Match Discussion: Game 28 - Red Imps (A)

PON_News

Game 28 - Red Imps (A)

Team: Lincoln City

Date: 13/01/18

Where: Sincil Bank

What line-up should Kevin Nolan opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

Initially, I thought this would be a really hard game as they have been on a good run and also gave us a bit of a runaround for the first half hour earlier in the season. Having just had a look at their results, the only top ten sides they have beat are Swindon, when they couldn't buy a win a home and Accrington the other week. Does this mean that they are in a false position?

I think home advantage will count for a lot with their backing and Leigh Curtis tweeted that a new signing is expected before the game for them, so I think a draw would be a good result. I'm just hoping that all this furore over Grant and Yates going back doesn't materialise and we can go about our business uninterrupted for the rest of the season. 

1-1 Grant with a 92nd minute equaliser!!

Lincoln City don't really impress me.

I think they're pretty average, or just beneath average. On the day everything changes though - they will want to win on home soil. It's just a case of ensuring none of this recent news causes any sort of a distraction. I think we'll be a good position to claim a point or a win, it's very hard to imagine us bottling the game like we did against Mansfield. We need to be prepared and to treat the game as a bigger match, especially if we have learned anything about the game against the Stags at Field Mill.

Right I’m a lincoln fan so I want to give my perspective on this match. This match could easily have Notts county smash is but it could be the other way around aswell. Notts are obviously doing better than us, and you are favourites, but the matts (green and rhead) are bang in form, we’ve just resigned Lee Frecklington and we’ve got the usual suspects aswell (Woodyard, eardley And vickers). I’m unsure about the defence though because the feeling is we’re going to sign James Wilson tomorrow and play him alongside Bostwick at cb, which are both players who haven’t played in the back 4 this season. Harry Anderson is suspended and there won’t be any MMA this time around as Billy Knott is no longer a lincoln player. On the other hand you’ve obviously lost Jorge Grant. My score prediction: 5-3, don’t know who to though

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AndersonforOlympics said:

On the other hand you’ve obviously lost Jorge Grant

Do you mean Ryan Yates? So far Jorge Grant is still here.

I can't see more than 3 goals being scored, I think it will end up being 1-2 to Notts myself. The new arrivals will make it interesting for both clubs, as this will probably impact the tactics.

14 hours ago, AndersonforOlympics said:

My score prediction: 5-3, don’t know who to though

Now that takes me back! That was a brilliant game, Notts cruising at 3-0, then Lincoln bring on some long haired youth who transformed them and they got the game back to 3-3, just for us to get the next two.

Great day, great season.

• Like 1

I'm pleased with the draw.

I do feel we need to learn to control games away from home and maintain leads better, but obviously I would take the point any day of the week. It sounded like a typical derby game really - these are usually always close fought games and really I wasn't far off with my goal amount or score prediction.

Hopefully Virtue can become a key player for us in midfield, a few fans who I have asked praised him.

Yet it sounds like we bypassed a lot of play by hoofing it.

On 12/01/2018 at 13:13, Chris said:

Do you mean Ryan Yates? So far Jorge Grant is still here.

I can't see more than 3 goals being scored, I think it will end up being 1-2 to Notts myself. The new arrivals will make it interesting for both clubs, as this will probably impact the tactics.

Aha yes, I still thought it was grant until i saw your team sheet. If you put county in red and white there wouldn’t be much difference, I thought both sides played the same brand of football and were equal in quality, if not we edged it slightly. We were incredibly unlucky to only get a point, but we only got one point because of a mixture of dreadful refereeing and not taking our chances. We had two great chances after getting our second and just before half time rheady was brought down in the box. Then there was the disallowed goal which I’m pretty sure your defenders took out each other which was really frustrating. Basically if your the 2nd best team in the league I think we’re the third.

one thing that has annoyed me is if that’s how you play every match, then I don’t understand how we’re the hoof ball team of the league, when you were More hoof ball than us. Of course it’s possible it’s a one off but you played horrible football on sat

12 hours ago, AndersonforOlympics said:

one thing that has annoyed me is if that’s how you play every match

Last Saturday sounded especially bad, yet we don't always hoof the ball - I think it's a confidence thing with Notts.

However, Kevin Nolan insists we don't play this way (which amuses most people) - when we can play the ball on the ground we are actually a very good passing team. I just don't think we have the strikers to play this way successfully all the time, if we looked at the better performances, I think the majority of goals come from the midfield.

That said, I don't think we should be compared to Forest. We aren't that bad! :lol: