David Raya Comments

KB1862

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  1,054
  • Days Won:  13
  • 𝕏:  twitter @KB1862

Interested to get people's take on this. 

I get that players have ambitions and want to further there careers but sometimes the grass isn't greener on the other side. Brentford have progressed this season to narrowly miss out on a European place themselves. Is a move to Spurs really a step up given their record of trophyless seasons they've endured for many years?

From what I've heard Brentford are more than willing to let Raya leave and have set a price tag but none of the interested clubs seem willing on paying it. 

Raya has been solid in goal for Brentford this season and there's a reason for such interest being shown in him but I think comments like this are unacceptable and basically makes the player sound like he's bigger and better than the club which should never be the case in any club. 

• Like 9
  • Love 2

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

I kind of understand players wanting to make the step up. It's a short career and he might not get another chance. But by going public like this he's burning his bridges and attempting to force Brentford to accept whatever Spurs are offering. It undermines Brentford's negotiating position, and that's a shabby way to treat the club. These things should be said behind closed doors, not to the media.

Also, I thought personal terms were only discussed once a transfer fee had been agreed? Wouldn't this be an illegal approach? 

• Like 10
  • Love 2

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  419
  • Days Won:  1

What does he stand to gain by joining Tottenham Hotspur? He doesn't seem to know much about football in England or Spurs. While I understand his ambitions, he has been outstanding at Brentford and if playing in European football is his goal, a move to Italy or back to Spain would offer a greater chance of league success. Tottenham seems like an odd choice for someone who wants to win things. Perhaps he wants to help them win the London Cup by triumphing in every home game against their closest rivals. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,062
  • Days Won:  54

4 hours ago, DangerousSausage said:

Also, I thought personal terms were only discussed once a transfer fee had been agreed? Wouldn't this be an illegal approach? 

I thought that too but the media have been reporting something similar between Mason Mount and Man Utd and no-one seems to care so obviously not!

I don’t like when players try and force moves, don’t sign a contract with the club in the first place if you don’t want to be there. He also signed for Brentford when they were in the Championship, so he’s got a lot of thanks to give them.

I get players wanting to move on but I totally agree all this talk just be kept private, let the clubs negotiate a deal and if it can’t be done get your head down and show them why they should’ve paid that bit extra for you. Seems easier to throw a strop though, but this just makes me think less of these players.

• Like 8
  • Love 3

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,007
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

The person in the tweet could be twisting the blade, but it does seem very disrespectful. Age can be a funny thing too, he probably realises that he has a good amount of stock in him now, compared to when he joined Brentford. These things can turn a player's head and, let's be fair. Sometimes Spanish players can prioritize their individual goals over loyalty to their teams and might not handle situations diplomatically.

When players force moves from their clubs, it makes you wonder why other teams are interested because it can be a sign of things to come.

I would say he's got at least 6–7 years when he should be playing at his best, if I were him, I'd be trying to focus on achieving my personal goals with Brentford. 7th is quite a respectable finish for them, but again this could be part of the downfall. He may have been promised european football this season, the idea of it could have gotten into his head. It's a tough situation, but Brentford need to play their cards right.

• Like 8

@DangerousSausage I thought it has always been illegal but you often see reports of players agreeeinf personal terms before a deal has actually been made between the clubs. But 100% all for players wanting to move up in their careers but as you said there's ways to do it and going public undermining your own club burning bridges and all that isn't the way to get a move away. 

• Like 3

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  881
  • Days Won:  1

While I may not be fully informed about the situation, I do believe that all discussions should be held in private. It’s possible that the individual in question is disappointed about not finishing in the top six, but Brentford’s 7th place finish is still a remarkable achievement. In my opinion, it would be wise to transfer him to another team, accepting any offer except from Tottenham. He’s a good goalkeeper, but ultimately replaceable.

• Like 8

@Nocturnal-Magpie don't forget Spurs did win the Audi Cup in recent years 😅 I can't see why it seems appealing to go Spurs to further his career and "win trophies" either. 

@Chris I'd normally agree with media reports twisting the blade but with it being Fabrizio Romano it is a very credible quote as he's 99% accurate with the things he reports.

Totally agree with the fact of if a player shows a lack of respect to his current club to force a move why do they attract interest from clubs? They could well in fact do the same when they reach their new destination. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,461
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

These types of incidents should remain private. I can see it from both sides and understand the keeper’s ambitions, but it comes across as disrespectful to Brentford, who gave him a platform to showcase his ability. He decided to join them and so far, this doesn’t show him in a good light. Brentford would be best to get rid of him and find a new keeper. This situation could be the undoing for all involved. I feel sorry for Brentford; they deserve better.

• Like 8

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,469
  • Days Won:  15

I would just get rid of him. When he moves to Spurs and doesn’t win a single thing and causes them misery in the process, he may regret his decisions and actions while Brentford keeps going from strength to strength.

• Like 7

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,921
  • Days Won:  162

yes, best to get rid of players like this. if he cant commit and stay focused on his team, then the club needs to remove the player before it leads to further upset.

• Like 5

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,519
  • Days Won:  9

It’s an extremely negative and controversial approach towards getting a club to grant you a transfer release. It does undervalue his service, but while Brentford may have to fight for the price they want, it will damage his reputation and make bigger clubs think twice. He would have more chance of winning something at Arsenal or Chelsea. Spurs won’t succeed in winning anything worthwhile.

• Like 4

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,733
  • Days Won:  27

I agree that Brentford should look for a new first-team keeper. When a player pulls this trick, it’s just toxic and can split a happy dressing room in half. No club needs to deal with this type of issue, but it does happen a lot. Let him go, replace him well and show he made a mistake.

• Like 4

@CliftonMagpie often see that happen where a player thinks they're better or bigger than a club only to then fall out of favour with their new club and then go on a decline 

• Like 2

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  1,138
  • Days Won:  2

Good luck to Brentford. If they handle this better than David Raya, they’ll come out of it much stronger than him. Much stronger than if they try to keep him. It’s best to grant the move and just get as much money as possible for him.

• Like 2

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

Oh, once a player crosses this line, they have the mark forever and Brentford would be wise to get rid of him ASAP. I can’t see this ending with him being happy because if Brentford struggle next season (because 7th is a superb finish), he will only throw more of his toys out of the pram. Would you rather lose an arm or a leg?

• Like 1