Meta to launch Twitter rival

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

A new “twitter like” app will be launched on Thursday by Meta (the owners of Facebook), it will be linked to Instagram so will already have a huge potential following.

Read more here:  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66094072

• Like 9
  • Love 1

• Content Count:  12,905
  • Days Won:  162

will this mean pon wont see new members join in and they will just go there? :(

eion musk is turning twitter into a self harming website, everything he does is harming it. mark zuckerberg mean while is a shark waiting to have everyones information. i can see it making musk change his tone and stance on a few things.

• Like 8

Supporter+
33 minutes ago, liampie said:

I can’t see it affecting PoN if people use the new platform there’s no reason why they won’t engage on PoN as well.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,989
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

1 hour ago, liampie said:

eion musk is turning twitter into a self harming website, everything he does is harming it. mark zuckerberg mean while is a shark waiting to have everyones information. i can see it making musk change his tone and stance on a few things.

We'd be in the same position as before, it just means I have to work harder to convince more people to be a part of our community. I'm not phased by this stuff, I don't worry about what is out of my hands. I like to see it as a challenge, which I am 100% committed too.

Plus it actually looks quite promising!

39 minutes ago, Fan of Big Tone said:

I can’t see it affecting PoN if people use the new platform there’s no reason why they won’t engage on PoN as well.

I think, @liampie means the tweet between @Turkey_Twizzler and @Pie since 89. Where PON was put forward as a place for fans to get involved with, due to the Twitter restrictions. We had 3 to 4 members join that day, which was great to see.

I personally hope Twitter survives the Elon Musk regime, the positives are there if you can sidestep some of the landmines and trolls.

• Like 9
  • Love 2

• Content Count:  12,905
  • Days Won:  162

1 hour ago, Fan of Big Tone said:

new members may have less time for pon with another social network and people undecided about twitter. but chris understood what i meant. :) 

24 minutes ago, Chris said:

We'd be in the same position as before, it just means I have to work harder to convince more people to be a part of our community. I'm not phased by this stuff, I don't worry about what is out of my hands. I like to see it as a challenge, which I am 100% committed too.

Plus it actually looks quite promising!

I think, @liampie means the tweet between @Turkey_Twizzler and @Pie since 89. Where PON was put forward as a place for fans to get involved with, due to the Twitter restrictions. We had 3 to 4 members join that day, which was great to see.

I personally hope Twitter survives the Elon Musk regime, the positives are there if you can sidestep some of the landmines and trolls.

it just takes people to get familiar with pon, there is loads of ways in which you have made sure fans can find content. it just takes that person preference and a bit of time to commit. i just felt encouraged by the new members joining. it feels like the hard work put into pon is finally being noticed. 

• Like 6
  • Love 4

Supporter+

There’s definitely been an influx of people I’ve not seen before and lapsed members returning, it’s all very encouraging. 

• Like 5

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,462
  • Days Won:  15

It looks like the social media wars are in full swing, with Meta versus Musk. It will be interesting to see if either has a knock-on effect on the other, or if both social networks will survive and be popular in their own right.

• Like 9

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  1,131
  • Days Won:  2

I like Instagram. I think Meta understands its users better, and I don’t really buy into all this data selling and other nonsense, as it’s the same with Google. I think Threads will be a much better place, so I’m interested to see how it does.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  1,090
  • Days Won:  2

Oh boy, TikTok rips off Instagram, Meta rips off Twitter. It’s getting silly with all these social media sites popping up. I don’t think one social network should hold a monopoly on things either. Variety is always better.

• Like 6

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  1,054
  • Days Won:  13
  • 𝕏:  twitter @KB1862

@allardyces tashhttps://amp.tmz.com/2023/06/29/elon-musk-mark-zuckerberg-mma-fight-colosseum-rome-italian-government-dana-white-ufc/

Well and truly underway 😅

I'm quite looking forward to this new social media app tbf. Insta runs well so having an app that is basically twitter ran by meta could be what is needed. Even if to force Musk into changing things back. 

• Haha 4

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,725
  • Days Won:  27

Instagram isn’t a social media channel I use. I don’t see the point in sharing pictures frequently. I prefer reading, so Threads sounds interesting. If they do all the things Twitter fails to do, I can see it working. You have to give and take, rather than trying to charge the earth.

• Like 5

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  18,302
  • Days Won:  28

I don't use twitter but i do use facebook. I see the new price range thing with twitter as silly and just discouraging people from using it.

• Like 2

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  419
  • Days Won:  1

I think Threads looks interesting, but the name of it is daft. I don’t use Twitter, but it might benefit those users because competition makes you listen and work harder.

Elon Musk sounds like he’s taken to Twitter as being his personal play toy.

• Like 3

Supporter+
6 hours ago, Nocturnal-Magpie said:

but the name of it is daft

Can’t be much dafter than Twitter when you think about it, who’d have thought 20 years ago that we’d be “tweeting” on “twitter”. :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,455
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

Threads could do well if they attract celebrities and social influencers. It could easily win against Elon Musk’s Twitter. It sounds interesting and refined, with a quicker UI like Twitter used to have.

• Like 4

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

I think Meta will do a better job than Elon Musk. Twitter is rapidly declining, and I have seen many articles about how people are deactivating. Most may return if Twitter gets its act together, but Threads may gain more users by their release timing. I had thought about joining when Tony mentioned if anyone used it. I do browse the internet a lot during my day, but I thought my time would be better spent off social media.

• Like 3

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  1,054
  • Days Won:  13
  • 𝕏:  twitter @KB1862

@AmericanPie I won't be deactivating twitter right away due to the fact that there are many accounts I like to check out every now and again that aren't on either insta or threads. Maybe when all the accounts I have interest in move over and the app works well than it might be a to do. 

• Like 2

• Content Count:  372
  • Days Won:  0

I think Meta will force Elon Musk’s hand when his site’s shares start to fall and people start demanding changes, but the things he has implemented don’t work or bring in the big bucks that he wants. I think he will end up losing more money due to decisions to turn the site into a paywall.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  493
  • Days Won:  1

Hopefully, Meta will not give up on this and will keep some of the idiots and trolls out of the platform. I don’t like Twitter because it’s not very well moderated, if at all.