Match Discussion: Game 2 - The Mariners (H)

PON_News

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  18,243
  • Days Won:  80

Game 2 - The Mariners (H)

Team: Grimsby Town

Date: 12/08/2023

Where: Meadow Lane

What line-up should Luke Williams opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Like 2

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,793
  • Days Won:  162

if there is a game which notts needs to dig deep and get a good result, its this one. i would take a draw, but a win would be a lot nicer for obvious reasons.

it would be annoying to lose to the two teams that prevented us from making our football league return earlier than we did, so quickly into a new season. put the hurt and disappointment aside, we know we have a good squad and provided the players work hard to create chances we can score. defensively we need to be much better though.

• Like 6

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,461
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

County aren't going to resolve all the defensive issues in a week but County are a difficult side to beat at ML. This could end up being a right old arm wrestle. Grimsby will make it hard for us. They'll be looking to exploit our weaknesses at set pieces and crosses. 2-2 draw I reckon. 

• Like 5

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  502
  • Days Won:  2

This is a 'not lose' game for confidence reasons.  Another tonking and it's beginning to look like a long road back confidence wise which will make the season tougher than it needs to be (and it's tough enough already). We will come good in the end, but a loss this weekend will delay that a bit. 

What I would go for:

Stone

Tipton - Cameron - Chicksen

Bostock - Palmer

Namane  - JOB - Crowley -  Randall

McGoldrick

Scott (I know I know, but I think he gives us slightly different options up front!)

Subs:  Slocombe, TAR, Jones, Rawlinson, Langstaff

My concern with that line up is there are an awful lot of changes, so I expect it to be Tipton in for Baldwin and other than that pretty much the same side as started against Sutton.

• Like 4

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,234
  • Days Won:  69

2 hours ago, Dripsey3 said:

County aren't going to resolve all the defensive issues in a week but County are a difficult side to beat at ML. This could end up being a right old arm wrestle. Grimsby will make it hard for us. They'll be looking to exploit our weaknesses at set pieces and crosses. 2-2 draw I reckon. 

You could have been referring to my County at the start of your post @Dripsey3 and apart from different opposition  and venue you are spot on.I'm just hoping errors are eliminated by both my sides and we can kick start our season.

• Like 5

• Content Count:  10,680
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

• Like 3

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  1,700
  • Days Won:  36

Seriously hope that we have learnt from the first two games and stop making the stupid mistakes we have been doing.

Would like the side to be:

Stone

Tipton   Rawlinson   Cameron

TAR                                              Chickson

Palmer             Bostock

Jones                                 McGoldrick

Langstaff

Rawlinson only because I cannot bear to watch Brindley get battered again and lack of other options at the moment. I would prefer Jones to be playing his more natural role than a wing back and it’s a toss up between Nemane and TAR. I personally prefer TAR, but it’s a close call.

• Like 5

Out of interest, has there been a press conference this week? Nothing has been posted up anywhere from what I have found.

• Like 2

Supporter+
46 minutes ago, Fozzy said:

Out of interest, has there been a press conference this week? Nothing has been posted up anywhere from what I have found.

Good point I’ve not seen anything either. :huh2:

• Like 1

Supporter+

Here you go @Fozzy just released.

• Like 3

• Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  54

I'd go with @Ohh Tommy Johnson's team too. I'd back those 12 to beat Grimsby's 11! 😉

Grimsby are yet to score so that gives me a bit of hope going into this game. Hopefully we can avoid a hat-trick of red cards.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Content Count:  18,299
  • Days Won:  28

I hope we can do better today and test to see how we can improve the rest of the season, its only the start.

• Like 3

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,461
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

A win is a win is a win. County games will not be boring this season. 4 goals scored. 7 conceded. Is there much improvement in the defence? That's the million dollar question.......

• Like 6

• Content Count:  12,793
  • Days Won:  162

a sluggish but okay start by notts. the first goal people will complain about connell rawlinson and he should have done better, but it was a silly pass to him. even sillier what he did, as he allowed rose clean through but that was always going to be a goal once you let someone one on one with the keeper. our equaliser got the best out of our players and we started to come back into it, their 2nd goal was a brilliant worked goal.

i hold no fault for how that happened because it was a great move, which had excellent timing. 2nd half was a different tempo by notts, best team of the two for the longest period and i think we deserved to win. grimsby played quite well, but kicking our wingers to the ground started to become tiring to see.

• Like 5

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,761
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I thought Notts started off quite lively and eager to put a forward-thinking approach on the game, although we were guilty of bringing it too far back when really we should have tried going to the side, then back forward - instead back, back, back... 

Before we knew, the ball would always be at a defender's feet, now I understand why it is a means to open space but quite often today it was the wrong choice.

Usually when people at games complain about this, the options were not as transparent or as obvious today, but I thought we were sluggish after they scored, and we are lucky they didn't go 2-0 up. Grimsby, although they played a physical game and were quite dirty at times. We allowed them so much freedom, something I felt Richard Brindley cut out as being the defender in the middle of Kyle Cameron and Connell Rawlinson.

I think it was Matt Palmer who passed the ball to Connell Rawlinson, to which Rawlinson made the mistake which Danny Rose jumped on. That was really frustrating, but it's something we keep doing and did a fair amount last season. Never pass to your last defender if he's got a striker on him, find a sideways pass or try to move into space, so it opens up ahead of you.

John Bostock's goal was a sweet finish and came at a point we were starting to look like we might make a game of it after all.

However, we didn't take this opportunity and got caught out napping. Their second goal, yes it was an excellent move, but we shouldn't concede like this right near to the half-time whistle.

Second half, Notts were class and deserved to take all the points. We made Grimsby look quite lacking, with Jodi Jones being the player who made the biggest difference. You can see that he becomes quite the threat when trialling games. Once level, it seemed a matter of time before the third goal went in for us and I am delighted with the win. I do feel nervous every time the opposition shoots at our goal, as there's times Aidan Stone looks a bit glued to the ground, but I felt his aerial presence was excellent.

The referee at times tried to make the game about himself, but overall he wasn't shocking.

Jodi Jones deserved the Man of the Match, usually I don't agree with the club's match sponsor but it was spot on.

• Like 5

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,251
  • Days Won:  4

I do think we played very well, although we definitely need to work on not giving so many goals away, I think Crowley started off very quite and was a main culprit for passing the ball backwards with almost no need but after half time he came on a completely different player and those crosses could have easily led to a goal.

• Like 5

• Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  54

Luke Williams said he got his team back today and I agree with him.

We started ok, dealt with Grimsby’s press better than Sutton’s (first goal aside). I thought we dominated the first half, but at the same time until the latter stages we didn’t create much. Once we scored, we grew in confidence and I thought we'd see another goal, not for Grimsby though! Really frustrating to go in at HT 2-1 down yes it was a good ball over for their second but the awareness and reactions from our defenders has to be a lot better.

Pleased that we started the second half really positively and got the goals quite quickly. A great header from Crowley who looked really quality on the ball at times today. And then we saw the game out pretty comfortably.

Still think we’re a defender short, given it was makeshift back three right at the end. I was impressed with Brinds in the middle of the three but that game suited him against the smaller attackers like Rose and Eisa. Not sure I’d have felt confident with him against a big ol’ unit striker. Apparently, Fisher was in the stands, just curious or potentially signing? Who knows but I’m not sure we actually need him. I’d rather see a player like Debrah personally.

Great to get a home win at the first time of asking, I feel reassured that with these players we can compete at this level.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

• Content Count:  3,376
  • Days Won:  17
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

Richard Brindley in the centre of the CBs is a revolution; he looked extremely comfortable and solid. He offered energy going forward and steady cover, alongside Kyle Cameron and Connell Rawlinson, who I felt were below average today. Brindley played outstandingly, giving strong cover. I thought we were guilty of overplaying it at times. Grimsby is a good side and deserved their leads because, until the second half, they were the better of the two teams. Whatever Luke Williams said at half-time, it got a response. I have to say, I would still prefer Sam Slocombe to start, but Aidan Stone is making good strides. The thing for me is that he never looks likely to save shots, even ones which the opposition blast wide. He’s excellent in distribution and in the air. I’m pleased for John Bostock; he deserved to get on the scoresheet.

• Like 3

Terrible first goal to concede, rubbish pass from Nemane, Rawlo just gave up and I have no idea what Brindley was doing, he ran back and could have cut Rose off, but he just stopped for some reason and said “there you go, have all the time in the world to line up your shot at the near post”! Second goal was another shocker, competed for a ball we didn’t need to and Rawlo was sat around 10 yards behind the rest of the defence playing 3 attackers onside!

Attacking wise, I thought we looked really good, Nemane and Crowley linked up really well in the first half and gave Grimsby’s left hand side nightmares. JJ was quality second half. Johnny B played really well until being forced off and Macca ran his socks off (still don’t know how he put that chance over the bar).

Going forward, we were great, but thought we were terrible at the back again, and totally  baffled by Stone constantly booting it long to their centre halves in the first half. I get really frustrated at times as we just don’t get tight enough when the opposition have the ball, just close them down!

Just need a couple of quality & vocal centre halves now to play alongside Cameron and I think we will definitely make the playoffs, no centre halves will mean a bottom half finish.

• Like 4

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  1,054
  • Days Won:  13
  • 𝕏:  twitter @KB1862

Managed to catch the highlights on the EFL show last night as well as the extended highlights on YouTube. 

I did feel the goals were poor to concede though. First one sloppy pass back from Nemane, Rawlinson just gave up the chase on the ball but there was no real closing down from Brindley to block the shot. Second goal, defenders stepped up a bit late that allowed Clifton to stay onside from a chipped pass. Even if he didn't go for goal himself, there was another player free for him to square across. 

Jones had a terrific game from what I saw looked a real threat down that left and it paid off. Deflected cross leading to the equaliser as well as a magnificent bit of skill to get passed the defender and whip in a ball for Crowley to head home the winner. 

Langstaff looked a threat. Unlucky not to get a goal when he had his header saved which eventually led to Bostock grabbing his goal. Although, I feel he should have done better with his effort that went over the bar. But his goal will come and when it does I expect him to go on and grab more. 

I think this game showed there's still some work that needs to be done but I agree with Luke Williams post match interview that this is the Notts he wants to see and it's coming together again. 

• Like 3

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,427
  • Days Won:  287

Really delighted with this result, it made my day. While going behind twice wasn't exactly ideal, it allowed us to see the fighting qualities we saw last season and reassure the team that they can turn a game around in this division too. In truth, Grimsby's second came after our strongest phase of the match where we really had them on the ropes. We certainly deserved to win, but the second half was a lot scrappier and we didn't quite seem to have it under control. Some thoughts:

- I don't quite understand the point of Stone kicking it so long all the time. Nine times out of ten we just give away possession.

- Langstaff was unlucky not to get off the mark. The effort that went over the crossbar had ricoched off the defender and then the keeper and onto Langsatff's already outstretched leg, there wasn't much he could do about it. The goals will come.

- 13,000 for the first home game, wow! To put that into perspective, we got 9,000 for our first home game in the Munto season, and that included about 3,000 away fans.

1 hour ago, Piethagoram said:

Scorers' names in all caps reminds me of the Football Post!

• Like 3