

It’s good to see him performing well. I always believed he could come good. Last season, the critics said we would be in the relegation zone, and I do wonder if their energy could be better spent encouraging the team.

It’s disappointing that some people wanted them to fail. He is a good coach, and all they needed was time. The squad has improved since last season, which is a massive positive. I think the club made the right choice by standing by him, and the transition after Luke Williams’ departure has been quite smooth now that he has his own players.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  1,167
  • Days Won:  3

Maynard's done wonders with the squad rotation. His willingness to use different players highlights his adaptability and foresight.

• Like 4

• Content Count:  910

Defensive stability has been the cornerstone of Maynard's approach, and one can't help but feel optimistic about the club's trajectory under his guidance. His vision for integrating young and veteran talents alike has paid dividends. It’s always a challenge when new management comes in, but the players seem to have responded positively. The ability to adapt to different formations and keep opponents guessing has been thrilling to watch. We have a style that’s both solid and dynamic. As long as Maynard continues this approach, there's every chance we'll be pushing for those playoff spots. Stability, adaptability, and a keen eye for talent make him a manager to watch in the coming seasons.

• Love 3

• Content Count:  702

One thing I’ve particularly noticed about Stuart Maynard’s tenure is the sense of unity within the squad. The players seem more cohesive, and there's a noticeable uptick in morale. Each match feels like a fresh opportunity, and the boys are genuinely playing for each other. It's a stark contrast to the disarray from last season. Maynard's tactical flexibility, especially with our backline, has brought a real sense of assurance. I believe he's creating a solid blueprint that will serve us well in the long run. And it's not just about this season; Maynard seems focused on laying the groundwork for sustained success. It's been a pleasure seeing this transformation unfold, and there's hope for even more improvements.

• Love 2

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  300
  • Days Won:  1

Stuart Maynard has shown significant growth in his management style. Initially met with scepticism, his strategic decisions have proved pivotal in transforming the team’s dynamics. By focusing on building a robust defence and fostering squad depth, he’s created a foundation for sustainable success. The ability to adapt and introduce different styles of play, depending on opponents, shows he's learning quickly. Maynard's management of young talents, alongside veteran players, paints a promising picture for the club's future. It's this balance of innovation and tradition that’s making a real difference on the pitch.

• Love 1