25 yrs ago today, Anglo Italian Cup final

Piethagoram

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,936
  • Days Won:  162

was mentioned first in pons on this day feature.

this was well before my time but it looks like the squad enjoyed winning it. how footballers have changed over the years.

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,733
  • Days Won:  27

I wished I had of seen those Wembley trips during the 90s, hopefully we can revisit the stadium this season if it ends up being restarted.

Happy days!

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

Awesome, thank you for posting @Piethagoram. Was really hoping we could revisit Wembley this season and win another prestigious trophy to place alongside it. That also means it is nearly 25 years since we were relegated from the second tier :o

That Harp shirt is the oldest home shirt I've still got. Seriously tacky.

Many names in that team (and on the bench) will be well-known to younger fans too. Howard Kendall won the title with Everton just eight years previously, and Russell Slade went on to manager loads of clubs. And Ascoli had Oliver Bierhoff playing for them, who wet on to have a glittering career - the following year he was called up for the German national team and scored the golden goal that won Euro 96 for Germany. He's currently the general manager of the German national team.

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,524
  • Days Won:  9

Gheorghe Hagi played for Brescia in the Anglo Italian cup the year before against Notts, he had left Real Madrid to join them and would sign for Barcelona a few years later.

I remember these trips very well, good cup the Anglo Italian cup.

It was something different and gave fans a taste of Europe even if it was a small trophy.

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,801
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

I attended the games at Brescia and Ascoli. Flew to Bergamo from Stansted ( I think) and Manchester to Rimini, then local trains to Ascoli. Collected match tickets from neal Hook at the players hotel and had an interesting chat with Derek and John in the piazza in the centre of the town. Devlin's final minutes turn and volley remains embedded in my memory 

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  884
  • Days Won:  1

I can say I was at Wembley, I couldn't watch Notts away from home because of work but like others before me I can remember virtually every minute of the game.

• Content Count:  46
  • Days Won:  0

Amazing days! I remember the Wembley tours of the 90s.

It became almost like a second home ground!

• Content Count:  310
  • Days Won:  0

If Notts do right from this season and the takeover, there's no reason why the club couldn't climb the leagues and gain a couple back to back promotions.

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,910
  • Days Won:  5

I hope in my life time that I get to see Notts at Wembley, I thought it would be this season. :( 

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,143
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I went to both finals, my grandfather took me and @william1984.

I loved the games, I have found memories of them and seeing our fans celebrating. It's one of those things as a young fan that sinks in and makes your fall in love with the club, I'm not sure my memories would have been the same if we didn't go because my grandfather would take us to more league games as a result of how much we enjoyed them. The squad, they're all icons in my eyes.

I remember parts of the game like it was yesterday, although, I can't say which final it was where a fight almost broke out between sets of players.

The Anglo-Italian cup seems to be the one I think it was, has it was more barging each players but I can remember my grandfather using some colourful words. He mentioned how they kept going in hard on our players as a means to break the game up.

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

Those years, I missed as I moved over here in the late 80s. It would’ve been nice to have PON back then to keep me updated.

Archived