Les Bradd

Magic magpie

Today I’m in a nostalgic mood. Earlier I mentioned Tony Hateley and I thought of someone else who deserves a mention-Les Bradd. Les Bradd was born in Buxton and is Notts County’s all time leading goalscorer  with  125, also an amazing 398 appearances. Although in his early 70’s he's still very active with the club and his charity work makes him a true gentleman of the game. Does anyone remember watching him play or hearing a relative talking about him. If you want read Les Bradd story in our Pon alumni page by joe jones the link is below

A257BCC5-77C7-4673-B975-799344C11B56.jpeg

i have seen him around meadow lane, but i have never spoken to him. its amazing that he scored the most goals for the club and yet continues to look after the community where he lives. i wished notts would have him more involved with the youngsters, i think they would look up to him.

He was one of  @GrannyPie's dads favourite players.I really enjoyed it when we used to update each other with the  latest match we'd each been to.

"Sir Les" - as he is affectionately known - has been a stalwart of both Notts and those across the River Trent, for many a year.

I am fortunate enough to have watched him play (on many occasions too numerous to mention here) and can tell anyone who didn't get that pleasure: he was absolute 'magic'!

You never knew where/how Les was going to nip in and grab a goal: off his feet, from a (proper, intentional, aimed-at-the-goal) header or a screamer that he made look so (bloody) easy; but HE DID IT! 

Young Ben Hall reminds me of Les's physique and stance! But I've yet to witness the same 'nippiness' that got Les's name on so many winners for us, in those days.

A beautiful person, too, Les remains an Ambassador for all that's good at our Club and it's clear to anyone/everyone who meets him that he remains a total 'Pie' at heart.

If you've not read his book, "Far Post", I'd recommend you buy a copy from the club shop. It gives great insight into the Sirrel Years at Meadow Lane, from one of our Top players of the time.

Long Live, Sir Les.

6 hours ago, liampie said:

i have seen him around meadow lane, but i have never spoken to him. its amazing that he scored the most goals for the club and yet continues to look after the community where he lives. i wished notts would have him more involved with the youngsters, i think they would look up to him.

I was lucky enough to meet him on Thursday at the fixtures breakfast such a humble guy will talk to anyone if you see him say hi mate he loves to interact with fans 

I've spoken to Les many times, he's another player my grandfather highly rated and I'm pleased I can say I know him.

I remember being told by various people that he was good enough to player higher than he did, yet he didn't have the confidence or self believe in himself. I find it hard to believe due to his ability, but then again I guess if he had of signed elsewhere - he may not have gotten the goals he did for us. Colin Slater once told me that Les was one of the best strikers of the ball that he had witnessed during his years of covering the club.

He's a true gentleman and I like hearing the tales he mentions, I've always wished I could have a proper sit down conversation with him but I tend to get nervous.

I saw most of his games for Notts, and Les was one of the best.  Even though it was mainly in the lower leagues, my fondest memories are of the 70s Notts team with the likes of Masson, Needham, Stubbs, Bradd etc.  His 89th minute winner against Forest at the City Ground is a goal I'll never forget.  As the cross came over you just knew Les would bury it and I think every Notts fan behind the goal was celebrating before he made contact!

4 hours ago, Chris said:

I've spoken to Les many times, he's another player my grandfather highly rated and I'm pleased I can say I know him.

I remember being told by various people that he was good enough to player higher than he did, yet he didn't have the confidence or self believe in himself. I find it hard to believe due to his ability, but then again I guess if he had of signed elsewhere - he may not have gotten the goals he did for us. Colin Slater once told me that Les was one of the best strikers of the ball that he had witnessed during his years of covering the club.

He's a true gentleman and I like hearing the tales he mentions, I've always wished I could have a proper sit down conversation with him but I tend to get nervous.

Lovely to read mate especially about your grandad likening him and the fact he was loyal to the pies

4 hours ago, Elite_pie said:

I saw most of his games for Notts, and Les was one of the best.  Even though it was mainly in the lower leagues, my fondest memories are of the 70s Notts team with the likes of Masson, Needham, Stubbs, Bradd etc.  His 89th minute winner against Forest at the City Ground is a goal I'll never forget.  As the cross came over you just knew Les would bury it and I think every Notts fan behind the goal was celebrating before he made contact!

The stories I’m hearing about les the more respect I’m gaining for him especially how everyone says how quality he was but never wanted to player a higher and how he would finished a set a piece and would instil that confidence in you that the ball was In the back of the before it was cracking story that 👍🏻👍🏻

5 hours ago, Lozzle1 said:

"Sir Les" - as he is affectionately known - has been a stalwart of both Notts and those across the River Trent, for many a year.

I am fortunate enough to have watched him play (on many occasions too numerous to mention here) and can tell anyone who didn't get that pleasure: he was absolute 'magic'!

You never knew where/how Les was going to nip in and grab a goal: off his feet, from a (proper, intentional, aimed-at-the-goal) header or a screamer that he made look so (bloody) easy; but HE DID IT! 

Young Ben Hall reminds me of Les's physique and stance! But I've yet to witness the same 'nippiness' that got Les's name on so many winners for us, in those days.

A beautiful person, too, Les remains an Ambassador for all that's good at our Club and it's clear to anyone/everyone who meets him that he remains a total 'Pie' at heart.

If you've not read his book, "Far Post", I'd recommend you buy a copy from the club shop. It gives great insight into the Sirrel Years at Meadow Lane, from one of our Top players of the time.

Long Live, Sir Les.

Great story’s I wish I could have seen him play sounds remarkable 👍🏻

Les is a true gent.

I don't know how he manages to continue doing all this charity work but him and Brian Stubbs are still at it. As a player Les just wanted to play football, his scoring ability comes from working with some of the best strikers in the league. I wished we had a player like Les Bradd in the squad today, we would look more clinical upfront.

"I wished we had a player like Les Bradd in the squad today..."

@lambleypie

In truth, whilst watching some of our (most) lacklustre 'performances' we gave last season, I was absolutely convinced that Sir Les - N-O-W - would have given some of the opposition M-O-R-E problems than the (fielded, Notts) team, did!

Lol.

14 minutes ago, allardyces tash said:

There is nothing that I could write that would give Les Bradd the justice he deserves, but youngsters out there now will not understand just how good of a striker he was and his tally should have been much higher.

The way goals are given now, Les would have many more!

I second this, Les Bradd was an amazing striker for the club and he could have playd much higher too.

FYI... I spoke with both Alan Hardy and Darren Fletcher at the breakfast last week.

I've put to them the idea that Sir Les should be put forward, by Notts, for an 'award' in the Queen's Birthday Honours; in recognition and appreciation of the stonking good work he's done, both as a Footballer (of note) and on behalf of both Nottingham/shire clubs! 

Both were very happy to put it to the Board at the next meeting!

January might bring with it...a LOVELY and WELL-EARNED surprise for one of our own!

Fingers crossed...

Oh, and keep it quiet. He doesn't know what I've suggested. Lol.

Cat and bag come to mind @Lozzle1 but what a brilliant suggestion.

On 6/29/2018 at 12:18, Lozzle1 said:

"I wished we had a player like Les Bradd in the squad today..."

@lambleypie

In truth, whilst watching some of our (most) lacklustre 'performances' we gave last season, I was absolutely convinced that Sir Les - N-O-W - would have given some of the opposition M-O-R-E problems than the (fielded, Notts) team, did!

Lol.

Your not half wrong about that Lozzle.

Archived