PON_News

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  18,243
  • Days Won:  80

PSF - Forest (H)

Team: Nottingham Forest

Date: 15/07/2023

Where: Meadow Lane

What line-up should Luke Williams opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Like 3

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,680
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I guess it depends on how strong the team forest put out is but I think they’ll probably be too strong for us, it’ll be a good test for Notts though.

I don’t really mind what the result is but I wouldn’t like us to lose by too many, I’ll go for 1-3 with a McGoldrick goal for Notts.

I just hope both sets of fans behave themselves.

• Like 13

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  1,897
  • Days Won:  17

Score don't really matter does it. Its the impression the lads give to LW and how he picks his team for the start if the season proper. COYP.

• Like 10

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,761
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I hope Luke Williams doesn't remove the youth team players completely, but I do think it's important to start the strongest defence that we can. After some time, maybe bring on some of the youngsters. I think it's important to focus on our defensive strength rather than worrying about giving players a chance in a rotating team. Just to shut up those who are complaining about certain youth players and Aidan Stone.

The score doesn't matter, it's all about fitness and getting ready for the season.

I don't think it will be a repeat of Stoke City, I think we will take our time a bit more. If Forest plays their strongest squad, we just need to play into space and protect Stone better. That said, I think Sam Slocombe will start.

• Like 12

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,684
  • Days Won:  27

Luke Williams should proceed with his plans and ignore the moaning fans. I think dropping the youngsters at this point would be harmful. A strong defence would be a good call, but the more I think about it, you would hope the players react to the minority of so-called fans who threw their toys out of the pram. I think Forest will allow us to play much more than Stoke City did; they came and acted like it was a cup match. Fair play, but I would be surprised if they didn’t.

• Like 10

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,319
  • Days Won:  1

If Luke Williams can get a good response following the Stoke City game and get the players to improve their concentration, I hope those fans who were disappointed with the Stoke City result don’t go to the other extreme, especially if Notts manages to win. We have to keep in mind how much money has been spent this past season just to survive the relegation drop from the Premier League. Win, lose or draw, I just want everyone to enjoy it. Let the players have their moment against Forest and don’t call out players during the game.

• Like 9

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  196
  • Days Won:  0

I’ll just enjoy the game for what it is; there’s no need to get irate about a friendly. I think Notts will make changes as we get closer to the first fixture of the season. I hope Notts doesn’t refrain from playing the youngsters, but it might protect them a bit further. I’d like to see Macaulay Langstaff feature for longer than he did, with maybe two up top at times before he eventually comes off.

• Like 6

• Content Count:  43
  • Days Won:  2

Good luck in your final home friendly against Forest. Take pride in knowing that you don't have to pay £150,000,000 to survive the drop and that team spirit from promotion is better than that of survival. At the end of the day, the result won't matter unless you win. Go earn those bragging rights, County!

• Like 6
  • Love 3

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,391
  • Days Won:  18

I hope we can give Forest a run for their money. Obviously, if we lose, we lose. I don’t care, but if we were to win, it would show those plastic fans who don’t appreciate their own club. Much like the 70% who seem to be glory supporters. I’ll make a prediction: 2-1 Notts, with a Langstaff brace.

• Like 7

• Content Count:  12,793
  • Days Won:  162

i do think forest will allow us to play more than stoke city did, i think a lot of their players wanted to prove a point to their manager. i can see forest passing it around and trying to get into space but without pressing to an intense level.

it should be a good game for both teams, nottingham deserves to be known as a footballing city.

if we can give a good account of ourselves, that is all i hope to see but if they win by a large margin just remember how much money they have spent of their team. we are leagues a part and really its just a fun friendly.

12 hours ago, nightOWL said:

At the end of the day, the result won't matter unless you win. Go earn those bragging rights, County!

if they beat us its to be expected, they may act all mighty but we are a league two team at the end of the day. us beating a premier league team even in a friendly is something positive and worth being proud about. it will probably end up being a draw.

• Like 6

• Content Count:  56

I hope it's a fun afternoon out and that both sets of fans behave. Getting stuffed again wouldn't be a great feeling, but anything less than a 3 goal defeat will be fine as long as we play well.

• Like 7

• Content Count:  19

All we can expect is effort; whatever else happens is a bonus. To be honest, I would shout about it if we did win Forest. It would be quite pointless, but I just want to see the players try to impress us.

Notts might struggle to match them, but playing attacking football and trying would be a good thing.

• Like 6

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,483
  • Days Won:  9

I hope Luke Williams gives the youngsters a chance to play, but I think starting with a stronger squad than we did against Stoke would be useful. We are reaching the stage where settling the squad down for the season ahead is important. I have no objections to seeing them come on as substitutes.

Seeing what a strong 11 can do would tell Luke more. I don’t expect this to happen and I don’t really care if Notts lose. The important thing is fitness and getting the squad settled together.

• Like 7

• Content Count:  1,856
  • Days Won:  5

I hope we are more determined not to make silly mistakes. If the players do, I won’t call or shout nonsense at them, but I would feel disappointed. There are teams who play in friendlies like this, where the result matters. For me, I don’t care as much about winning, more about not embarrassing ourselves, which includes the fans. I would at least hope we find the net; otherwise, I just want to watch two Nottingham teams respecting each other. No doubt some armchair Forest fans will turn up trying it on.

• Like 6

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,427
  • Days Won:  15

Whatever happens, I won’t be getting away. I would also like to see Notts give a good account of themselves. Last season the players did well, even with all of Forest’s signings Notts should be more than capable of giving them a game. They might win, but it would be negative to lose in the manner we did against Stoke City.

This doesn’t mean I condone the abuse some players receive, but what it does mean is this friendly has higher stakes and the pride warrants the very best the players can give.

• Like 4

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  1,454

Given that Forest is our closest rival, the club and players will be keen to avoid a heavy defeat. Whether we can stop them is another matter, as Forest has invested heavily in quality players. We need to retain possession and avoid giving the ball away as we did against Stoke. Hopefully, John Bostock and Matt Palmer will start together, as they complement each other well, with Bostock providing cover for Palmer.

• Like 5

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,234
  • Days Won:  69

I hope the game remains a "friendly",there is no trouble,no one gets injured and Didzy gets a hat trick

• Like 4

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  18,299
  • Days Won:  28

Not sure what to make of this one, but i do hope Notts either win or draw... at least in hope that they to get defeated by too many goals. Its always a game that plays a big part among both sets of fans.

It is being streamed by Forest but at a cost for anyone who wants to watch it, if they can't make it to the match.

https://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news/2023/july/forest-stream-140723/

• Like 6

• Content Count:  1,856

Forest didn't seem to have multi-million pound players. They could pass the ball around, but otherwise looked lacklustre. I don't think they really contributed much to the friendly, but Notts did a lot better. Connell Rawlinson performed well in defence. Jodi Jones looked on par with Forest, and it took three or four players to contain him. Matt Palmer played well, but he wasn't my Man of the Match. David McGoldrick coped well with the physical game that Forest brought, with all the pushing and shoving.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

• Content Count:  1,319
  • Days Won:  1

Much better, I thought the youngsters did well. It was Luther on the left wing in the second half, wasn’t it? He controlled things well but looked like he had no confidence taking players on or crossing the ball. I felt for him.

The centre back actually did much better. I was pleased by the performance because Notts looked the better team.

• Like 6

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  1,454

A good game was played by two good teams. It was a vast improvement and I found the game to be very enjoyable. We had our chances early on, one of which we should have scored, but overall a good account was given.

The atmosphere was much improved. However, can we cut out the anti-Forest songs in friendlies like this? It makes Notts look obsessed and generally as if we are jealous. It was only a pre-season friendly, not a cup game. Until we are equals in the league, such games like this are irrelevant to sing so much about them.

• Like 4

• Content Count:  12,793
  • Days Won:  162

aaron nemane did excellent, especially early on. he turned the forest players quite easily, but they caught on and pretty much tried to out muscle him. matt palmer and connell rawlinson were class. its kyle cameron who stood out as being quite poor at times but it was a challenging friendly. he did some good stuff defensively but made some clinical mistakes which he needs to cut out. aidan stone looked good, he was better protected. david mcgoldrick looks fit as a fiddle as does jim o brien. mcgoldrick did some very good stuff. very happy with the account our players put in.

• Like 4

As I felt, Forest were happy to allow us to play, and they looked to pick up the ball/counter most of the time. The gifted goal, it was frustrating because it's the only thing that separates us from them. I don't think a Forest fan can say they outplayed us. Likewise, I don't think many would admit we were the most lively out of the two teams. I think they played well, but I do feel we created far better chances.

It was almost as if some of their players didn't put 100% in, not all but more than a few because they had a lot of skill and pace in their squad that should have caused more trouble.

I thought at times the friendly became a bit fiery with one of the Forest playing pretty much making the mistake on picking out Jim O'Brien and stamping on him, which resorted in Jim getting his foot tangled. I think Jim thought about kicking out in anger, but he stood up to him.

Although we had a few good opportunities, our finishing was hurried. If there was anyone who seemed capable of opening the scoring for us, it was David McGoldrick.

Macaulay Langstaff didn't stop chasing things, but he just didn't quite look like a threat on goal. There were times, some good moves, but they didn't work out. The friendly was entertaining, and we should both be happy with the performance.

• Like 4

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,234
  • Days Won:  69

Some interesting comments above.I'd like to know  how strong the Flor*st team/Notts team was through all parts of the game.I bet I get a lot of varying reports,which is to be expected.When I came away from Rams games with my mates we often had conflicting opinions.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, super_ram said:

I'd like to know  how strong the Flor*st team/Notts team was through all parts of the game.

They played a full strength squad.

First Half: George Shelvey; Joe Worrall (C), Moussa Niakhate, Josh Powell, Neco Williams; Orel Mangala, Remo Freuler, Brandon Aguilera; Emmanuel Dennis, Alex Mighten, Taiwo Awoniyi.

Second Half: George Shelvey; Scott McKenna, Willy Boly, Aaron Donnelly, Mohammed Drager; Danilo, Ryan Yates; Joe Gardner, Dale Taylor, Josh Bowler, Hwang Ui-Jo.

Notts broke into two squads, with youths featuring in the second half.

• Like 2
  • Love 1