The derby

ARLukomski

It's funny how things work out

Notts didn't lose a league game against Mansfield between 1964 and 2002 (38 years)

Now Notts haven't won a Nottinghamshire derby in 13 years 

Mansfield hadn't won a league game at Meadow Lane for 47 years 

Now Notts haven't beaten them at the Lane for 20 years 

This'll be the first time since Notts returned to League 2, that Mansfield will have the better form going into a derby at Field Mill

Also, due to Notts' recent woes against them, it means they have the better head to head record overall

We were 10 seconds away from beating them in January

I don't think it'll be on Saturday but surely our fortunes have got to change in this fixture soon

To be honest I think as much as I hate them Mansfield have assembled a much better squad than ours. All be it their main target is a loan player but then again so was ours last year. Tyler Walker will cause our slow and weak defence all sorts of issues. I went to the game where Forest beat QPR 4-0 I think it was and he scored a brace and ran the show up top. He also now moves into the Top 3 goalscorers in this league I believe. Danger man.

Danny Rose and CJ Hamilton will also be huge threats and I just don't think our defence will be able to cope with the onslaught of their attack.

Our record is woeful against Stags at the moment and it would be nice to beat them on Saturday.

It won't all be doom and gloom for our defence though. If both Dennis and Hemmings are fit, we all know the quality that these two can bring so if played together I think Mansfield will have a few problems of their own. This won't be an easy game for Stags but they definitely have the edge going into the fixture. 

I just hope they don't equalise late like they did against us last year and just recently against Lincoln if we were to lead for 85+ minutes.

We probably never really played them that often at all between 1970 and 2002, but that's no excuse. It's just another depressing sign of our decline really. During that time we were too big for the fourth division, this season we'll be happy to stay in it.

A really jammy win against Mansfield would be just what the doctor ordered, but I'm not holding my breath.

16 hours ago, ARLukomski said:

I don't think it'll be on Saturday but surely our fortunes have got to change in this fixture soon

I can't see it changing this season and it might not change for a very long time to come if we're not careful as there may be two divisions between us. Can definitely see them going up this season as Radford will back them in January, even if Forest take back Walker, they have a knack of finding a decent replacement.

With all this negative stats and what makes you feel naturally like 'what can Notts do different now?'.

I have a feeling we could sneak a win. The pressure is on them but it depends on Notts, you just know if the stats was in favour of Notts that Mansfield would win if we switched places.

As a club at this time Mansfield are poles ahead of us, just because they are our rivals it doesn't bother me saying that, I like to see clubs well run and that's exactly what they are......doesnt mean we can't turn them over on Saturday though, but we'll need to be near our best (with Steady and Kane back)  and the Stags having an off day.

You know what they say records are made to be broken ... For me it all depends if Neal can have any impact before the game on Saturday in terms of league place yes they are above us but hopefully against them we can start the come back. Past records are not in our favour but you never know 

15 minutes ago, Magic magpie said:

You know what they say records are made to be broken ... For me it all depends if Neal can have any impact before the game on Saturday in terms of league place yes they are above us but hopefully against them we can start the come back. Past records are not in our favour but you never know 

We will have to wait and see.

39 minutes ago, DangerousSausage said:

But we might actually win. And then it would be ace.

It's the hope that drives you mad!

Unlucky IF Mansfield play well, they will run Notts into the ground and make it frustrating.

A few red cards would not surprise me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived