Wigan's financial woes

Piethagoram

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,294
  • Days Won:  69

I don't wish this on any clubs supporters.I hope things can be resolved vey soon.

• Like 5

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,916
  • Days Won:  162

more needs to be done to make sure clubs are spending with their means, especially when a takeover happens. the buyer should have the responsibility to make repayments on any debts owed and reform to a spending plan for 5 years or so. then the football league or fa can review.

too many teams are ending up in this situation.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, liampie said:

more needs to be done to make sure clubs are spending with their means, especially when a takeover happens. the buyer should have the responsibility to make repayments on any debts owed and reform to a spending plan for 5 years or so. then the football league or fa can review.

too many teams are ending up in this situation.

Recommendations ,I believe, are ongoing with The EFL and clubs in the wake of my clubs recent woes,  @liampie.The relaxation of some of the restrictions imposed on Derby came as a result of cooperation by David Clowes(and others) which impressed The EFL.

• Like 1

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,916
  • Days Won:  162

@super_ram i think where derby had those sanctions, it should be applied to any club that are struggling but i strongly disagree with docking points. its a flaw in the system and the football league/fa need to acknowledge that they are to blame too.

they cant turn a blind eye to poor financial management or clubs that just might need help.

• Like 3

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  61
  • Days Won:  0

It’s sad that clubs can’t make fixtures or pay staff and players. They could try to buy the club as supporters. Then they might move forward on their own.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, liampie said:

@super_ram i think where derby had those sanctions, it should be applied to any club that are struggling but i strongly disagree with docking points. its a flaw in the system and the football league/fa need to acknowledge that they are to blame too.

they cant turn a blind eye to poor financial management or clubs that just might need help.

The EFL need to look at the checks they do on proposed buyers.The fit and proper persons (or whatever it's called) test obviously wouldn't have worked in the case of Chris Kirchner, who wanted to buy Derby and then Preston.He's awaiting trial in the USA for fraud, accused of misappropriating $20,000,000

• Like 2

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  1,095
  • Days Won:  2

I don’t like it when fans of a team suffer. I hope Wigan finds a way to move forward. They used to play in the Premier League and did well. But since then things have gone downhill. It makes you wonder if being in the Premier League is worth it.

• Like 3

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,459
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

It’s unfortunate for teams in this situation, as it’s not the fault of the fans. Everyone knows this and it’s disheartening to see a club in such a dire state. Wigan could really use some assistance to overcome this, but I’m not sure what to suggest. The Football League, Premier League and F.A should come together to discuss measures to prevent these issues.

• Like 5

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  171

Although I personally do not like Wigan, I would never wish any misfortune upon them. It is my hope that they are able to successfully overcome any challenges. However, it is worth mentioning that, in general, their supporters have been known to unpleasant.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  905
  • Days Won:  3

Hopefully, Wigan will turn things around and regain their health. Clubs need to stop spending beyond their means in pursuit of success and start living within their means.

• Like 1

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

I don't understand what docking points is supposed to achieve in this situation. How will that help the other clubs if Wigan run out of money and can't fulfil their fixtures? I think the League wants to be seen to be doing something.

In the German professional leagues there is a licensing system. Clubs have to present their financial information to the German FA - including sponsorships, projected crowds and the playing budget. If they expect to make a loss, they have to provide proof of funds, otherwise there's no license and it's off to the regional leagues they go. It's a very harsh system though and clubs often get reprieved from relegation because others have been ejected. 

• Like 4

• Content Count:  881
  • Days Won:  1

Good luck to Wigan. I hope they can sort out their finances. They have had a good rise in football and I hope they don’t end up like Bolton, Portsmouth, Coventry and others who went backwards.

Edited by thommo
  • Like 1

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

It's quite sad to witness clubs in such a state. They think docking points will serve as a punishment and warning to sort things out, but it's already too late. In the end, it's the fans who suffer the most. Wishing them the best, truly a shame to see this happen.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,000
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

It's not about whether we like them, it's about a football team experiencing a tough time which we have also gone through before.

My personal opinion doesn't come into this, I just wish them all the best.

I hope the club manages to resolve the issues they're facing, it's never nice to see any team struggle like this, and it's for that reason I think football comes first. Fingers crossed they can get out of the mess they're in.

• Like 1

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,781
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

With reference to @liampie "but i strongly disagree with docking points".. The consequence of financial over spend is that you are using money to buy better players. That's not fair on the other teams in the division that have cut their financial cloth accordingly. The Munto season could have seen Notts docked points for an incredible overspend too

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,733
  • Days Won:  27

We are once again reminded of our good fortune to have steadfast owners supporting our club. Tales of clubs in distress are always disheartening to hear. It is our sincere hope that Wigan can overcome their challenges and recover unscathed from any significant difficulties.

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  1,054
  • Days Won:  13
  • 𝕏:  twitter @KB1862

There's surely more that could be done by the EFL and FA to stop things like this happening.

It's frustrating to see when clubs haven't got financial means to pay players and staff then are faced with further punishment financially, the thing they're struggling with in the first place. 

Docking of points is justified, as it prevents clubs getting further in debt with a financial punishment. 

But on the other hand, there are Premier League clubs that overspend but fail to receive any sort of punishment for the similar things EFL teams get punished of. 

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  687

Does anyone know what kind of fees the club is paying agents? I suppose when the Trews thought it meant savings, you still have to pay a good player and their agent. However, I am interested in what sort of fees we are paying them.