Match Discussion: EFL Cup - The Boro (A)

PON_News

20 minutes ago, NottsTastic said:

I am pleased each time Notts got pegged back that they managed to take the lead again, it was a good performance by them and the formation change could have made it hard for Notts to defend. I don't really know, but I do feel it needs to improve.

My comment which seems to have taken offence to one member was posted immediately after they scored, I was very frustrated but I would defend my view point.

I don't feel I deserved to be abused verbally like that and it was more than a little out of hand as @Fan of Big Tone would suggest.

I won't post simple as that.

Apology or no apology I wouldn't accept it.

Make this two because I joined because of my mate.

• Sad 3

The youngsters sounded like they played very well.

Tom Crawford has made a mark which will hopefully get him noticed, maybe he should start alongside David Vaughan? Promising display for the league considering it wasn't the strongest squad Notts could field and yet they played efficiently.

I would agree that the goals conceded needs reducing, Championship opposition or not you would have to be deluded to think he does nothing but have a negative effect on a players confidence. Notts will only improve when they stop leaking goals. Positive night on the field for me too.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

31 minutes ago, NottsTastic said:

I am pleased each time Notts got pegged back that they managed to take the lead again, it was a good performance by them and the formation change could have made it hard for Notts to defend. I don't really know, but I do feel it needs to improve.

My comment which seems to have taken offence to one member was posted immediately after they scored, I was very frustrated but I would defend my view point.

I don't feel I deserved to be abused verbally like that and it was more than a little out of hand as @Fan of Big Tone would suggest.

I won't post simple as that.

Apology or no apology I wouldn't accept it.

9 minutes ago, DeadlyDennis said:

Make this two because I joined because of my mate.

Take it from experience the comment is nothing more than a childish reaction, ignore it. Don't let a negative comment like that stop either of you from posting.

• Like 2
  • Love 4

Good game, entertaining and plenty of goals.

I would say if Notts hadn't conceded three in the last game, we wouldn't have to worry but as @upthepies mentioned it will take a knock on the team morale. The defenders will be low on confidence and keepers have the hardest task of lifting themselves.

Good performance but there is concerns.

• Like 1

Supporter+

@NottsTastic @DeadlyDennis Please reconsider, this forum is not usually prone to these sort of spats and as I said in my post @Northants Pie is certainly not like this normally perhaps he’s having a bad time who knows.

As you saw @Magic magpie was straight on the case and several members came to your defence, things like this will be jumped on immediately we want this to remain a friendly forum, I really hope you reconsider as your presence has been a breath of fresh air.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Well it wasn't Notts that disappointed last night was it @Northants Pie.

Overall good performance, the players worked hard and passed the ball around nice. Tom Crawford looks like the real deal, his goal may have been straight forward but he took it confidently. The defence does need to mark better, when other PON members see the goals for themselves they will agree. There was virtually no effort and Ross Fitzsimons couldn't do a thing.

Well done Notts.

• Like 4

Starting XI:

Fitzsimons
Hewitt  Duffy  Bird
Hawkridge  Crawford  Husin  Kellett  Jones
Stead  Alessandra 

Subs used :  Campbell  Patching  Brisley 
Not used :  Dunne, Osborne, Thomas
Pindroch withdrawn from starting XI after being injured in the warm up. 

A string of changes from last Saturday as KN gave his fringe players some game time.  In previous years we've gone home saying that nobody had staked a claim for the following match. Not the case this time. Husin, Kellett and Crawford ran the show as Notts were more than a match for a 'Boro side who also rested much of their senior squad. Crawford fully deserved his debut goal and only faded in the last half hour as the furious pace of the game began to take its toll on him. Bird also had a good game, and Alessandra put himself forward for Friday with a fine, hardworking display.

Given that Hemmings, Vaughan, Thomas, and Boldewijn are likely to be restored to the side on Friday night, it'll be interesting to see how Notts line up. I suspect that Tootle is carrying a knock, having been subbed at Cambridge. Jones played the full 90mins last night, as did Stead and Duffy. Not ideal when you're over 30 and your next game is only 72 hours away.  

I therefore think we'll see a change of formation.  I can see Notts starting as they did last night, with a back 3, and a 5-man midfield.  I'm a bit reluctant to stick my neck out and try to predict the starting XI..... but I'll be surprised and disappointed if Kellett and Husin aren't in the middle with Vaughan, and I believe Alessandra will start up front with Hemmings, because Dennis isn't quite fully match fit. 

271 Notts fans made the trip, in a crowd of 9,942....double what I thought there'd be....which was probably down to Middlesbrough slashing prices to just £10 for adults. Thanks to them for that.  

Also, thanks a bunch to the inconsiderate a**eholes, s**theads and b*****ds who make up the Dept of Transport, for closing large sections of the Southbound A1 last night,  forcing us to divert to York through the winding countryside of the old A19, then onto the A64, before rejoining the A1 just North of Leeds. This stroke of genius put an extra 50 miles and an extra 90mins on our return journey. I crawled into bed at 2am.  

Natty

• Like 4

Supporter+
11 minutes ago, Natty said:

Starting XI:

Fitzsimons
Hewitt  Duffy  Bird
Stead  Alessandra 

A string of changes from last Saturday as KN gave his fringe players some game time.  In previous years we've gone home saying that nobody had staked a claim for the following match. Not the case this time. Husin, Kellett and Crawford ran the show as Notts were more than a match for a 'Boro side who also rested much of their senior squad. Crawford fully deserved his debut goal and only faded in the last half hour as the furious pace of the game began to take its toll on him. Bird also had a good game, and Alessandra put himself forward for Friday with a fine, hardworking display.

Given that Hemmings, Vaughan, Thomas, and Boldewijn are likely to be restored to the side on Friday night, it'll be interesting to see how Notts line up. I suspect that Tootle is carrying a knock, having been subbed at Cambridge. Jones played the full 90mins last night, as did Stead and Duffy. Not ideal when you're over 30 and your next game is only 72 hours away.  

I therefore think we'll see a change of formation.  I can see Notts starting as they did last night, with a back 3, and a 5-man midfield.  I'm a bit reluctant to stick my neck out and try to predict the starting XI..... but I'll be surprised and disappointed if Kellett and Husin aren't in the middle with Vaughan, and I believe Alessandra will start up front with Hemmings, because Dennis isn't quite fully match fit. 

271 Notts fans made the trip, in a crowd of 9,942....double what I thought there'd be....which was probably down to Middlesbrough slashing prices to just £10 for adults. Thanks to them for that.  

Also, thanks a bunch to the inconsiderate a**eholes, s**theads and b*****ds who make up the Dept of Transport, for closing large sections of the Southbound A1 last night,  forcing us to divert to York through the winding countryside of the old A19, then onto the A64, before rejoining the A1 just North of Leeds. This stroke of genius put an extra 50 miles and an extra 90mins on our return journey. I crawled into bed at 2am.  

Natty

Thanks @Natty for your (as always) excellent report, I've enjoyed reading them on the list for many years and it's great to see them on here too.

• Like 1

Notts came out of the game having played brilliantly against a Championship side, the second half both teams fielded more inexperienced players but it was a good result. I held back from posting yesterday as things on here seem tense.

There's no doubt that the first two goals was gifted to them.

Dan Jones being at fault for the first two, as he could have prevented both of them.

People on here just accept opinions without being abusive.

• Love 1

10 hours ago, Fan of Big Tone said:

@NottsTastic @DeadlyDennis Please reconsider, this forum is not usually prone to these sort of spats and as I said in my post @Northants Pie is certainly not like this normally perhaps he’s having a bad time who knows.

As you saw @Magic magpie was straight on the case and several members came to your defence, things like this will be jumped on immediately we want this to remain a friendly forum, I really hope you reconsider as your presence has been a breath of fresh air.

What @Fan of Big Tone of tone says is correct lads I hope you will stay with us. 

14 hours ago, Fan of Big Tone said:

As @Fan of Big Tone says Please reconsider.You didn't deserve the comments aimed at you but your opinions are welcomed and it 's obvious how PoN members feel.

I thought Notts did very well to lead but questions have to be asked why we stand off players when defending, it always seems a last thought to put in a foot. All they have to do is block the ball at times but they choose to allow runs directly into dangerous positions.

11 hours ago, Natty said:

Starting XI:

Fitzsimons
Hewitt  Duffy  Bird
Stead  Alessandra 

Natty

just to correct Natty's otherwise excellent report...Duffy was subbed after 55 mins by Brisley