Doyle to act as interim coach

Piethagoram

Wait. allegedly he had a bust up with Ross and his reward is getting his job? If this rumour is true, it's bizarre. Michael Doyle shouldn't be anywhere near our squad now, as a coach maybe but I would prefer actual experience.

It was a good opportunity to turn Ian Burchill's poor start around.

I just don't think Michael Doyle resolves this issue or can offer adequate advice.

27 minutes ago, Chris said:

Wait. allegedly he had a bust up with Moss and his reward is getting his job? If this rumour is true, it's bizarre. Michael Doyle shouldn't be anywhere near our squad now, as a coach maybe but I would prefer actual experience.

It was a good opportunity to turn Ian Burchill's poor start around.

I just don't think Michael Doyle resolves this issue or can offer adequate advice.

Odd. Who would you bring in then, with a handful of games, that the boss actually wants? He needs to sit down and analyse who fits his needs - then have the discussions with the relevant people - all while playing Saturday - Tuesday?

I wouldn't have picked Doyle either - because he'll be on the pitch. Jake Keane or somebody like that would've been a more obvious choice.  Speculation on what was said by Ross and to whom and trying to use that to belittle Doyle is simply just petty. 

50 minutes ago, Super_Danny_Allsopp said:

Odd. Who would you bring in then, with a handful of games, that the boss actually wants? He needs to sit down and analyse who fits his needs - then have the discussions with the relevant people - all while playing Saturday - Tuesday?

Reading between the lines, I think it was the boards choice rather than Ian Burchnall's decision.

The latter part of your sentence, i.e the question could be applied to Michael Doyle.

If he's not going to take to the field, then okay, at least for the remaining games but if the rumours are true it still would seem bizarre. Just like Neal Ardley, I don't believe for a second he asked to have Greg Abbott as his assistant.

I'm sure there's someone out their with redeeming qualities.

When people wanted Ardley out earlier this season, I asked who people wanted and nobody could answer it. A football club as the means to compile a list of candidates, rather than handing it to someone who has a strange hold on the club itself. It to me seems more about money, rather than seeing out a few games because it took a few days to show Maurice Ross the door.

I thought even before the game that this was a sensible appointment.  Doyle is obviously a big character in the dressing room, and it could be an ideal bridge between the management and players, especially after the events of yesterday.  A good decision in my opinion.

doyle is a strong enough character but i think it will chip into his performances on the pitch, hes already starting to give away possession on a regular basis as he struggles to keep up to speed. jake kean would not be the right choice, he has to focus on the keepers.

it does make sense for the most part but if he misses games, i dont think we have the right cover at the moment.

he clearly is a big part of the current squad and his age seems to be catching up with him, especially at times but i think the club will be researching candidates for the position. whoever does come in, ian burchnall needs to be 100% happen and able to work with them.

i also think when burchnall was asked by the media in the post match interview that it was glaringly obvious that the reporter felt we lacked depth in our coaching team.

15 hours ago, Chris said:

Reading between the lines, I think it was the boards choice rather than Ian Burchnall's decision.

The latter part of your sentence, i.e the question could be applied to Michael Doyle.

If he's not going to take to the field, then okay, at least for the remaining games but if the rumours are true it still would seem bizarre. Just like Neal Ardley, I don't believe for a second he asked to have Greg Abbott as his assistant.

I'm sure there's someone out their with redeeming qualities.

When people wanted Ardley out earlier this season, I asked who people wanted and nobody could answer it. A football club as the means to compile a list of candidates, rather than handing it to someone who has a strange hold on the club itself. It to me seems more about money, rather than seeing out a few games because it took a few days to show Maurice Ross the door.

Doyle already knows the club, knows the players, knows the tactics... in that sense he fits in for a temporary replacement. Somebody new would need time both for Burchnall to analyse and recruit them, plus to settle in. We don't have that time. 

I highly doubt it's money. Given the backing the Reedtz brothers have provided, replacing about 500 injured right backs at the drop of a hat, an assistant's wage for a few weeks is so insubstantial that its not worth considering - unless we're hiring Warnock as assistant. 

Who do you think would have hired Abbott? Doesn't fit in with Reedtz .. strikes me more as an Ardley/Cox thing. 

Greg Abbott might have applied for the position himself, does he have any connections with Neal Ardley otherwise? I am not against Michael Doyle coaching, but his main focus should be how he performs on the pitch.

4 hours ago, Super_Danny_Allsopp said:

Who do you think would have hired Abbott? Doesn't fit in with Reedtz .. strikes me more as an Ardley/Cox thing. 

Cox? I doubt it. I don't think Ardley would've requested him either. I assume Abbott applied and was given the position to fill the vacant void.

Re: money I do think it's likely that the Reedtz preferred someone in-house and already on a salary at the club.

Recruit for an AM(AHC) might be ongoing behind the scenes now, but the likelihood of someone truly benefitting Burchnall would have experience behind them. It's the one thing Doyle doesn't have, fans thought he would assist Ardley before Abbott joined.

An inexperienced manager who has suffered a poor start to his English career, being assists by a person without experience at s crucial point in the league campaign.

Yeah, time isn't on either scenarios side.

Hence why it was extremely naive to sack Ardley, having Burchnall pre-lined up. It was clear the result didn't matter, but those fans against him won't call Burchnall if they're aware how clueless their argument seemed.

2 hours ago, Joshua said:

Greg Abbott might have applied for the position himself, does he have any connections with Neal Ardley otherwise?

I’m sure Neal Ardley will have known and come up against Greg Abbott but I don’t think they ever worked together. I’m sure in an interview I vaguely remember GA saying NA got in touch with him…

I always thought the manager was responsible for assembling his own back-room staff – but then again didn’t Moniz have his assistants picked for him?

As for Doyle, I’m sure IB will have a shortlist of people but obviously no-one’s immediately available to him so it’s a case who else is there? Doyle and IB will have at least got to know each other a bit over the last month or so. In my opinion, with so few games left now a total stranger, who doesn’t know Ian or the club, coming in would be pretty pointless.

I'm fine with this. Ideally the manager would have an experienced man at his side who he knows and can trust, but there are only a few weeks to go until the end of the season. Doyle doesn't have that experience, but everyone at the club knows him (so he doesn't need time to get to know the players) and he clearly has leadership qualities.

Managers don't always have the luxury of assembling their own backroom teams. Some arrive as a duo, but others take on the team that was there before. That really paid dividends in the Munto season, when the manager's office could have been fitted with a revolving door but we had a relatively long-standing coaching staff of Dave Kevan, Tommy Johnson et al. Ray Trew waxed lyrical about having a Liverpool-style boot room, until he got bored and sacked them all.

4 hours ago, Chris said:

Cox? I doubt it. I don't think Ardley would've requested him either. I assume Abbott applied and was given the position to fill the vacant void.

Re: money I do think it's likely that the Reedtz preferred someone in-house and already on a salary at the club.

The manager appoints his assistant. Finish. 

Can't understand under what logic the owners would be scrimping on assistant managers wages. They would be saving relative peanuts. If Burchnall wanted an assistant in, he would name him and he'd be in the door shortly. 

4 hours ago, menzinho said:

who doesn’t know Ian or the club, coming in would be pretty pointless.

On the other hand, it could give him adequate time to get used to the club in time for the new season - further strengthening his bond.

It's not like the role is as hands on as the managers.

They just assist, so a more knowledgeable coach at this point could be more beneficial than some think. Usually, temporary decisions like this is down to the club/manager not knowing who to get in.

It's not always best to put things off, and those who say he'll have the pre-season to settle probably don't realise it's one of the busiest periods for senior staff.

It depends on Doyle's attitude and approach to the coaching, but I do agree with others who have said that it makes sense. Right now, he will act as the best "in-between"  the manager/players. Having his unwavering I think would be the biggest sign of support. The players might be unsure of the direction he will take them in, but having Doyle as that bridge should help. I think the early signs are promising too.

At the time I weighed up the options of hiring a new assistant coach and Michael Doyle filling in the gaps.

I didn't question that he can do both roles without impacting the other, I also thought it would help bridge the gap between the manager and players. If the players start to buy Ian Burchnall's way of thinking which always does take time, I do feel Doyle deserves some credit for the support.

As to next season, if IB wants Doyle to remain then I hope he hangs up his boots.

The decision is the best of both worlds right now.

It also looks like Jake Kean is being more hands on during games, so its not like Doyle's missed on the touchline. He's needed on the pitch due to the lack of cover, although Jim O'Brien could easily come in.

Archived