David Vaughan comments by Charlie McParland

Fan of Big Tone

Supporter+

Did anyone see Notts TV’s Team Talk? Whilst discussing Notts’ signings Charlie said he was surprised that Notts had signed David Vaughan because he didn’t fit in with Nolan’s style of play, he said Vaughan likes to get the ball and slow the game down and spray passes to the wings, whereas Notts usual style is to get the ball up early to the front men and play off the knock downs. He was very complimentary of Vaughan and said he never gives the ball away and likes to play “pure football”.

What do you think is he right, will Vaughan fit in or will we change our style of play to accommodate Vaughan.

Nolan does prefer to hoof the ball, he won't like it or admit it but it's the truth.

Vaughan could do so much damage to sides in League Two if we allowed him to do what he does best. The only thing I disagree with Charlie is that style of play means little to a squad, if everyone played the same way it would be boring and predictable.

Charlie is absolutely right, Vaughan is much different from the playing style that Nolan has the squad playing but this doesn't mean he won't fit in. The club just needs to adjust the tactics a little, we have wingers who I would argue also don't fit the hoofing way.

Stead is no target man, he shouldn't have started against Colchester.

They have tall, physical players and they made it difficult for several players. Notts can be smarter to things like this with time.

Notts have to play to each persons strengths, Nolan doesn't seem to understand this with Stead because playing him alone or as a target man does not seem to work. He has players who can play passing football but fails to make them play this certain way.

As I say, play to the players strengths.

4 hours ago, Piethagoram said:

we needed the "Bishop" like midfielder which Hewitt, is a pale imitation of what we really needed.

I know what your saying, Elliot Hewitt works hard but he doesn't break up the play in the same fashion but he still makes the formation Kevin Nolan chooses work. David Vaughan can become far more important than a Neal Bishop type player, the tactics just need adjusting.

Personally, I would try to get Vaughan on the ball more and have Hewitt supporting him.

The issue I find the most is how useless Notts are when it comes to drawing players into space in order to allow another player to get the ball. Jorge Grant did this very well, most won't admit it but even when his performances wasn't above average - he still allowed players to get into good positions because teams would naturally mark him. If Enzio Boldewijn and Nathan Thomas worked harder on the wings they could create the space required for Vaughan to unlock a good pass.

Sadly, Stead ties himself to every defender near to him and we will only see this work if Hemmings and Dennis play as our primary strikers.

its not rocket science, insist that the players keep the ball on the ground in vital areas and allow the passes to do the job required.

hoofing it does nothing and just shows that we struggle to pass the ball which only occurs from playing football in the sky. vaughan and hewitt can work, just give them time and keep the ball down.

Supporter+
9 minutes ago, KingKev said:

King Kev will get the squad playing properly and we will see the best from the players, it's early days.

Your right, it’s early days, I agree I think he’ll get it right, he’s no mug, he knows what he’s doing.

Fair point about making space in order to work the ball @Chris.

If the players coped with this area better, maybe they wouldn't feel forced to pass the ball back? I don't blame Vaughan for this because there's worse offenders on the pitch. When he does it, least from my memory he was isolated.

He's the best passing player at the club for me.

Just re-work the tactics to allow them to suit the players Notts have.

At times the players will have to hoof the ball or clear it by lumping the ball. I would like to see them calmer in possession and knocking the ball around confidently. They seemed to run out of ideas against Colchester, so something may need to give.

Some good comments have been made here which could make for an interesting discussion on another topic.

Obviously I can't comment on Vaughan's performance because I have only see a few minutes in the highlights, I do feel some might be being harsh solely due to where he came from. Perhaps Kevin Nolan will adjust the tactics accordingly? If there are ball playing people in the squad, it would surely be more beneficial to get them to keep it down and to use their feet?

Archived