Notts County to continue with matchday programmes

PON_News

Alan Hardy has confirmed Notts County will still be producing matchday programmes next season, following the EFL ruling that made them optional instead of compulsory as it has been for donkey's years.

However, he admits that it all depends on how much demand there is and how many fans buy them, as he will be producing them at a huge loss.

Will you still be buying them for the sake of tradition / having mementos, or is it just not the done thing now?

I like the idea of them, they just seem a waste of money.

The club should look to print a pocket sized issue, these was ever so popular and when the format changed, along the paper quality reduced - fans often complained to me. I haven't purchased one myself for awhile, the quality of paper seemed horrible but I must be clear I haven't under the new regime so things may be better.

I buy one randomly, sometimes I just pick one up because I see a seller but there are less and less of them around the ground these days. I hate going into the club shop, part of me thinks more would buy them if they issued them on the turnstiles too.

On 28/07/2018 at 17:09, KingKev said:

Can you still buy digital copies?

I don't think so, on occasions I used to buy one via the Football League app but I have not seen it for awhile.

It would be a crying shame to see programmes become a thing of the past, I would have thought a lower price and better quality would attract buyers. Availability is key but putting them on the turnstiles could cause a nuisance.

I'm glad they're continuing, but like most people I don't usually take a programme any more.

Firstly, they're too big, too expensive, too glossy. I don't need a 70-page magazine to tell me about stuff I've been following all week and has been reported elsewhere anyway. A smaller programme with a couple of interesting columns and a few reports on what's going on in the youth setup and behind the scenes would be enough. In years gone by you had the local rag and that was about it. Nowadays you can read about and discuss Notts online every day if you want. With today's media, programmes offer little that is new.

The second problem is that people are getting out of the habit of collecting things. Today's programmes are less collectable than 20 years ago anyway because they're so big. But in the past it was normal to collect programmes as a memento, like you would records or DVDs. But now young people don't own stacks of records and DVDs, their collections are tucked away in their computers or they use streaming. So the idea of them collecting stacks of programmes as a memento might seem like a curious and out-of-date thing that their parents once did.

If our matchday programme is to succeed in the future, it needs to be smaller, cheaper and contain plenty of interesting and unique content that you can't just find elsewhere.

Archived