Early assessment of Alan Hardy

AmericanPie

I watched the interview Alan did with BBC Nottingham. He comes across as sincere and refreshingly straightforward.

His Twitter account does come across slightly different, more down to earth and with it. Yet I do not like seeing our chairman swear, he should also try harder to understand views different to his own. I have nothing against him using Twitter as a platform form to exchange his views, considering his honest approach it is good to see but to a degree him revealing the signings and posing in pictures is a PR disaster waiting to happen. Am I the only one who believes this should be all handled through the clubs official channels?

I am aware that some have been calling for him to stop this, even going as far to suggest he should leave Twitter. I am not one of these fans but I would like to see him conduct himself in the same manner as he would in interviews or meetings. The openness I Praise, the fun and charismatic is a welcome change but the very trivial things I hope he cuts out.

I post this to discuss, not to be negative or picky.

@AmericanPie The guy knows how to handle an interview, anyone would thinks he's completed a course on it haha! As for his twitter it's just down to personal opinions I guess, if someone abuses him and he swears at them don't abuse him, it may come across a little on the unprofessional side but it is his personal twitter page. As long as he isn't like that clown across the trent, pays our bills and keeps this club alive he can post what he likes as far as I'm concerned. He's actions definitely match his words.

My personal view is that nobody connnected with professional sport or politics should use social media. Not because of what they might say on it, but because to the increase in hate that these media cause.

The problem is the law. A newspaper editor would rightly be held legally accoutnable thrpoough the libel courts if he or she published the sort of thing that facebook and twitter encourage. In my view facebook and twitter should hold the same legal responsibility as newspapers do. If this was the case then they would become platforms for information, discussion and argument (in its real sense). In the meantime I hope AH will come off it - it will end badly for him however careful he is.

I agree with @AmericanPie here. Alan Hardy is very charismatic and is good at handling the media. It's easy to warm to him. On the other hand, the pictures of him posing with the new signings made me uneasy. Kevin Nolan is responsible for the team and he should be the one in those photos. There was a phase where the previous chairman got a bit too giddy and involved with the team. I hope this mistake isn't being repeated.

The Twitter is difficult too. We all saw where Ray Trew's social media activities led. Even if Alan Hardy stopped writing about Notts matters on Twitter, every single statement he makes will be put under the microscope.

I think Hardy's just enjoying what he's doing, much of his approach for me is about trying to spread optimism and passion.

It's good he's answering questions via Twitter, this gives fans the chance to have their say and for the club to communicate back. Eventually there may be times where things aren't as straightforward (or are just negative), he must adapt to this. Right now it's early days, I don't think the vibe would have change so much without much of what he's doing. That said, I think the official channels are where signings should be announced.

I'm not bothered if he poses with the players, acts flamboyant or anything like that.

For me, I just want to see Notts lifted and for all to enjoying the club. I do worry that this good feel factor will burst once trolls and idiots have their way. There was a point made earlier by John Thompson that there will be difficult spells and Twitter is one of those places that attracts it.

Alan Hardy is a real breath of fresh air for Notts and his enthusiasm and never say die attitude is to be applauded.He has done so much in such a short time already and is returning a positivity back with the Notts faithful. However I have to agree with much of the above comments.When Mel Morris became chairman of my team he was very open and upfront but left himself open to ridicule with some of his comments when things didn't go exactly to plan.He seems to have learned from his mistakes and has taken more of a back seat now.I hope Mr Hardy has a thick skin and is prepared for the inevitable moaning and negative sniping that will be directed at him by some fans(every club has them) if there is no significant consistent and sustainable  improvement at Meadow  Lane.I have a feeling though, that the 'feelgood factor' will, this time, continue long after the honeymoon period is over.I truly hope so and wish him ,KN ,the players and all Notts fans all the best of luck in this new era.:thumbsup::super::sheep:.

Agree with much of the above in particular @notts-joe  comments resonate well with mine , and thanks to @super_ram for those well balanced points and encouragement , my view is big Al is a fan and is massively excited about the future and what he and his team on and off the pitch are doing , maybe it's a time of adjustment from fan to owner , and with a passage of time things may calm down , I think he is a vibrant personality and a complete breath of fresh air . Communication is a two way street and we all make mistakes , when they happen move on , least said sooner fixed my parents used to say , I know that's difficult though when in the public gaze and some are ready to be nasty .

Supporter+

The next 4 months are crucial to the future of Notts. Relegation to the Conference would be a massive disaster, the biggest disaster in the history of the club and that's saying something! AH has steadied the ship and now KN must guide the ship safely to shore. 

i think alan is playing with fire, there are fans who enjoy seeing notts fail and i think that forest fans have been winding him up on twitter. the whole deal to get them to come across here was a nice gesture but loyalty is not that easy to buy. the tweet that prompted him to make the offer as been deleted by the forest fan. why if he was being serious?

theres going to be more bait thrown at him and i do not really read is twitter so i cannot comment properly.

yet seeing some of @ohstanleyaborah posts, he seems to care and those are the type people like to target. i wish him well and would support his decisions provided he treats all fans fairly.

It is nice to have an open chairman, but he does need to rein in his usage of Social Media a little as it is getting a bit of overkill at the moment and nearly all the news appears to be coming from him rather than the Official club page. By all means use it, but let the announcements come out officially from the club first and then comment on them.

15 hours ago, Fozzy said:

It is nice to have an open chairman, but he does need to rein in his usage of Social Media a little as it is getting a bit of overkill at the moment and nearly all the news appears to be coming from him rather than the Official club page. By all means use it, but let the announcements come out officially from the club first and then comment on them.

I believe Alan Hardy is putting more effort into Notts than any of or last chairman's (going as far back as Derek Pavis).

There was a time when my grandfather spoke about how fans didn't like him, as a youngster - I couldn't understand why and to be perfectly honest I think Derek Pavis was one of the better people to lead this clubs. Meadow Lane is a fantastic stadium, it may have been paid by selling the wrong club but sometimes that ambition is required. Hardy is trying hard, I would echo many of the above comments.

Personally I just want to see better times for Notts and I do feel if we give our utmost support to the new era it will happen.

Sometimes life is only what you can make of it, plenty of people want to knock you down but Alan Hardy needs to filter out the time wasters and become accustom to those with or without the merit. Right now everyone will want to be his friend, yet those who will remain in the trough times are those who can truly help.

I would love to get excited about this but I can't help but remember our past. So much  promise the last time ... so what I'm trying to say is I need more time before I make a assessment of him... I know the question is early assessment but I can't not at the moment..:. I hope he proves me wrong and I should of been excited early on but we will have to wait and see.   Out of intrest I can't be the only one feeling this way??

Archived