PON_News

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  18,313
  • Days Won:  80

PSF - The Reds (A)

Team: Alfreton Town

Date: 09/07/2024

Where: Impact Arena

What line-up should Stuart Maynard opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Like 3

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,760
  • Days Won:  27

I’m hopeful that we’ll begin with a robust team, showcasing all the new recruits and fielding what we perceive to be our premier squad. It would be interesting to observe their performance as a unit in the initial 45 minutes, followed by strategic alterations in the second half. While I wouldn’t form any conclusions based on the friendly match, as it’s merely a practice run, I believe it would be beneficial to give the potential starting lineup some early playtime together, barring the inclusion of all the new signings. Rod McDonald and Curtis Edwards may not currently be viewed as starters by some, but it would be insightful to see how they fare in what could be our optimal lineup.

• Like 9
  • Love 2

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,494
  • Days Won:  15

Two mixed teams will each get 45 minutes of play, although some players might get less time. I’ll make a decision on the day of the game about whether or not I’ll attend. I believe it should be a good outing for the lads and provide a useful indication of their current fitness levels.

• Like 7
  • Love 3

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,937
  • Days Won:  180
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

The game against Alfreton allows Notts to field all the new recruits and play all the players that have returned from injury.

It's important for those players like Cedwin Scott and Matt Palmer to get some game time 

Key areas will be Goalkeeper, defence, midfield and attack. Notts new goalkeeper Alex Bass is sure to start. Will Cameron & Stone feature too?

If Macca is going to leave lots of attention will be on Morias, Scott, Jatta and Didzy, because all four of them can give Notts different options up front.

I will be interested to see how the Notts midfield line up together. Robertson, Palmer, Edwards, Austin, Tsaroulla & possibly Jones are a very healthy midfield team for Notts. Tsaroulla can play at left wing back too.

Lots of attention  will also be on our defensive unit and the new players such as Platt, McDonald & Bedeau, with established players like Chicksen & Macari.

Notts will probably field a different team in each half.

I expect a comfortable win for Notts, maybe four or five goals for Notts & hopefully, none conceded.

• Like 8

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,087
  • Days Won:  54

It's spot the trialist time again! 🧐 I'm intrigued to see if we've had a few training with us since the team started back, I'm sure they'll be one or two.

Not sure the game itself will be the most enthralling given it's the first game back. No-one will really be playing at 100%, and I think it'll be more geared to trying a few things out too so it could potentially be quite a low-scoring. As long as their are no injuries in these early friendlies, especially concerning Scott and Palmer it'll have been a success!

• Like 3
  • Love 8

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  194
  • Days Won:  0

@menzinho If the future of Macaulay Langstaff remains uncertain, we can expect a larger turnout of fans. They’ll be eager to see if he plays at all. His absence could pose a challenge for the team. Some fans might react negatively during the friendly match.

Identifying trialists is always an enjoyable activity. The current media team tends to name them, which quickly brings the players into the spotlight.

The game is primarily about fitness and observing how the players interact with each other. Hopefully, we’ll have a successful run and steer clear of any injuries.

• Like 9

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  13,007
  • Days Won:  162

well there wont be any macaulay langstaff sightings unless fans are wearing his name on their shirts.

it will be interesting to see how we lineup and just how much junior morias may feature. cedwyn scott has to start up front, either him or jatta. i think the first half we will field mostly youth players. see how they cope and manage, then throw on some first team potentials.

• Like 8

• Content Count:  669
  • Days Won:  1

I am interested to see how the defence does in its first outing. We can't judge too much, but I am keen. Alfreton can be a handful if they play well enough.

• Like 5

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  566
  • Days Won:  4
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Retro_Pie

Our first look at the team could potentially reveal other areas that need strengthening. Assuming we can avoid injuries and improve our fitness levels in time for the start of the new season.

• Like 5

• Content Count:  3,489
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

For those who attend, I’ll be counting on your feedback about the new players. I understand we can’t make judgments yet, but early impressions are useful for comparison once they’ve settled in. It’s nice to see how far they’ve come, and it will be refreshing to hear some positive thoughts from fans after the first game in a while.

• Like 6

• Content Count:  698
  • Days Won:  0

It seems the club waited until the day before a match to finalise things between Millwall and Macaulay Langstaff. Hopefully, seeing the squad and some trialists will help put people’s minds at ease and provide a new focus. The outcome of the match will only be significant to those who believe that winning friendly matches guarantees success in the league.

• Like 4
  • Love 2

• Followers:  25
  • Content Count:  30,206
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I had planned to go, but I still don't feel 100%. I'd rather sit back and see what fans have to say about the friendly. Alfreton makes for a good friendly game. They are a physical side, but one we should see plenty of the ball against.

It'll be interesting to see if Cedwyn Scott plays as a striker.

Stuart Maynard has mentioned in his pre-match interview that the game will be two mixed teams, which we are used to, but it sounds like some of the youngsters will be getting more game time. Which would allow those with slight niggles more time to recover.

• Like 5

Supporter+

In his pre match interview, Stuart reported that some players have niggles so I would expect that there may be some Academy players in the squad to play tonight.

It is probable that Matt Palmer won't feature tonight as he is going to be carefully managed back to match fitness.

• Like 1

Supporter+

Starting eleven for tonight's friendly.

• Like 2

Supporter+

That wasn't in the script.

Alfreton 1 Notts 0

Half Time 

Alfreton 1 Notts 0

Supporter+

Back to it for the second half plus the new team sheet.

No Jatta then.

• Like 2

Supporter+

Notts equalise

Alfreton 1 Notts 1

• Like 1

Supporter+

Alfreton retake the lead

Alfreton 2 Notts 1.

Supporter+

Notts get an equaliser from an own goal from a Nemane cross.

Alfreton 2 Notts 2.

• Like 2

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  13,007
  • Days Won:  162

its not been a bad game really, the free kick was a good effort. i dont think any complaints about the result really matters, its pre season. fitness and to see what areas might need tactically improving. nothing else.

• Like 3

Supporter+

So Notts first match without Macaulay Langstaff finishes.

Alfreton 2 Notts 2

• Like 2

Supporter+

It was a good workout for the lads tonight. Nice to get some minutes on the pitch. The result? Pretty meaningless really, several trialists playing and basically two different teams playing in each half.

What have we learned? Well the guys got some playing minutes. All our strikers got 45 minutes.

Can't really make any judgement till we see what Maynard will regard has his strongest team take the field together. Then we may know a lot more about how good the team could be.

• Content Count:  1,707
  • Days Won:  36

One of the trialists was apparently a wingback released by Luton. 

I see from the team sheet that there were quite a number of players not present, so can only assume we will see them at the weekend as Alreton are one of the weakest sides we will be playing this pre season.

No Stone or Randall named either, so looks like they will be frozen out in order to push them out of the door.

• Like 4

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,927
  • Days Won:  5

Alex Kirk was the trialist who scored the goal, wasn’t he? The other player is Elliot Thorpe, who used to be part of Spurs academy and is a former Luton player. I’m sure the match provided the insight we needed. We still need to make a few signings, so the result doesn’t really matter at this point.

• Like 1
  • Love 2