how does notts improve the away form?

liampie

how does notts improve the away form?

its obvious that the away form this season has been shocking, it seems the players cant perform away from home and i wonder why. the squad can play well at home but it seems more of a task to perform on the road. one or two goals seems to be a enough to sink the confidence of the camp and then there is little fight.

what can neal ardley do to improve this? do we need an away team/formation?

I actually don't know.

This has been a big problem every year at the club, no matter the owner or manager.

When we are away from home, we look scared. We look petrified. We are so worried about conceding. It shouldn't be ridiculously difficult to perform at an away game.

Like come on. Grimsby, Bury, Newport, MK, Vale, Morecambe, Exeter. They're not places you go to and think "Crikey, the home fans are going to create a hostile atmosphere." We're not going to play Millwall every week but it seems the players think that we are.

I've said for a bit now but there is a losing mentality at the club. So when things go wrong, we just give up when other clubs would fight and battle their way out of a bad patch. Look at Swindon when they came to Meadow Lane under Phil Brown this season. They were in bad form, but they battled and fought and won.

Confidence - it needs to be instilled.

In my opinion I think the players sort of fear playing away from home, as once one or two goals are conceded it's almost certainly game over. I think addressing the squad and choosing players more carefully would help, give a fringe player here and there a chance to start. If they up their performance, it might be beneficial. Consistency is a large factor too but I think this will be Neal Ardley's biggest issue.

Winning games away from Meadow Lane is very important, as I agree Notts can't rely on home wins.

Hope the powers that be get the best out of  the January transfer window and instil a winning mentality in the squad.

As the squad is now it’s a difficult one to resolve, a hard working siege mentality for me at this time is needed , but you need real combatants for that and of the current crop of players not sure enough if any are of that mentality, and mentality that’s so key , come January hopefully one or two of that nature can be added , and put a different slant on this team , COYP 

• 2 weeks later...

This could be the million dollar question, there's a lot of work to be done in the next summer and fighting relegation needs to have more of a priority at Notts. I am unsure how the form can be improved but I think it's time that Notts tries to win games ugly.

I don't care about the performances as such provided effort is applied.

4 hours ago, allardyces tash said:

Trim the squad and make the players responsible for their actions, if they cost points then bench them and work out how to get the best from them. This is a real problem for Neal Ardley and I am sure he will be scratching his head wondering how to fix it.

About right. Duffy would never make the team if this happened. Sounds good to me.

• liampie unfeatured this topic

Archived