Your thoughts on Ultras coming to Meadow Lane?

NewarkPie

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  57
  • Days Won:  0

It has been in the air for a while at meadow lane about ultras wanting to be there and i personnely think it is time we have them. Not ones that start fights and flair and HUGE flags, but clean ones who bring drums, a flag , have their own section and get the atmosphere going?

Let me know your thoughts please:)

• Content Count:  124
  • Days Won:  3

Personally, I think that those in the main (DP) stand would be shocked if told to sing. It appears that many haven't mastered the words to the wheelbarrow song yet, as hey never join in.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If the  team is in with a chance of winning the kop will make  some noise and generate a hostile atmosphere for the visitors. We could ask the stewards to eject supporters who won't sing into the main stand. Then, replay the noise from the kop over the tanoy system ..this will increase the volume but not the feelings behind it.This is when the crowd becoming involved in the game, by encouraging the players.

Raw emotion   - passion - pride - effort and love of the club spilling out to feed both players and fans. This cannot be created by a man with a flag or drum. 

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,443
  • Days Won:  287

Clean ultras are a must. Ultras who don't shower are not wanted at Meadow Lane ;)

Ultras have their pros and cons. Personally I think it would be a great thing for Notts. You get constant noise and it's a great way to organise and involve young fans. On the other hand, you lose some spontaneity and some ultras groups can end up taking themselves too seriously or becoming politicised.

You can't eject people for not singing @Piety, it doesn't work like that. And playing crowd noise over the tannoy would be embarrassing. Let's make our own!

Choreographies are a big part of ultra culture - before big games, fans work on a big banner or display, set it all up at the ground before the match and unveil it as the teams come out. Of course it's all folded up and put away again when the match kicks off. Smaller clubs can do them too, there's a thread on them here.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,993
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I just wished more fans would try to lift the atmosphere at games, it would really help many fans through the tough games and naturally it may even help the players. Just think back to how the 'wheelbarrow song' started.

If we could get sections of supporters who sing, it would improve Meadow Lane on match days.

Last year it was relatively quiet, we had spells but it's not like the majority of the time, even when we was winning games. Provided the fans that do it, don't wind up the opposition and they're 100% behind the club, I have no problem.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,654
  • Days Won:  89

Unfortunately, we only have a small number at the back of the Kop that will sing regardless of the performance on the pitch. You have a bigger number who join in occasionally, then the whole Kop generally gets involved if it's going well on the pitch. 

I have no idea what goes on in the Pavis, I see the people there, but you never hear from them. 

• Content Count:  124
  • Days Won:  3

Dangerous sausage: Sorry It appears that I was not very clear on the points you mentioned.

I think that If you have a choreographed routine and 25% of the fans stay in their seat when you perform it, the whole thing can look silly. I was suggesting that non singers should be banished to the main stand to highlight the difficulties we would face. I wasn't really trying to introduce it.

Other local clubs have tried using the tannoy to encourage singing, we could do it but this is just noise for the sake of noise. As I say at the end - only songs sung with passion etc will lift the players and fans alike. 

Can I also say I am not knocking the guy with the drum who works hard to get things started, I am just pointing out that his hard work is wasted if no one  joins in.

so in conclusion I don't think Ultras would work at ML

Thanks for explaining @Piety. I wasn't having a go at you :)

Most clubs don't hand over entire stands to their ultras, just a certain section. Obviously when you're starting something like that, you can't be too ambitious. However, if it's a success you'll find many people will be happy to join in with the singing or hold a banner up for a couple of minutes before kick-off.

At my local club, like Notts, most people who go don't sing. But those who do are over with the ultras - and they're LOUD. You get lulls when the match is dull, but at least there's no silence. And when the team needs a lift, people feel more confident about joining in when someone is already singing.

And it would help make Notts a bit of a "scene" and help set us apart from our r*d rivals ... 

There's a group at Crystal Palace now. I might do some reading on it.

Crystal%20Palace%20Tifo2.jpg

• Content Count:  57

I personnaly think it would involve the fans alot, yes there may be some aggressive language towards opposition, but not alot like the picture above me! thats ridiuclas i think, I love Celtics one at their home games : this is a video directing towards Paddy McCourt back in the day! a great atmosphere involving the Ultras!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OuRIodTJtQ

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,511
  • Days Won:  9

Try starting one in the Pavis  :lol: 

Its a good idea, if you can get people willing to take part and try.

• Content Count:  2

This sounds like a great idea! Personally something I've always wanted to be apart of, Europe are years ahead of fans in this country and I think we need to catch up with them.teams like crystal palace have been praised the world over for their fans

• Content Count:  348
  • Days Won:  1

Ultras and violence go hand in hand, not needed at ML. Just more participation from the fans would help

Regards Al

You Pies!

Ultras and violence go hand in hand, not needed at ML. Just more participation from the fans would help

Regards Al

You Pies!

I'll bring some flares to the first home game see how it goes?? [emoji52]

Regards Al

You Pies!

Choreographies are a big part of ultra culture - before big games, fans work on a big banner or display, set it all up at the ground before the match and unveil it as the teams come out. Of course it's all folded up and put away again when the match kicks off. Smaller clubs can do them too, there's a thread on them here.

Didn't see our big flag much this season

Regards Al

You Pies!

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,290
  • Days Won:  69

I'm not knocking Notts fans here but what have you/we had to sing and cheer about recently ,apart from 'The Great Escape' Give the fans a team that plays exciting ,attacking football ,a team that gives 110% every game and never gives up and the atmosphere (and the fans) will return to ML.

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,511
  • Days Won:  9

The fan who owns the flag hand picks his games, hence why its hardly ever out. In my opinion the club should own one and get the fans to set it up at each home game, that is the only way we can count on seeing it but as it stands it's only ever big games.

I think the problem with ultras is people mistaken them for hooligans.

That said, do you see Stanley fans attacking anyone? No, they go and enjoy the game by encouraging their side. So it isn't all about winning games and having success, if the stands could be filled with flags and fans singing we might have more to cheer about on the field. Yet our fan base is firmly on the decline and we are quickly becoming an unattractive club to support.

Regards Al

You Pies!

Couldn't disagree more. At most clubs ultras have nothing to do with hooliganism, they simply focus on supporting the team.

• Content Count:  49

Everyone go look at Crystal Palace ultras, they go there to supoort the team they love and to get the actio going! They have some of the best fans in the league and i honestly think they wouldnt be in the prem without the ultras pushing them on. We wouldnt be a ultra with the fighting and i hope you give us a chance to prove that

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,350

Bring live to Meadow Lane would make match days more exciting, last year the majority of games I had to force myself into attending. Its fine once there, you have a beer and get a feel for what to expect but it was such a woeful year in terms of giving us something to cheer about.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,908
  • Days Won:  162

if it was done as a unity and with the clubs best interest, then this would be brilliant.

yet i have to say i see it just creating more of group which stands for itself, rather than with any of the established section of fans and in turn creating more of grudge between sets of supporters.

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,895
  • Days Won:  5

I would be up for creating some atmosphere, it sucks at Notts 7/10x.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  3,589
  • Days Won:  75

The atmosphere at Notts has been poor for years. It has been poor football as well. I can't see anything changing regards the fans. We've had a few good years, but the majority have let the club and fans down so the singing atmosphere just isn't there any more. The younger lads from the back of county road have now moved onto the kop or more likely the Pavis stand no and the (not knocking them btw) younger ones coming in at 18yrs old don't seem to have the same cohesion singing wise as we used to have 20 years ago! 

You could argue this is why we would benefit from the 'ultra' idea but I cant see it taking off as it would need organising and planning. The two things the club are generally crap at!!!

In fact you could say its never been the same since the mid 1990s when we redeveloped the ground.

• Content Count:  1

I think we should ask the club to give the fans who want to ring a specific area in the kop end such as a bottom corner where the fans are aloud to stand and sing as much as they want, getting everyone in one area could start off the whole stand going

You could argue this is why we would benefit from the 'ultra' idea but I cant see it taking off as it would need organising and planning. The two things the club are generally crap at!!!

In fact you could say its never been the same since the mid 1990s when we redeveloped the ground.

The club wouldn't organise this, it's down to the fans. We just need a few dedicated souls with time on their hands and it could catch on. Judging by the number of people who have viewed this thread, there's a lot of interest in the idea.

A lack of atmosphere in grounds is exactly the reason why many ultras groups were formed. We need to properly involve the young fans somehow. The average age of supporters is too high nowadays.

Archived