which players and formation is key for survival?

liampie

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,937
  • Days Won:  162

which players and formation is key for survival?

i think notts should drop the 3 centre backs personally, they seem to play too deep and i fail to see how exactly it strengthens up the squad. defensively i feel we still look an easy target with set pieces and crosses, this is something which has been obvious all season but the same mistakes keep happening. i would go back to 4-4-2 myself.

then have it so one of the mids probably o'brien drop to support a 4-1-3-2 with him acting as an anchor for the back four.

jon stead, enzio boldewijn, matt tootle, david vaughan are all players i think are important for survival, its just how to get the most out of them. if kane hemmings is out for the season this would be a big blow but i do feel nathan thomas [if instructed well] could be a useful tool. he just needs to stop going for goal himself or wasting chances, just smarter play from him.

what about you?

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  1,470
  • Days Won:  5

The only players I feel can help are Stead, Dennis, Boldewijn and Hemmings.

Defensively I don't think any will have a positive fight.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,144
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Formation wise this season nothings been perfect, all have advantages and disadvantages.

I think in a relegation battle sometimes you need to be more structured but in a way that balance the squad through the attack to the defence. I'm not the biggest fan of playing three cb's and wing backs. However, it could work. I just feel it kills the creativity in midfield and limits the offence. I don't think the formation will be a big success with this squad or at least this season, I would hope that 4-4-2 could work with someone properly supporting Jon Stead.

Player wise, everyone has a role to play.

I think Ryan Schofield has a big role to play, I just feel that Ross Fitzsimons needs a break - signing a keeper was a huge priority to improve the back.

If Richard Duffy is going to remain at the club, he needs to be more hands on and more responsible. I wouldn't trust him to watch my children, let alone lead the back. He could be far more useful but the issue is how he hides and makes silly mistakes.

Jon Stead in form has goals in him, regardless of what people think about his age.

If he was properly supported this would make a huge difference, yet the recent formation seems to force people to cover for others and nobody is really attacking. I think David Vaughan could improve a lot, however he needs to play week in-and-out in my opinion and I don't see this happening. Jim O'Brien could impact the squad from a defensive point of view. Enzio Boldewijn could also be a key player, problem is we need 6-7 of the players to be working hard and playing well.

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  688
  • Days Won:  0

Neal Ardley will be wondering this himself, I don't think the current formation is setup to be successful. It seems more a short term system to help the club to not concede s easily.

Anyone's guess is better than mine.

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  6,696
  • Days Won:  43

Right now for me Schofield and stead and as I feel Schofield would be better than Ross at this minute in time because has confidence must be low and that’s bad. Stead because he needs to lead and convert the chances. Enzio as well is key to survival but that’s if (I hope he don’t get re injured) also Jim O’Brien because he has the experience to handle and motorboats players around him. Also Neal he like Jim is exspirenced he as completes the great escape with Wimbledon so that is key. They need to get a win and get the confidence quick because time is ticking if they do that they pass with confidence and look like a team that knows what it has to do. We need to stop the leaking defence.

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,734
  • Days Won:  27

18 minutes ago, faz1961 said:

Patching. Osborne. Crawford Betts from reserves for a start

Osborne looks to be someone wanting to gain exposure to the first team, worth giving him a go IMO.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  474
  • Days Won:  6
  • 𝕏:  twitter OldNottsfan

Schofield, O’Brien, a good centre half,  a proper midfielder and a target man and if we get one, Dennis could do a service if we play to his strengths (and his strengths aren’t high balls from the back)

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,807
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

I am surprised no one has touched on where another major deficiency this season has been Right Back. If one analyses where a lot of goals conceded, it has  been through this channel... In some ways, the movement to 3 centre halfs has been the answer to combat this issue

I despair on what @Truefootballfansays...we sign a centre half in Barclay...yet the need is still identified for "a good centre half"

1 hour ago, Truefootballfan said:

Schofield, O’Brien, a good centre half,  a proper midfielder and a target man and if we get one, Dennis could do a service if we play to his strengths (and his strengths aren’t high balls from the back)

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  743
  • Days Won:  2

4 hours ago, Piethagoram said:

I am surprised no one has touched on where another major deficiency this season has been Right Back. If one analyses where a lot of goals conceded, it has  been through this channel... In some ways, the movement to 3 centre halfs has been the answer to combat this issue

I despair on what @Truefootballfansays...we sign a centre half in Barclay...yet the need is still identified for "a good centre half"

The club needed an experienced mature head, they opted for young legs.

I hope Barclay can prove himself but I am not 100% certain he is the type of player able to do this.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,655
  • Days Won:  89

Schofield from his one game, O’Brien, Enzio if fit, Alessandra if fit, Hemmings if fit, Bird........Stead maybe?

The rest are place fillers and/or garbage.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  922
  • Days Won:  9

3-5-2

Schofield / Bird - Duffy - Brisley / Thomas - O'Brien (c) - Vaughan - Hewitt - Boldewijn / Hemmings - Dennis

This is assuming all are fit. I chose Thomas in Left Midfield because although his heart doesn't seem in it. There is no real replacement for him in that position, he has pace and a rocket of a left foot but has just struggled to find the target. I would put Kellett LM but he seemed to excel against Bury in the CAM midfield role. I do prefer Kellett overall however I think with an attacking setup Thomas would be more suited.

The quick and luxury players can't interact with Stead very well. Stead has struggled to get into games recently and hasn't been hitting the target. I've not seen him score many from open play in a Notts shirt to be honest.

A midifield of O'Brien, Vaughan and Hewitt provides a good mix. Hewitt although I strongly dislike him looks like Modric compared to Milsom. Milsom is a tired footballer and it seems to me that his legs and desire have gone for the game. Hewitt provides some competition in the air for aerial battles. Vaughan is a lovely passer of the ball and can provide some real cutting edge passes. Over recent week looks like a tackler too. O'Brien is a leader simple, he can work well with Vaughan and both have experience. A real ball winner.

We bought Hemmings and Dennis for 100K each but have yet to have a run of games together up top. I understand Hemmings is injured but this HAS TO be the partnership up front when fit. These types of players thrive off players like O'Brien and Vaughan. Vaughan has the ability to pass a ball 50yds to feet or find through balls that players like Jon Stead just can't reach. I love the bloke but at a similar time to last year where he was looking to get dropped from KN's side I think his legs are getting tired. Struggles to make an impact most weeks now and these are minutes Etete or Remaye Campbell could join the fight and actually try and make an impact.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  18,303
  • Days Won:  28

This season formations haven't been so simple but at the start of the season some players were overplayed leading to injuries and low fitness levels. 

I would say keep on dennis, hemmings, vaughan and Boldewijn.

Archived