Is Notts building something special under the Reedtz brothers?

RetroPie

I think the majority of fans had hopes that Notts would be building foundations underneath the new owners, it's nice that they've only spoken when needed and, otherwise left things to the staff to do.

I think you can get too involved in football and, that's a dangerous line to cross.

Notts are trying to change the clubs image, Neal Ardley has formed a decent side which in a few years should only get better and better. If Ardley remains as the manager by that point, it would reinforce that the clubs pushing towards building something special. I feel the clubs in a good position to move forward. I can't say how pleased I am that we're no longer being dragged through the headlines. Having Meadow Lane appear like a comedy club or circus, just this alone must be satisfying to the players and staff. When a club has that much internal problems, it's only going to end up one way.

To solve years of problems, which stems back easily to the late 80s.

It's going to take hard work, years of improvements and, some patience on our part.

It's hard to say.

If we are honest with ourselves, our club has been in decline for years, if not decades, as alluded to by Chris above. Even temporary up-turns haven't been as a result of a well run club, more splashing cash (Munto and in parts, Ray Trew and even Alan Hardy). It's only ever been temporary though, and the overall trend is downwards. 

When you're coming off the back of such a lengthy period of decline and neglect, in what position are we to judge 'special'? Is special for us no mental breakdowns on twitter, not trying to sell the club after the funds are dry, no talk of administration, no relegation? My point is: how do you know if the car you're driving is the equivalent to a Vauxhall Astra or a Ferrari, when you've only ever driven a Fiat Panda? 

My thoughts have always been that if you are solid and progressive off the pitch, then eventually the performance on the pitch will follow suit. The eventually is the key point though, football fans, and especially Notts fans I would say, are not so patient. The improvements recently, including from AH investing in the infrastructure, changing rooms, family stand, the pitch, the state of the ground in general, gyms, artificial pitch, has been a massive improvement from recent times where we 'made do' with what he had. Our ground was decaying and out pitch was a mud bath, but all that has been rectified. Combine this with the improvements the Reedtz brothers have made; professionalism, scouting network, data analytics, plus further investment (with aid of lifeline etc...) for things like the scoreboard. You can even point to things like our streaming coverage, which is excellent.

The most impressive thing about the owners is that there seems to be a plan, for the short-term, mid-term and probably long-term. This direction gives meaning, it also give me hope. Hope that if not this season, then maybe next season, we will be back in the FL. 

In answer to the thread title I hope so, but I'm not convinced.  I'm old school, so I find it hard to see a successive top 7 finish in the National league as a positive.  To me it's an absolute minimum, bordering on failure.  I can't find any reason to criticise the owners, but I will never be satisfied that we made the playoffs in this division.

It does take time to build something which has everything in the right place to have success, we can't expect to buy ourselves out of this league, anyone who knows the National League wouldn't expect this at all.

At this stage, the Reedtz brothers do seem to be doing everything right.

Nobody will be able to fault with them as they've done what has been asked and what they have promised.

Our signings have been decent so far, any team with top recruitment will expect a flop or two. Mansfield had many and, I literally mean 'many' as they attempted to pay their way out of the national league. What I do feel is worth pointing out, we seem to be building on the spine of the squad signed by Neal Ardley. At the end of this season, we will most likely have a handful of players who we feel the club can improve further without.

What remains should be a decent enough squad to re-push for promotion, or survive in League Two (if promotion is gained this term).

Success can be weighed up in various ways, but to mention something @Elite_pie wrote (and I'm just adding my opinion). It's not very old school to think a team should be gaining promotion, that is a modern aspect of the game in my opinion. What does seem to be old school, is having a marker whereby a true reflection of the clubs' development can be seen, when Notts finally does re-gain their Football League status.

Our budget, structure and size will be used to eventually demand promotion once again.

This isn't how football works in the real world, at least not for the majority of football clubs [neither in my mind].

Promotion will be earned when its fully deserved and the club is ready, the correct structure will see a club with the right mentality pushing forwards in the future. Using setbacks as a means to improve, using that established core to flourish and want to succeed.

For me, until we are able to avoid re-signing a complete squad every season nobody should judge finances or size as a means to expect promotion.

It's like a Manchester United fan believing their club is still capible of winning the Champions League or demanding that they should be in it.

To be challenging for promotion shows positive signs, the most important being that we have a squad that is capable of playing well enough to be in the mix for promotion. Last season, Notts lost to a better side and it could be said it was unlucky not to have the 12th man advantage if fans was able to attend. That could've lifted the players spirits but I do feel pleased to see the club heading in the right direction. No gambles, just a steady plan and a natural progression.

Supporter+

The ship has been steadied and things are certainly better off the pitch. Notts are underachieving on the pitch IMO. Take Dover away which we lost because we weren't brave enough to push forward and go the win. We got punished. We weren't brave enough at home to Hartlepool in the first half. We got punished. I don't think we learn from our mistakes. That's not progression. 

The job of the owners is to provide a stable financial foundation, put everything in place and provide a strategic direction for the rest of the club to follow. They need to make sure we have the right non-playing staff and let them do their jobs.

So far they seem to have the right approach. Their quiet way of going about their business is in marked contrast to the previous owners.

But football is cruel. You can do absolutely everything right, but if you lack that little bit of luck it can all count for nothing. Logically, everything that has been put in place should reap its rewards, but with only one automatic promotion spot between 24 teams, this league is really hard to get out of. As I've pointed out before, you can get 97 points and come away empty-handed. If we do manage to go up I can see us really kicking on, but so much is dependent on passing through the eye of a needle and getting back into the Football League.

I can't believe some fans are starting to complain about the owners for the club not signing a striker, it's Neal Ardley who controls the signings and our budget is already stretched most likely.

Progression is happening, the club is doing things in the right way and others would complain if it was rushed.

Nobody can win with a game like football.

I do feel the signs are more positive right now, the recruitment is acceptable, we have players with some resale value and the team is capable of gaining promotion in my opinion. Does anyone know how other teams did within their first two seasons in this league? You have to compare how difficult things are, not just the money.

everyone sees it in their own way but i do feel more notts fans need to be more supportive, rather than quick to call out negatives.

we are on the crisp of something very promising.

i think when we are a happy camp, it gives the club and players confidence. pressure to win the league is not realistic, not with only one team going up automatically. i would rather accept a few years of strong building and preparing for life above this, than to rush and fall back down.

I know it’s early days but since the Reedtz Brothers took over I can’t really see anything to complain about.

I get the feeling they want to give the club an identity, they’ve spoken about how they want the team to be an attractive, attacking side. I think the constant changes of philosophies has caused us so many problems these last years, we’ve turned over too many players because they don’t fit a manager’s style of play. I get the feeling now even if a manger goes, it won’t be a case of tearing everything up and starting again, just a couple of subtle changes.

The recruitment has also been a massive issue for Notts for yonks. Now it's the 'Football Radar' approach and so far so good. We’re lucky to be in the position that the Reedtz brothers are budgeting for transfers - but gone are the massive price tags. Now when we’re buying players – we’re looking at younger promising players in the knowledge that they’ll effectively become a massive asset for us.

The only blow is that Brexit will affect the recruitment plans going forward, there’s no-way we’d be able to sign Rodrigues or Sam now. It’s very likely that any player we look at now that isn’t British won’t meet the new points-based threshold.

No doubt the owners want to take us forward but it’s a different approach with a measured plan. They recognise the challenges and aren’t putting the stupid “5 year timeline” in place. They are trying to build something here and I’m quietly confident with these two at the helm we’ll be in much better place than when they bought us.

Supporter+
On 03/01/2021 at 16:43, Joshua said:

I can't believe some fans are starting to complain about the owners for the club not signing a striker, it's Neal Ardley who controls the signings and our budget is already stretched most likely.

Progression is happening, the club is doing things in the right way and others would complain if it was rushed.

Nobody can win with a game like football.

I do feel the signs are more positive right now, the recruitment is acceptable, we have players with some resale value and the team is capable of gaining promotion in my opinion. Does anyone know how other teams did within their first two seasons in this league? You have to compare how difficult things are, not just the money.

It's not the lack of strikers that's the problem, it's how NA uses them is the real issue. One up front at home is a real head scratcher, especially given the options to play 2 up front. With 2 you can close teams down and stop them playing out from the back and there's a high chance you'll win the ball back high up the pitch and with the attacking options we have, we'll score more often that not. I don't understand NA's cautious approach. I'd like to see him trying to win a game instead of trying to avoid defeat. He should have confidence in the players. 

On 05/01/2021 at 11:36, Dripsey3 said:

It's not the lack of strikers that's the problem, it's how NA uses them is the real issue. One up front at home is a real head scratcher, especially given the options to play 2 up front. With 2 you can close teams down and stop them playing out from the back and there's a high chance you'll win the ball back high up the pitch and with the attacking options we have, we'll score more often that not. I don't understand NA's cautious approach. I'd like to see him trying to win a game instead of trying to avoid defeat. He should have confidence in the players. 

4-2-3-1 isn't an overly cautious formation. Actually, some of the most thrilling, free-scoring football I've ever seen has been using that formation and I'm an absolute convert. It also suits Rodrigues and Roberts down to the ground. The idea is that the striker brings the three attacking midfielders into the game and allows them to get into goalscoring positions. If you do it right, it's very difficult to defend against.

How often do you see two strikers successfully stop the opposition passing out from the back? When it's two against four they're easy to pass around. It only works when the midfield join in. Rather than having a second striker running around after lost causes and having little impact on the game, it makes more sense to have an extra midfielder and really take control of the game.

If the club is to be successful consistency is important, just as much important as stability.

Notts are recruiting well, the squad has a lot of quality and for the most part supporting Notts is once again enjoyable. There will always be negatives when you support a club like Notts, but right now there does seem to be something special on the arisen for the club.

I think the two latest signings so far adds strength that is needed, the rest should come from playing game to game but any breaks won't help our own cause. It's not something anyone can help either really.

Archived