Match Discussion: PSF - The Pilgrims (A)

PON_News

PSF - The Pilgrims (A)

Team: Boston United

Date: 22/07/2023

Where: Jakemans Community Stadium

What line-up should Luke Williams opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Like 4

Fingers crossed I can get to this game, I wasn't feeling well yesterday, but Telford always looked unlikely in truth.

I am seeing comments that we had another trialist, I hope we can see more of Nathan Claxton because he looked solid. It does seem as if the squad is starting to settle down, so I will leave the tactics and squad line-up to Luke Williams - whatever he chooses will be a good start I am sure.

I have enjoyed the pre-season so far; the squad looks fit and ready to go. It will be good to see how we do against some former Notts players!

• Like 10

If you attend this friendly, please report back with your thoughts on the trialists and in general. I don’t mind what Luke Williams decides to do, but with players getting more minutes, it looks as if he’s pushing for his first team to gain the match fitness we need for the Sutton game

• Like 8

It’s going to be a good test to see Notts playing Boston United. I hope that Luke Williams continues to give some of the youngsters game time. It’s always exciting to see new talent on the pitch. I’m also hoping that Sam Slocombe is close to making a return. Fitness is key in these pre-season games, and it will be a good run out for the team. Fingers crossed for a great match!

• Like 8

Supporter+

It should be a good match, if Williams puts out a strongish team we should run out easy winners (famous last words). :biggrin:

• Like 5

Boston United have made some good signings, including a few former Notts players. This may motivate them to raise their game and show Notts what they’re missing or that they’re good players. Jimmy Knowles will pose more of a threat than any of the away friendlies so far, with his pace and direct approach requiring us to be alert and focused. It should prove to be a better game.

• Like 7

It will be an excellent opportunity for the club to have a good run out against Boston United, who have a lovely new stadium. This match will provide a chance to see how the club compares against a team with a few familiar faces. I believe that Boston will give Notts the most significant challenge out of all the away pre-season friendlies. However, it’s important to remember that this is just an insight for the coaching team. I am hoping that Boston will try to park the bus, so we can finally see if we are creative enough to break down these types of teams without losing our composure.

As for the squad, I am sure that Luke Williams has his team in mind. I agree with those who have expressed their desire for the youngsters to get a chance. I suspect that they will until the start of the season.

• Like 6

i think notts did okay considering, boston made it difficult and i feel that was the point in the friendly. it was good to see a settled squad for the most part, by this i mean in terms of how we controlled the ball.

it was good to see the younger players come on at a point where notts could afford them pretty much a good amount of time on the ball.

Stone; Chicksen (Mahovo 76'), Cameron (Cisse 76'), Rawlinson (Brindley 76'), Adebayo-Rowling (Bajrami 55'); Palmer (Bostock 76'), O'Brien (McGregor 76'), Austin (McGoldrick 76'); Jones (Crowley 55'), Nemane (Munakandafa 76'); Scott (Langstaff 76')

• Like 4

Can anyone answer my question? Did Boston play ultra defensively ? I ask because i'm expecting a lot of teams to 'park the bus ' and try to frustrate Notts this coming season..

• Like 2

Supporter+
10 hours ago, super_ram said:

Can anyone answer my question? Did Boston play ultra defensively ? I ask because i'm expecting a lot of teams to 'park the bus ' and try to frustrate Notts this coming season..

@super_ram I didn’t go to the match but in the managers interview Notts were described as having 90% possession by the interviewer and the manager described Boston as being “defensively disciplined”, so I think we can draw our own conclusions.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Fan of Big Tone said:

@super_ram I didn’t go to the match but in the managers interview Notts were described as having 90% possession by the interviewer and the manager described Boston as being “defensively disciplined”, so I think we can draw our own conclusions.

4 hours ago, Piethagoram said:

Did Boston play ultra defensively ? asked @super_ram I would say they set up to get everyone behind the ball, especially after their heavy defeat to Lincoln a week earlier

That's what I thought but didn't want to jump to the wrong conclusion. So referring to my comment about expecting a lot of opposition teams using this tactic ,this game was exactly what Luke Williams wanted.He will have to try and work out how to beat stubborn defences .Great planning.

• Like 3

Supporter+
8 hours ago, super_ram said:

That's what I thought but didn't want to jump to the wrong conclusion. So referring to my comment about expecting a lot of opposition teams using this tactic ,this game was exactly what Luke Williams wanted.He will have to try and work out how to beat stubborn defences .Great planning.

Williams stressed the need for patience and concentration while we have possession, waiting for an opening and punishing any mistakes.

• Like 3

I should share a video I saw earlier with Luke Williams. It was about a South American team and how they inspired Malmo.

An extremely well-coordinated game that strategically exploits teams with a strong defensive approach. If good teams do it well, it allows for many chances without the loss of the ball. I can easily see English clubs adapting this into their game, someone like Williams' should be able to do it well.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Just as I saw the Stoke City game as a good lesson for observing Notts’ defensive struggles and lack of possession, I think the Boston United game was useful for the amount of ball we had and how they made the players use it. It was a game that, a while ago, Notts would have lost or drawn - most likely lost due to one attack that caught the players off guard.

• Like 3

technically, yes they parked the bus but they defended well. their keeper made some great saves to prevent notts from scoring more. attacking wise they were out of depth but defending is something i feel we do need to give them credit for.

• Like 3

I wasn’t at the match, but it seems like Boston heavily marked our players to the point where three or so of them were going in to clear the ball away from us. Domination is a good thing, even if we only won by one goal. It’s another valuable insight ahead of the upcoming season.

• Like 2

Boston sounded like a very good test. It deserves credit to shut out a team that plays good football, and it says a lot about both teams. Winning 1-0 isn’t a bad thing at all. The fact that we managed to score is the positive part, along with the relentless pushing for the scoring opportunity. It could have easily led to frustration and a lapse in concentration, resulting in them having fewer chances on goal but claiming the win.