Is Roy the right man to lead us?

CliftonMagpie

Should Roy Carroll be the Notts captain?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Simple poll, his he the right man for the captancy

• Yes
    • I don't think a goalkeeper should be
    • No

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,684
  • Days Won:  27

Simple poll people, is Roy the right man to lead us?

Lets see what the PON community thinks.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,793
  • Days Won:  162

i have no problem with him or a goalkeeper being the captain, i think the players will respect him and that will probably help. plus he is not afraid to dish out feedback.

its a good call for me.

• Content Count:  4,684
  • Days Won:  27

I think it should be an outfield player, I agree people will fear and respect him but for me I just do not feel it makes sense. I would rather see someone like Noble, Swerts, Bennet, Audel as the captain.

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  1,333
  • Days Won:  11

I think its a good idea. You can still get the same message across, weher in goal or in the Outfield

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,761
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Roy Carroll will do fantastically well as the captain, I believe he will think twice about saying things which he shouldn't. This may reduce him from being carded, as I he will most likely think twice because of the captains arm band.

He will be respected, not just by those who start within the first 11 - it will extend to the fans, subs, backups, coaching staff.

I think Moniz will see that our Roy has all the qualities to help us push on in the right direction. For myself, the decision is perfect and I have mentioned this within the past on the site and within our social pages. He'll do well, as he did at Stevenage.

Did anyone notice how he kept looking at his arm and tidying the arm band?

That would suggest he's paying attention to it and quite proud.

• Content Count:  5,427
  • Days Won:  287

I voted for the middle option, but was torn between the top two. I think Carroll will make a good captain, but generally I think it's a job for an outfield player as they can "circulate" more and have more of an effect.

Not sure he'll get carded less as a result @notts-joe - if he hasn't learnt to bite his lip and stop being such a wind-up merchant after 20 years as a pro, I don't think an armband will make much difference! I think at his age you just have to accept it's part of the package.

It would also suggest that Loach's chances of breaking into the first team (for the time being at least) are slim.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,319
  • Days Won:  1

I have just said this in the article that @super_ram wrote.

Roy is by far the most suitable candidate, I do feel its important that its given to someone who not only connects with the players but the fans. Its also good that the captain understands the downs and ups, so with him being with us during relegation, it might encourage him to push the players more positively.

​Good choice in my opinion.

I voted yes of course.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  149
  • Days Won:  0

He could be a very influential captain, however last season I would not have given it to him but if he keeps his head down, I see no reason why it wouldn't work out for him as the clubs captain.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,680
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I've voted no, I get that the players will respect him because of his experience etc., but my reasoning is that an outfield player is more likely to be able to influence play than a goalkeeper, plus the fact that Roy tends to be a bit hot headed and he didn't actually set a good example to the team last season.

Who knows the responsibility may calm him down a bit, I hope so.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  3,589
  • Days Won:  75

I agree with @tonyhateley tbh. The usual comment about being a goalie sat especially true, but also his decision making last year was suspect ref suspect's say the least. A great goalie, it hot headed. Hopefully this will have a positive impact on him and help his game, but I'd prefer an outfield player.

• Content Count:  49

He proved it on saturday if you guys saw, he was shouting and the ref told him to calm down, he relised he was captain and walked slowely to the ref showing his armband and they discussed the situation well. Did very well

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,761
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Not sure he'll get carded less as a result @notts-joe - if he hasn't learnt to bite his lip and stop being such a wind-up merchant after 20 years as a pro, I don't think an armband will make much difference! I think at his age you just have to accept it's part of the package.

It would also suggest that Loach's chances of breaking into the first team (for the time being at least) are slim.

I do feel it will make him think, as a result it may reduce the amount of cards he receives.

That's a valid point about it being part of what comes with having a seasoned goalkeeper like Roy Carroll, yet to lead by example you must only really receive cards when they're warranted. If he cuts down his comments, I strongly believe the only cards he will be issued are one's for wasting time or fouling players.

He seemed much calmer at Stevenage in my opinion, than the majority of games last season.

Also, I noticed how he made positive comments when people did their jobs well - Last season, he mostly kicked off at errors.

He proved it on saturday if you guys saw, he was shouting and the ref told him to calm down, he relised he was captain and walked slowely to the ref showing his armband and they discussed the situation well. Did very well

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Haha!! He did do well, I am hearing positives about him from yesterday - Not just with his saves.

• Content Count:  125

He's an all round leader on and off the pitch I think its a great choice to give him the armband

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  381

The simple answer and only thing to vote is yes! Look how he's lead so far. Perfect leader!!

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  2,894
  • Days Won:  229

He's matured into an Oliver Kahn of a figure, he has that 'mad' streak that a lot of top goalkeepers have. And for a League Two team billed as a promotion favourite and full of new players, many of them from overseas who may not be used to the roughness of the English bottom tier, he is the perfect enforcer to both inspire his teammates and to ward off the opposition rough-uppers. 100% the right choice for captain.

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,391
  • Days Won:  18

I've voted no, I get that the players will respect him because of his experience etc., but my reasoning is that an outfield player is more likely to be able to influence play than a goalkeeper, plus the fact that Roy tends to be a bit hot headed and he didn't actually set a good example to the team last season.

Who knows the responsibility may calm him down a bit, I hope so.

Influence can come from the back Tony.

The way I see it he will make sure those in front of him understand his instructions and it seems to be a defensive decision more than anything. I voted yes, we need to give him chance.

Archived